Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
....Rep. Steve King will clear things up for you.

Quote:
Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa), a conservative known for making inflammatory statements, came under fire Sunday for the commentary he attached to a tweet about far-right Dutch politician Geert Wilders.

King retweeted a message from an account labeled Voice of Europe, which labels itself as a "news/media" organization on Facebook but does not appear to be affiliated with the government-funded Voice of America broadcasting service.

The post the Iowa congressman shared Sunday shows an image of Wilders plugging a hole in a wall labeled “Western Civilization” as bearded protesters behind him hold signs that say, “Infidels, Know Your Limits” and “Freedom of Speech Go To Hell.”

“Wilders understands that culture and demographics are our destiny. We can’t restore our civilization with somebody else’s babies,” King tweeted alongside the original Voice of Europe message.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/323606-gop-lawmaker-invo...

Representative King could not be displaying his white supremacist views more clearly if he was in a white sheet.

And just in case it is still not clear, here is a tweet he sent to that same good buddy last year

Quote:
Wishing you successful vote. Cultural suicide by demographic transformation must end.

And if one says that he is just an outlier, lets see if he actually pays a penalty as in committee assignments or seniority, for these sentiments

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
He's in good company in using that imagery.

Anders Breivik, Norwegian mass-murderer wrote:
Feminism, corrupt treacherous politicians, a corrupt treacherous media, pro-immigration Jewry and a corrupt academia is the hole in the ‘dike,’ while Muslims are the water flooding in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dickie Crickets
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a good thing we have the executive branch to balance things out.

Unless, of course, the White House were to become the home of a demented white nationalist who uses a corrupt puppet President as his public face and brand. But what are the chances of that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So one person who has been saying crazy stuff for a while forwards something crazy, and now it's the direction of the GOP?

I get that you are hurting, scared, and angry. But if you became capable of separating Trump, the GOP, and registered Republicans, it would be a great thing. But, as I pointed out, you are hurting, scared, and angry. So distinctions like that don't matter to you. Just flail out at anything, and use all three interchangeably. After all, what matters is that you demonize everyone and don't leave a single person out, whether they deserve it or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
So one person who has been saying crazy stuff for a while forwards something crazy, and now it's the direction of the GOP?

I get that you are hurting, scared, and angry. But if you became capable of separating Trump, the GOP, and registered Republicans, it would be a great thing. But, as I pointed out, you are hurting, scared, and angry. So distinctions like that don't matter to you. Just flail out at anything, and use all three interchangeably. After all, what matters is that you demonize everyone and don't leave a single person out, whether they deserve it or not.

Please do show us the white knights (no pun intended) of the GOP in 2017 and I would agree with you. Otherwise you are trying to be clever by half.

The respectable, Republican party of the pre-90s is dead and buried.

You're like the one kid in the hoodlum gang, that after his mates destroyed a home, and you saw one kid NOT taking a dump in the owner's sock drawer, try to point out how not everyone should be blamed for shitting on the socks. All the while, there is nothing left in the house that resembles a habitable place.

Conservatives have failed at policing and controlling the worst elements of humanity, which happen to occupy the majority of the the modern-day GOP.

Watching a crime and not reporting it is as great of an offense as committing it.

Of course, it is easier to live with oneself, away from the site of the offense, if one believes really, really hard that it wasn't that bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
GameCrossing wrote:

I find it hypocritical and disingenuous that Liberals are so quick to lump all Repubs into the white-supremacist camp,

but jump all over anyone who lumps all Muslims into the extremist Muslim camp.

Is there a difference that I don't see?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
But if you became capable of separating Trump, the GOP, and registered Republicans, it would be a great thing.

Who elected Trump and King? Registered Republicans. Anyone going to defend Trump or King as not being racist?

Any other examples of GOP members being racist? Any GOP members decrying the racism of other GOP members? It'd be easier to separate them if the did something to distinguish themselves.

