12 Posts

Ra» Forums » General

Subject: What is the difference between the 2012 and 2016 editions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
I got RA over a year ago because it was so hard to find but I think I have the 2012 edition. What's the difference between the newest one and that one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the art style is much worse for the newer version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Functionally, the only difference between the earliest and latest editions of Ra is the addition of two player rules, plus rules wording that clarifies some corner cases. Corner cases that have always had the same intended rule, but the wording may not have been crystal clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
I think the art style is much worse for the newer version.

I like the art style of the tiles better in the new version, but it is functionally worse than the earlier editions.

I prefer the wooden bidding tokens of the old version compared to the card board bidding tokens of the new version. I prefer the wooden Ra token of the old version compared to the plastic Ra mini in the new version.

The price and size of the box of the new version are excessive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
I got mine for $30 which is a good price I guess. I don;t have the edition with the misprinted Taj Mahal on the back thank god.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
I got RA over a year ago because it was so hard to find but I think I have the 2012 edition. What's the difference between the newest one and that one?

2012 2016

Publisher Uberplay, Windrider
Alea, Rio Grande Games

art different and subjective, but IIRC, 2012 is
more "functional", while 2016 is "prettier"

cost $30 to $40 $50 to $60

bidding suns wooden cardboard
+ Ra token

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
I got the one with the wooden pieces though it said Rio Grande on the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Oiler1 wrote:

2012 2016

Publisher Uberplay, Windrider
Alea, Rio Grande Games

art different and subjective, but IIRC, 2012 is
more "functional", while 2016 is "prettier"

cost $30 to $40 $50 to $60

bidding suns wooden cardboard
+ Ra token

That's not correct on publisher, it merges more than one edition under 2012

First edition was Alea, with Rio Grande as a licensee.

Second edition was Uberplay

Third edition was Rio Grande

Fourth edition is Windrider (Asmodee)

The Uberplay edition had larger tiles and different suns, but same basic artwork. Thecthird edition introduced two player rules. There is new art in the latest edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
I got mine for $30 which is a good price I guess. I don;t have the edition with the misprinted Taj Mahal on the back thank god.

I actually find that kind of endearing. FWIW, I have not had a single instance where the misprinted description on the back has interfered with my enjoyment of the game. I rarely read those descriptions anyway so it would never be an issue. A correctly printed description is certainly not something I would find worthy of thanking god for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
pfctsqr wrote:
Oiler1 wrote:

I actually find that kind of endearing. FWIW, I have not had a single instance where the misprinted description on the back has interfered with my enjoyment of the game. I rarely read those descriptions anyway so it would never be an issue. A correctly printed description is certainly not something I would find worthy of thanking god for.

Yes, I have the edition with the misprinted back (Rio Grande, 2012) and it's never bothered me at all, though it is a pretty spectacular fail.

I'm just happy to have got the game for under thirty quid, and with nice wooden pieces!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Thomas
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the 2012 version last Wednesday, my first time playing Ra. So much fun, I ran out and picked up the 2016 version today. Super disappointing!

Nice wood bidding markers turned to cardboard.

"Pretty" art that makes it more difficult to discern between tile types.

Worthless velour bag that barely holds the tile set.

Nicely detailed Ra statue, but much smaller and far less chunky than the wood marker in the original. Easier to miss on the table when resetting turn order.

Worthless box insert once everything is punched.

No bags for the point and bidding tokens.

$20 more expensive than the original.

I would go as far as saying this 2016 reprint is a shame compared to the older Rio Grande edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wavedog98 wrote:
Played the 2012 version last Wednesday, my first time playing Ra. So much fun, I ran out and picked up the 2016 version today. Super disappointing!

Nice wood bidding markers turned to cardboard.

"Pretty" art that makes it more difficult to discern between tile types.

Worthless velour bag that barely holds the tile set.

Nicely detailed Ra statue, but much smaller and far less chunky than the wood marker in the original. Easier to miss on the table when resetting turn order.

Worthless box insert once everything is punched.

No bags for the point and bidding tokens.

$20 more expensive than the original.

I would go as far as saying this 2016 reprint is a shame compared to the older Rio Grande edition.

For me, Uberplay was where this was at, but I'll still take the smaller tiles from Rio Grande which does keep the game footprint on the lower side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.