Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Unopened door rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam DiRocco
United States
North Lima
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a Amateur Extra Class Ham radio Operator -- W8SDD
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing a scenario last night and ran into a situation we could not find an answer to in the rulebook.
We were in the next to the last room of the scenario. We killed the last monster with our last card. We had an unopened door.

Did we lose the scenario because we didn't get into the last room? Or do we just play another round with nothing but moves and looting?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Owen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the game objective. If it was to kill all monsters, then you did not complete the scenario if monsters spawn in that room.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus S
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
lowlight wrote:
Depends on the game objective. If it was to kill all monsters, then you did not complete the scenario if monsters spawn in that room.

Note the difference between "kill all enemies" and "kill all revealed enemies".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lowlight wrote:
Depends on the game objective. If it was to kill all monsters, then you did not complete the scenario if monsters spawn in that room.


QFT. What was the scenario objective?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam DiRocco
United States
North Lima
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a Amateur Extra Class Ham radio Operator -- W8SDD
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It was to "Kill ALL Monsters".

So if we kill all monsters in a room and have no way to move onto the door to get into the next room(s) by the end of the current round the scenario ends?

We can't just play another round just to move onto the door?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus S
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mondior wrote:
It was to "Kill ALL Monsters".

So if we kill all monsters in a room and have no way to move onto the door to get into the next room(s) by the end of the current round the scenario ends?

We can't just play another round just to move onto the door?

No. I'm not sure why you think the scenario would end. Killing all monsters means opening all doors and killing anything that is on the board after all doors are open. Just take move actions the next round and open the door, or long rest, and open them the following turn... There is nothing forcing you to open doors on a timeline or rushing to open them, you just have to do it in order to complete the scenario.

I honestly don't know if there are any situations where you could kill all enemies before opening all doors (ex. Rooms with no enemies).

Edit: you said in your OP that you used your last possible card. That means the scenario was failed if there is an unopened door.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Mondior wrote:
It was to "Kill ALL Monsters".

So if we kill all monsters in a room and have no way to move onto the door to get into the next room(s) by the end of the current round the scenario ends?

We can't just play another round just to move onto the door?


If you all ran out of cards, how would you play another round? I assume you mean all your cards were lost right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Szczepanski
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondior wrote:
Playing a scenario last night and ran into a situation we could not find an answer to in the rulebook.
We were in the next to the last room of the scenario. We killed the last monster with our last card. We had an unopened door.

Did we lose the scenario because we didn't get into the last room? Or do we just play another round with nothing but moves and looting?



It sounds like you have a lot of rules reading to do.

1) You must always play two cards so there can't be a round of just moving and looting if you don't have the cards to do it.
2) ALL enemies means every enemy shown in the scenario map plus any enemy summons. All REVEALED enemies is exactly that, any enemies and there summons that are currently on the board.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam DiRocco
United States
North Lima
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a Amateur Extra Class Ham radio Operator -- W8SDD
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OK. I guess I just can't explain myself well. Lets use Scenario 1 as an example. With 2 characters

Spoiler (click to reveal)
There are 3 rooms. We have killed all but one monster in room 1 by round 3. Next round Character 1 moves to the door and reveals the 2nd room and it is populated. Character 2 kills the last monster in room 1 and then moves into room 2. We fight for a couple of rounds. We have each Lost 2 or 3 cards. With resting we have plenty of cards in our pools. There is one monster left now in room 2. 1st character does his thing (Moves and Loots) with his 2 cards and ends his turn in the middle of the room. Character 2 moves adjacent to the last monster with card 1 and then attacks and kills it with card 2. The door to room 3 has not been opened and the round is now over. Character 1 has 3 cards in his Pool, 4 in his Discard, and 2 Lost. Character 2 has 3 cards in his Pool, 6 In his Discard, and 3 Lost.


To Kill All Monsters we need to get into the last room. Is the scenario over? Or do we each draw another 2 cards and continue?

Edited to add the spoiler box. Don't really think I put enough info in the post to be a spoiler but just in case
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Thane
England
Brough
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Up the Tigers
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The scenario is not over as you do not know whether you have killed all the monsters as you have not opened the last door.