And your condescending "hurting, scared, and angry" makes look like a bit of a Tripp. No, that's not a compliment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve1501 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

I find it hypocritical and disingenuous that Liberals are so quick to lump all Repubs into the white-supremacist camp,

Actually yes there is

We have the GOP Justice Department deciding to pull back on lawsuits in defense of civil rights violations for minorities. Not only that for the findings of massive civil rights violations that were found in Chicago we have this reaction from the Attorney General

Quote:
In a briefing with reporters yesterday, Attorney General Jeff Sessions said he’s still deciding whether or not to implement reforms for the Chicago Police Department. The reforms, suggested by the DOJ’s Civil Rights Division, were part of a blistering report on the city’s police agency that was published at the tail end of President Obama’s second term. This section from the Reuters write-up of the briefing jumped out at me:

Sessions said he had seen summaries of both the Chicago report and the report that the Obama Justice Department completed on police in Ferguson.

“Some of it was pretty anecdotal and not so scientifically based,” Sessions said.

Of course, the summary for any study will be anecdotal, and not particularly heavy on data. That’s the whole point of a summary. I’m not entirely sure what Sessions means by “scientifically-based.” But the DOJ’s Ferguson study is based on a wealth of data, much of supplied by the legal aid group ArchCity Defenders and the advocacy group Better Together. And much of the data from those organizations comes from the municipalities in St. Louis County themselves — data from police agencies, city budgets, and municipal courts. If Sessions couldn’t find data in the Ferguson study, it’s because he didn’t look for it.

And as it turns out, he really didn’t look for it.

Asked by The Huffington Post whether he had read the Civil Rights Division’s investigative reports on the police departments in Chicago and Ferguson, Missouri, Sessions conceded he had not. But, he said, he didn’t think they were necessarily reliable.

“I have not read those reports, frankly.”

Just to be clear, the U.S. attorney general is currently deciding whether to continue to enforce civil rights reforms suggested by the Civil Rights Division of DOJ in Chicago and Ferguson — but he’s apparently pondering that decision without having read the reports supporting those reforms. He only read the summaries. Not surprisingly, he found that the summaries lack data. As summaries tend to do.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2017/02/28/...

We also have them pulled out from a voting rights lawsuit, again for the rights of minorities in Texas

Strangely this is under the watchful eye of the new Attorney General, who managed to miss out on a judgeship because of some rather interesting testimony on his racial views during his confirmation.

And we also have the oh so appropriate examples of the GOP in North Carolina, where in August of last year...

Quote:
...a three-judge federal appeals panel struck down the North Carolina law, calling it "the most restrictive voting law North Carolina has seen since the era of Jim Crow." Drawing from the emails and other evidence, the 83-page ruling charged that Republican lawmakers had targeted "African-Americans with almost surgical precision."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-n...

And speaking of that Texas lawsuit for Gerrymandering

Quote:
On Friday evening, a panel of federal judges in the Western District of Texas ruled 2-1 that three Congressional districts must be redrawn. The two judges who sided with the plaintiffs found that the way in which these three districts were drawn amounted to an unconstitutional dilution of the Hispanic vote. The ruling affects the districts currently represented by Reps. Blake Farenthold (R), Will Hurd (R), and Lloyd Doggett (D).

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2017/0311/Will-gerryma...

But the Justice Department pulled out of this lawsuit against a GOP attempt to discriminate against Hispanic voters. Funny that.

So sorry, its not a matter of me being "hurting, scared and angry", as much as others being too blind to what the GOP has now become, and the horrendous path they are willing to take.

And I am still waiting to see if Rep King actually suffers any meaningful sanctions for his outrageous statements as well

Its not demonizing if there is actually a real demon afoot in the GOP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve1501 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

I think the only people being tossed in the NN bin are NN or white nationalists. Steve King just let out the signal that he is firmly planted at that table.

Those that support this dude are indirectly or directly supporting that philosophy. There is no parsing, equivocating, or dodging that.

If a politician that I supported tweeted this white nationalist bullshit, they would lose my vote immediately and I may do everything that I could to undermine their remaining time in office.

It really is that simple.

As for the politicians that you support, I have no idea, nor would I make that assumption about you.

But trying to muddy the waters on who is a white nationalist or anti-muslim, is just aiding and abetting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve1501 wrote:
I find it hypocritical and disingenuous that Liberals are so quick to lump all Repubs into the white-supremacist camp, but jump all over anyone who lumps all Muslims into the extremist Muslim camp.

Ironic that in this post you do the very thing that you decry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve1501 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

Nope. None whatsoever that I can think of.

Oh, are you saying that because I'm a Republican that I am a Muslim-hater? Sorry, I've been on record as saying we need to take in more refugees. I have frequently called out GOPers here who went on Islamophobic rants.

