Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefan G
Germany
Ahaus
Northrhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I played 4 games now and wonder.. Why should I ship my goods for money, at least on blue and brown worlds? On blue I need 2 dice and 2 phases for 3 credits. Sending them to explore instead, I need only 1 phase that must be played, and get 4 credits out of my 2 dice. On brown it is at least balanced with 4 credits, but I still need 2 phases to be played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Typically, this will be done while *also* consuming other goods for VPs, or if one has Produce or Ship powers that enhance doing so, or to not let other players take advantage of your constantly calling Explore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smeltzer
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, your tableau may give you bonuses that make producing and/or shipping more profitable for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan G
Germany
Ahaus
Northrhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Okay, that would make sense.
Oh, an answer from the designer himself
Then let me say just a quick "Thank you" for that great game. We got it friday, played 5 or 6 sessions since then, and can't get enough of it. Hope there will be some more expansions

Tom Lehmann wrote:
Typically, this will be done while *also* consuming other goods for VPs, or if one has Produce or Ship powers that enhance doing so, or to not let other players take advantage of your constantly calling Explore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sometimes you produce on a brown or blue world planning to consume, but then decide to trade (taking a loss on the blue world compared to if you had just explored) because you really need those 3 credits for the next turn. But if you have matching color on at least 1 of the produce-ship dice, you are correct that it almost always better to consume than trade. If you don't have any matching colors or bonuses off of producing or shipping, shipping is a bad way to get points (2 dice for 1 point vs 2 dice for 2 points with settle or dev).

With 4 or 5 players, whether something takes 1 phase (exploration) or 2 phases (produce-ship) is not that relevant. When you have a better produce-ship engine out than other players, it's often in your best interest to never explore. You can just keep shipping for points and credits and race to end the game on shipping points, while the other players need to keep exploring to get more tiles and credits (which you can count on and also put dice on explore).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Choosing any phase where you are only getting use out of one die is typically a bad move (which will be the case if you have only one production world)
But if you have a production world and expect another player to choose the produce or ship phase, it can be a good idea to leave a die there so you gain some benefit from your opponent's phase choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.