Andreas Becker
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just looking for any suggestions! Cuba Libre was absolutely amazing. I wanted to play it the moment we finished, even though our first full game took over five hours and ended at 1 a.m.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
there's an expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andean Abyss is the closest mechanically. The primary difference between the two in terms or rules is that AA adds Lines of Communication (which are similar to, but different than the Economic Centers in CL.) The published game will be longer than AA, but I think there was a shorter scenario published in C3i at some point.

A Distant Plain takes another step up in complexity from AA. And Fire in the Lake is another step up from ADP. Liberty or Death and Falling Sky are difficult to categorize as they don't share as much in common with the other four as the original games in the series.

Colonial Twilight: The French-Algerian War, 1954-62 is coming out soon and is purely a 2-player game. It will be pretty similar to the first four titles and probably somewhere between AA and ADP in terms of complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Becker
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rstites25 wrote:
Andean Abyss is the closest mechanically. The primary difference between the two in terms or rules is that AA adds Lines of Communication (which are similar to, but different than the Economic Centers in CL.) The published game will be longer than AA, but I think there was a shorter scenario published in C3i at some point.

A Distant Plain takes another step up in complexity from AA. And Fire in the Lake is another step up from ADP. Liberty or Death and Falling Sky are difficult to categorize as they don't share as much in common with the other four as the original games in the series.

Colonial Twilight: The French-Algerian War, 1954-62 is coming out soon and is purely a 2-player game. It will be pretty similar to the first four titles and probably somewhere between AA and ADP in terms of complexity.

I have Colonial Twilight preordered since we play a ton of two-player games! Can't wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FightOnGoBlue wrote:
Just looking for any suggestions! Cuba Libre was absolutely amazing. I wanted to play it the moment we finished, even though our first full game took over five hours and ended at 1 a.m.

Welcome to the COIN addiction. I have played 3 different games. Cuba Libre the most. It is the shortest game of all. You can knock out a game of Cuba Libre in 3 hours when everybody knows the game well.

I've played Liberty or Death and A Distant Plain both once. I wish I had the time to play more, both solo and opposed.

I LOVED Liberty or death. But it is longer and more complex. I think it would take one play-through with each faction before I would even begin to see the forest for the trees. But it is a beautiful game. Watch Joel Eddy's review (Drive Thru Review).

Falling Sky is the one that appears to be less chaotic than Cuba Libre, but at the same time, not too long. From a very unscientific reading of the forums, reviews, etc, it seems that FS strikes a nice balance between length and strategy that a lot of people like.

Bonus with Falling Sky and LoD: they are available and there is an expansion coming for FS soonish.

LoD, ADP, and FiTL get progressively more complex (in roughly that order).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also be interested that an expansion to Cuba Libre is in the works.

Given how rarely I practically manage to get this game to the table, I am personally holding out for that instead of buying further COIN games, as much as I would like to play more of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, my first COIN game also was Cuba Libra and even though I've only played against myself (both with the bots and just me playing all factions) I find I set up the game and play through it so often that I just HAD to get another game in the series. After looking through the games I decided on Liberty or Death: The American Insurrection due to my interest in the time period and the game is just so dang attractive! I just got it a few days ago and have only started reading the rules and admired the playing pieces and the map board. I haven't had the time to set it up yet... It is one of the most beautiful board games I own and I just couldn't resist getting it.

I've had COIN games on my mind so much now that when I am reading about stuff in history or watching the news I find myself pondering which "side" in a conflict would be which sort of faction if it were in a COIN game. I guess I have it kind of bad...

EDIT: OP - I would suggest to get the game that has the most appealing theme to you. Once you know how the basics work it's just adding some additional rules. Even though I've only just perused the rules in LoD since I feel that I basically know how to play Cuba Libra I'm finding the rules for LoD not to be that bad so far. The complexities in COIN games seems to be what the individual factions can do, the cards, and how everything (and the factions) all relate with each other and their victory conditions which I am guessing will take the most time to fully "grok" anyway regardless of which game you go with next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.