So no, I fully agree with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm! ... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
Well you claim it's your party and they are doing it in your name - so SORT your house out.

You haven't really got grounds to complain about how it's done if the rest of us have to do the task for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
But if you became capable of separating Trump, the GOP, and registered Republicans, it would be a great thing.

Who elected Trump and King? Registered Republicans. Anyone going to defend Trump or King as not being racist?

Any other examples of GOP members being racist? Any GOP members decrying the racism of other GOP members? It'd be easier to separate them if the did something to distinguish themselves.

And your condescending "hurting, scared, and angry" makes look like a bit of a Tripp. No, that's not a compliment.

Here's the thing though: I am not saying not to fight against the evils that are being done in this administration. By all means, fight them. I will stand with you*. We need to protect this nation from what others are trying to do to it.

That, fighting against injustice and things that will do others harm, that is not being done out of a reaction to being hurt, scared, or angry. What -IS- a reaction to that is trying to slander everyone as a racist or bigot and lumping every individual into the same pot of ugliness. Truth, accuracy, all of it be damned. Just flail around and don't even remotely care about whether what accusations you make are true of one group compared to another. Accuse them all. Everyone is deserving. THAT is what has spawned from the hurt, fear, and anger. So yes, I knew it was condescending when I said it, but nobody else was going to point it out, were they? Everyone else would either be led by the nose by the fearmongering or stand back with the far-too-typical attitude of "Well, he's going further than I would, but you know..." Tribalism at its finest on display.

There are factions in the GOP now. It's more fractured than it's been in a while. And yes, initially everyone has fallen in line, to the party's shame. But as that becomes more untenable, those factions will show.

As for examples, I have contacted Jason Chaffetz's office (phone and mail... e-mail is too easily scrolled over, deleted, and dismissed) and told them how shameful it is to say he may pursue an investigation which has no basis beyond a recanted accusation from a radio talk show host while leaving testimony under oath which casts suspicion on ties with Russia on the vine. And I have quite a few friends in this red, red state of mine who are also highlighting the ugliness that has come from becoming a party of populists and are fighting to reclaim it, at least locally.

But that and a lot of similar grassroots stories are far less salacious than an othering-fest. So... sorry to intrude. As you were.

* By and large. I am sure there are some smaller things on the fringe where we would disagree whether it is hurtful or destructive, but those are the rare instances from what I've seen from him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
Donald wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

Here's the thing though: I am not saying not to fight against the evils that are being done in this administration. By all means, fight them. I will stand with you*. We need to protect this nation from what others are trying to do to it.

That, fighting against injustice and things that will do others harm, that is not being done out of a reaction to being hurt, scared, or angry. What -IS- a reaction to that is trying to slander everyone as a racist or bigot and lumping every individual into the same pot of ugliness. Truth, accuracy, all of it be damned. Just flail around and don't even remotely care about whether what accusations you make are true of one group compared to another. Accuse them all. Everyone is deserving. THAT is what has spawned from the hurt, fear, and anger. So yes, I knew it was condescending when I said it, but nobody else was going to point it out, were they? Everyone else would either be led by the nose by the fearmongering or stand back with the far-too-typical attitude of "Well, he's going further than I would, but you know..." Tribalism at its finest on display.

There are factions in the GOP now. It's more fractured than it's been in a while. And yes, initially everyone has fallen in line, to the party's shame. But as that becomes more untenable, those factions will show.

As for examples, I have contacted Jason Chaffetz's office (phone and mail... e-mail is too easily scrolled over, deleted, and dismissed) and told them how shameful it is to say he may pursue an investigation which has no basis beyond a recanted accusation from a radio talk show host while leaving testimony under oath which casts suspicion on ties with Russia on the vine. And I have quite a few friends in this red, red state of mine who are also highlighting the ugliness that has come from becoming a party of populists and are fighting to reclaim it, at least locally.

But that and a lot of similar grassroots stories are far less salacious than an othering-fest. So... sorry to intrude. As you were.

* By and large. I am sure there are some smaller things on the fringe where we would disagree whether it is hurtful or destructive, but those are the rare instances from what I've seen from him.