So you need to play your next 2 cards (or rest and then do this) and then open the door and find out what awaits you
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondior wrote:
OK. I guess I just can't explain myself well. Lets use Scenario 1 as an example. With 2 characters

Spoiler (click to reveal)
There are 3 rooms. We have killed all but one monster in room 1 by round 3. Next round Character 1 moves to the door and reveals the 2nd room and it is populated. Character 2 kills the last monster in room 1 and then moves into room 2. We fight for a couple of rounds. We have each Lost 2 or 3 cards. With resting we have plenty of cards in our pools. There is one monster left now in room 2. 1st character does his thing (Moves and Loots) with his 2 cards and ends his turn in the middle of the room. Character 2 moves adjacent to the last monster with card 1 and then attacks and kills it with card 2. The door to room 3 has not been opened and the round is now over. Character 1 has 3 cards in his Pool, 4 in his Discard, and 2 Lost. Character 2 has 3 cards in his Pool, 6 In his Discard, and 3 Lost.


To Kill All Monsters we need to get into the last room. Is the scenario over? Or do we each draw another 2 cards and continue?

Edited to add the spoiler box. Don't really think I put enough info in the post to be a spoiler but just in case


Play continues until you reach the indicated goal. For Scenario 1, the goal is to kill all enemies, which includes the unrevealed ones behind that closed door. For each round, even when there are no enemies present in the room, you must play two cards. Once you enter the last room and clear it, then finish up the round and the scenario completes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Mondior wrote:
OK. I guess I just can't explain myself well. Lets use Scenario 1 as an example. With 2 characters

Spoiler (click to reveal)
There are 3 rooms. We have killed all but one monster in room 1 by round 3. Next round Character 1 moves to the door and reveals the 2nd room and it is populated. Character 2 kills the last monster in room 1 and then moves into room 2. We fight for a couple of rounds. We have each Lost 2 or 3 cards. With resting we have plenty of cards in our pools. There is one monster left now in room 2. 1st character does his thing (Moves and Loots) with his 2 cards and ends his turn in the middle of the room. Character 2 moves adjacent to the last monster with card 1 and then attacks and kills it with card 2. The door to room 3 has not been opened and the round is now over. Character 1 has 3 cards in his Pool, 4 in his Discard, and 2 Lost. Character 2 has 3 cards in his Pool, 6 In his Discard, and 3 Lost.


To Kill All Monsters we need to get into the last room. Is the scenario over? Or do we each draw another 2 cards and continue?

Edited to add the spoiler box. Don't really think I put enough info in the post to be a spoiler but just in case


You just keep playing like normal, taking rests and whatnot.

You never stop until you've completed the goal or you're all exhausted.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pelletier
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me - John 14:6
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondior wrote:
OK. I guess I just can't explain myself well. Lets use Scenario 1 as an example. With 2 characters

Spoiler (click to reveal)
There are 3 rooms. We have killed all but one monster in room 1 by round 3. Next round Character 1 moves to the door and reveals the 2nd room and it is populated. Character 2 kills the last monster in room 1 and then moves into room 2. We fight for a couple of rounds. We have each Lost 2 or 3 cards. With resting we have plenty of cards in our pools. There is one monster left now in room 2. 1st character does his thing (Moves and Loots) with his 2 cards and ends his turn in the middle of the room. Character 2 moves adjacent to the last monster with card 1 and then attacks and kills it with card 2. The door to room 3 has not been opened and the round is now over. Character 1 has 3 cards in his Pool, 4 in his Discard, and 2 Lost. Character 2 has 3 cards in his Pool, 6 In his Discard, and 3 Lost.


To Kill All Monsters we need to get into the last room. Is the scenario over? Or do we each draw another 2 cards and continue?

Edited to add the spoiler box. Don't really think I put enough info in the post to be a spoiler but just in case


By the looks of this it seems like the OP thinks you have to open the door to the next room before all of the monsters in the current room are dead. If that's what is tripping you up, there's no rule that says you have to do that. You can if that's your strategy, but I think 99% of us finish the room and then either rest or move to the next room on the subsequent turn.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam DiRocco
United States
North Lima
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a Amateur Extra Class Ham radio Operator -- W8SDD
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OK. It's clear now. Yeah, that's how we originally read it. It just din't make sense that way. We like to clear a room before venturing forth.

It's a never leave an enemy behind you type of thinking for us.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus S
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mondior wrote:
Is the scenario over? Or do we each draw another 2 cards and continue?

Are you "drawing" cards?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam DiRocco
United States
North Lima
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a Amateur Extra Class Ham radio Operator -- W8SDD
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CarcuS wrote:
Mondior wrote:
Is the scenario over? Or do we each draw another 2 cards and continue?

Are you "drawing" cards?


If you are asking if we are drawing them randomly from the pool, NO. We are picking which cards to plsy
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.