Subject: Baffling rule guide rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee Stoneman
United Kingdom
W-s-M
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tried to play this today with the Mrs and we gave up. The rules are impenetrable and terribly laid out. Even the setup is confusing. First they tell you to have one of each, then 3 of your choice then back to one of each. Where am I supposed to put them? No mention of it. Then it says pick 5 buildings, oh but wait, if it's your first time then do this instead.

All of the rules talk about the advanced boards with no reference to the beginner's boards - you know, the ones who might actually benefit from having rules explained.

The first mention of anchors I find is in relation to a card. What the hell are anchors? Where are my anchor tokens? It says i should have some anchors? Oh, they're on the buildings. Ok, how do I buy buildings? There's a dollar sign but I have no money tokens? Are they missing? Nope. How the hell am I supposed to buy stuff?

30 minutes of utter confusion later and we gave up. I think experienced gamers find it hard to remember what it feels like to play a game for the first time. Too much is taken for granted.

I'll try again and once I understand I'll do my own starter rules but for now this is an object lesson in how not to write game rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG Mate.

I'm really sorry you felt the rules where confusing, maybe a video could help?

Our good friend Richard Ham did a runthrough a while ago, here:

https://youtu.be/mb0CCwIaf5E

If we can be of any help, or you have any doubts or questions, just ask. I love this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
Here's a comprehensive tutorial video:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Featherstonhaugh
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's actually a very good game once you undertand it. I was surprised when my 12 year old son picked it twice as a preferred game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.