Nobody is arguing that all conservatives, regardless if you identify as a member of the Republican party, is in lock-step with that party... but there really are a lot of Republicans that are so far off the end, that a topic like white nationalism is allowed to get a second of air-time, is inconceivable to my brain - but here we are in 2017, racist bullshit (historical racism, not contrived racism) still pervades this broken country. To point a fine point on the matter, there is one of the closet advisor to the POTUS, who jerks off to white nationalism porn, and guess who allowed him to get there? It wasn't the Democratic party.

You are either a villager that says "we didn't know about those camps over there" or you are trying to storm those camps. There is no middle ground here, and soft-peddling around the semantics of this or bringing out fringe arguments trying to squeeze out a "similarity in racism if..." argument, just to give the impression that there is any symmetry to the nastiness that oozes from the current GOP is dishonest.

I guess if the Democratic party was demonizing a race or religion, and I sat there with my thumb up my ass allowing it to continue one more term (let alone five now), I would start to think how complicit I was in allowing it to continue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:

So sorry, its not a matter of me being "hurting, scared and angry", as much as others being too blind to what the GOP has now become, and the horrendous path they are willing to take.

And I am still waiting to see if Rep King actually suffers any meaningful sanctions for his outrageous statements as well

I agree with you, repeatedly have, and repeatedly will. There is a demon who needs to be fought. But this mistake (and it was certainly that) does not define the party as you'd like to believe so you can keep on going with your hatehatehate and fearfearfear. Trump needs to be stopped. But you and others of your ilk are more than happy to squelch the voices of allies you would find within the GOP in the name of tarring everyone in one reflexive action.

Do you -want- allies for stopping Trump from within the GOP? Because as someone who doesn't feel at home in the GOP right now with the libertarian/populist tack that is currently dominating and fighting to help another faction rise up and challenge/resist, there is nothing from the outside that makes me want to join any movement, any protest, and sort of demonstration. I'm not welcome there either. But you get your hate, so good on ya for that.

Momentum is on your side, so keep rolling with it. Pave everything in your path.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:

I agree with you, repeatedly have, and repeatedly will. There is a demon who needs to be fought. But this mistake (and it was certainly that) does not define the party as you'd like to believe so you can keep on going with your hatehatehate and fearfearfear. Trump needs to be stopped. But you and others of your ilk are more than happy to squelch the voices of allies you would find within the GOP in the name of tarring everyone in one reflexive action.

Do you -want- allies for stopping Trump from within the GOP? Because as someone who doesn't feel at home in the GOP right now with the libertarian/populist tack that is currently dominating and fighting to help another faction rise up and challenge/resist, there is nothing from the outside that makes me want to join any movement, any protest, and sort of demonstration. I'm not welcome there either. But you get your hate, so good on ya for that.

Momentum is on your side, so keep rolling with it. Pave everything in your path.

Start leading then, instead of constantly trying to climb up on the mount to proclaim your innocence.

We get it. We get it. You aren't like them.

Is that enough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
Kumitedad wrote:
Steve1501 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

Actually yes there is

We have the GOP Justice Department deciding to pull back on lawsuits in defense of civil rights violations for minorities. Not only that for the findings of massive civil rights violations that were found in Chicago we have this reaction from the Attorney General

Quote:
In a briefing with reporters yesterday, Attorney General Jeff Sessions said he’s still deciding whether or not to implement reforms for the Chicago Police Department. The reforms, suggested by the DOJ’s Civil Rights Division, were part of a blistering report on the city’s police agency that was published at the tail end of President Obama’s second term. This section from the Reuters write-up of the briefing jumped out at me:

Sessions said he had seen summaries of both the Chicago report and the report that the Obama Justice Department completed on police in Ferguson.

“Some of it was pretty anecdotal and not so scientifically based,” Sessions said.

Of course, the summary for any study will be anecdotal, and not particularly heavy on data. That’s the whole point of a summary. I’m not entirely sure what Sessions means by “scientifically-based.” But the DOJ’s Ferguson study is based on a wealth of data, much of supplied by the legal aid group ArchCity Defenders and the advocacy group Better Together. And much of the data from those organizations comes from the municipalities in St. Louis County themselves — data from police agencies, city budgets, and municipal courts. If Sessions couldn’t find data in the Ferguson study, it’s because he didn’t look for it.

And as it turns out, he really didn’t look for it.

Asked by The Huffington Post whether he had read the Civil Rights Division’s investigative reports on the police departments in Chicago and Ferguson, Missouri, Sessions conceded he had not. But, he said, he didn’t think they were necessarily reliable.

“I have not read those reports, frankly.”

Just to be clear, the U.S. attorney general is currently deciding whether to continue to enforce civil rights reforms suggested by the Civil Rights Division of DOJ in Chicago and Ferguson — but he’s apparently pondering that decision without having read the reports supporting those reforms. He only read the summaries. Not surprisingly, he found that the summaries lack data. As summaries tend to do.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2017/02/28/...

We also have them pulled out from a voting rights lawsuit, again for the rights of minorities in Texas

Strangely this is under the watchful eye of the new Attorney General, who managed to miss out on a judgeship because of some rather interesting testimony on his racial views during his confirmation.

And we also have the oh so appropriate examples of the GOP in North Carolina, where in August of last year...

Quote:
...a three-judge federal appeals panel struck down the North Carolina law, calling it "the most restrictive voting law North Carolina has seen since the era of Jim Crow." Drawing from the emails and other evidence, the 83-page ruling charged that Republican lawmakers had targeted "African-Americans with almost surgical precision."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-n...

And speaking of that Texas lawsuit for Gerrymandering

Quote:
On Friday evening, a panel of federal judges in the Western District of Texas ruled 2-1 that three Congressional districts must be redrawn. The two judges who sided with the plaintiffs found that the way in which these three districts were drawn amounted to an unconstitutional dilution of the Hispanic vote. The ruling affects the districts currently represented by Reps. Blake Farenthold (R), Will Hurd (R), and Lloyd Doggett (D).

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2017/0311/Will-gerryma...

But the Justice Department pulled out of this lawsuit against a GOP attempt to discriminate against Hispanic voters. Funny that.

Oh, I see now.
You can see a demon that must be opposed that has taken over much but not all of the Repub Party.

But, you don't see the demon that has taken over part but far from all the Muslim believers and some see that it threatens always to expand because they see it in the plain language of the book.

Recently, I ran into the same attitude in another thread.
There, some Millennials attacked all Baby Boomers because of policies about half of them supported while the other half fought them tooth and nail but lost. It felt like they were attacking me personally.
. . And, the reason they won was that they alined with majorities of the 2 older generations, not that they were the majority all by themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve1501 wrote:
THINGS

The difference being is that these supposed "Muslim factions" aren't representatives of OUR government, and thus a direct extension of the people (and their beliefs). One is local and immediate, the other is an entity that has very little power or consequence to me at all.

And the two are similar, how? Except they are both things that people demonize?

What exactly is your point... just trying not to assume here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Steve1501 wrote:

Oh, I see now.
You can see a demon that must be opposed that has taken over much but not all of the Repub Party.

But, you don't see the demon that has taken over part but far from all the Muslim believers and some see that it threatens always to expand because they see it in the plain language of the book.

I never get tired of seeing people whose entire study of the Qur'an consists of "some quotes I read on a website" talk about how obvious it is that ISIS and al-Qaeda got it right, and that the overwhelming majority of the world's Muslims, and 1400 years of mainstream Islamic scholarship are just too dumb or too naïve to see what's so plain to their cursory reading of the text.

You guys need to get some jobs teaching at Islamic universities, you know, spread the obvious word that everyone else somehow managed to miss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
darthhugo wrote:
Steve1501 wrote:
THINGS

The difference being is that these supposed "Muslim factions" aren't representatives of OUR government, and thus a direct extension of the people (and their beliefs). One is local and immediate, the other is an entity that has very little power or consequence to me at all.

And the two are similar, how? Except they are both things that people demonize?

What exactly is your point... just trying not to assume here.

I can see why you are confused.
My 1st post in this thread was not well written. I said it that way to make that point.

A few words about me. I went to a 90% Jewish HS for my senior year in a town next to Skokie, ILL. My best neighborhood friends that year are/were Jewish. I introduced one of them to my older brother when he came home on final leave before the Army shipped him over to Vietnam. Just 3 mo. later he was badly injured [lost a leg] and flown home for treatment. He married that Jewish girl I introduced him to. I don't have a problem with Jews, but I do have a problem with people who hate and hurt Jews.
. . I have spent time with just a few Muslims or Arabs in my life. I rented half of my 2 Bdrm apt. to an older Univ. of Colo. student, but we didn't interact much. I cleaned a carpet in the apt. of another CU student from Saudi Arabia. He spent the whole time trying to get me to convert and saying that Islam would take over the world. Israel 1st, then the parts of Europe that they had ever ruled; Spain, Sicily, Greece, and the Balkans, then everywhere. So, I'm not an Arab hater or Muslim hater. I believe in "live and let live". But, my limited experience has led me to see a demon [to use the word used in this thread] that most Liberals don't see.

You asked, "What is your point?"
I have 3 points.
1] Everyone should avoid lumping all people in a large group that is defined loosely or broadly, avoid lumping them all together as if they are all the same. If you see a demon associated with some of that group, DO NOT lump others of that group who oppose that demon in with them because a) it's wrong and b) it drives away possible allies of yours in the fight against what the demon you see represents.

2] Everyone should be a little more tolerant of people who mostly agree with you when their personal life experiences lead them to see demons that you don't see. Despite your certainty that there is no demon, history has shown repeatedly that sometimes the minority do see real demons before the majority does. [The most famous recent one is Churchill's opinion about the need to fight the Nazis.] So, long as they are not committing evil acts you should be able to have a calm reasoned conversation with them about the demon, and in the end, agree to disagree. Oppose their plans and policies politically without jumping down their throat every time you talk to them.

3] I live in Thailand. I can't vote in America because I've been gone too long and don't think my 1 vote for just President makes any difference. [I'm not even sure how expats get an Elector in the E. College.] My opinions, therefore, have no impact beyond convincing those who can be convinced. Jumping down my throat here at BGG RSP is not going to change anything in the world. It just adds to the toxicity of the site.
. . I don't have any firm ideas for policies about what America should do about the demon that I see. I just think that we should keep it in mind for now and think about it. Don't deny it and hope it will go away though.
. . I do wish I could do a lot more about the Neo-Nazis in the current White House. Frankly I didn't believe it could be possible that a Neo-Nazi would be appointed Chief of Staff in the WH West Wing even if the ___?___ named D. Trump was elected President.

Please feel free to fill in the blank with your own insulting word to describe Mr. Trump.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
toku42 wrote:
Steve1501 wrote:

Oh, I see now.

I never get tired of seeing people whose entire study of the Qur'an consists of "some quotes I read on a website" talk about how obvious it is that ISIS and al-Qaeda got it right, and that the overwhelming majority of the world's Muslims, and 1400 years of mainstream Islamic scholarship are just too dumb or too naïve to see what's so plain to their cursory reading of the text.

You guys need to get some jobs teaching at Islamic universities, you know, spread the obvious word that everyone else somehow managed to miss.

You forgot the green ink.

I think if took such a job I'd be murdered in less than a week.
And, Muslims are worse than most religionists when it comes to taking instruction on Islam from an atheist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The headline does say trending, and with the uogick in blatent white power bullshit from national level officials in the GOP I would say trending is a fwir assessment. I would love to see King isolated and made a pariah by the GOP. His was some pure distilled old fashioned genetic purity bullshit. There is zero excuse or confusion in his case. If he was to be stripped of committee positions and left dangling in the wind for the remaider of his term with censure over his head I would be more inclined to be sympathetic to the 'not all!' camp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Steve1501 wrote:
toku42 wrote:
Steve1501 wrote:

Oh, I see now.

You forgot the green ink.

I think if took such a job I'd be murdered in less than a week.
And, Muslims are worse than most religionists when it comes to taking instruction on Islam from an atheist.

I figure green is unnecessary when sarcasm is blindingly obvious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:

You have something of a point here. It would be a stronger point if any prominent elected Republicans came out to decry King's statement. So far, one Iowa county level official has said something about 'not agreeing'. Otherwise, if ANY moderately prominent elected (and not retired) Republican has decried King's statement, I sure haven't seen it.

The fact that King, who doesn't even have the feeble excuse of 'southern heritage' (newsflash: Iowans fought and died for the Union) has this little hate-filled flag on his desk...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve1501 wrote:

the difference is that I can throw a rock into the street and probably hit a Muslim who's willing to say without hesitation that extremist murders don't represent him and pervert the spirit of Islam, while if you threw a rock into the 2016 GOP convention it's probably wasn't possible to find a Republican who admits that the Southern Strategy was and is a continuing plank of the party, much less that they thought it was wrong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.