Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

DISCLAIMER:I AM IN NO WAY ASSOCIATED, EMPLOYED, OR OTHERWISE HAVE CONTACT WITH SGP OR LYNNVANDER OTHER THAN AS A BACKER ON KICK STARTER AND AS A FAN OF TERMINATOR AND THIS GAME.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO OBSERVE, COMMENT, AND OTHERWISE INTERACT WITH MYSELF AND OTHERS IN THIS THREAD AS I AM POSTING THIS AS A WAY TO GENERATE INTEREST IN THIS GAME. THANKS!

I would like to take a few moments and talk about this game, Terminator: the official board game.
Specifically, I would like to talk about how far this game has come in a short time.
As some of you may be aware, there was a P'n'P that the developers put out to give us a taste of the game.
It was meant as a demo of the core concept of the game, i.e. the relationship between the 2 boards, 1984 and 2029. It gave us an idea of cardplay and some other basic mechanics.
My own observations of the PnP(keeping it 100% real here) was that it was a mess.
Poorly edited and written rules, crude graphic representation, and incomplete components(not all cards were available).
Here is the thing, tho. I still got the main idea of the game and saw the potential that this game had with its dual board inter-relationship. The boards are two different style games that can affect the other.
The myriad of developmental possibilities with this idea is astounding. The sheer potential alone was enough for me to keep an eye on it for a while, and then finally back it on KS.
That being said, I feel that there is still a large number of folks out there who have had the PnP(and the review of it and comments about it) stuck in their heads.
Let me encourage you to revisit this KS campaign and see for yourself how much this game has come since the PnP. SGP and Lynnvander have been hard at work on this one, and have been communicating with and listening to their backers and fans.
The campaign is heading into its last few days and I think if one takes the time to view the KS mainpage, that they will see marked improvement.

Better graphics, components, and rules and mechanics explanations are among the changes.
They have improved and streamlined the mainpage to better show pledge levels and categories of expansions and add-ons.
They have also posted a new video(2 days ago) that show aspects of gameplay and gives a better showing of components and cards and cardplay.

But best see it for yourself. The video can be found in the video section under MORE at the top of this game's bgg page.

Thanks for your time and do consider giving Terminator: the official bosrdgame another look, I don't think you will be dissappointed.

Thanks again for reading and participating
Yours Truly
Erik Stonemark-Board game enthusiast and Terminator fan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pseudo Nym
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It sorta bums me out how quickly minds seem to have been made up about this game, prematurely. It's come lightyears in an extremely short time, and will continue to improve between now and when it goes to print.

This is definitely a great time to purge your early opinions, reassess with all the new info, and make another call. It really is a whole new campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McGonigle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
It saddens me more that there isn't more games at this stage on KS.
It's really what it was invented for. Pre-order stuff elsewhere.
It's supposed to be a launchpad for developing ideas and concepts.
CMON etc just use it as upfront ATM. All these "it's not ready for launch" comments totally miss the point, and that's mainly due to expectations raised from companies that don't really need KS to launch a game in the first place.

I think this will blossom into a unique & successful board game (based on 2 board paradox mechanic), whereas most bigger launched game will probably gather dust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
BoardOfTheRings wrote:
All these "it's not ready for launch" comments totally miss the point, and that's mainly due to expectations raised from companies that don't really need KS to launch a game in the first place.

I think the game looks promising and will definitely follow its development - but on the other hand, I don't think you can really count "a KS game should have at least a rulebook ready" as an expectation unreasonably raised by other companies. Many other KS games created by people with (presumably) 9 to 5 jobs have better rulebooks and prototypes than this one initially had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the campaign should have launched following Emerald City Comicon, not two weeks prior. The current story would be much different. Kickstarter is not the place it was even two years ago, and anyone launching a project should be aware of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scottie Mick
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted in another thread why I'm backing:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25324739#25324739

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed and then canceled after I saw the p'n'p. The game has a slick license, but it's clear it's not worked out. The graphic design is pretty bad too. These two red flags say to me that it's a long shot this company can produce a board game I actually want to own.

FWIW, I also passed on Dark Souls for similar reasons (it was clear they didn't have a working game) and it's been in development hell for a year. KS is full of dreams and failures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Has Space Goat shown any production miniatures from their previous Evil Dead 2 campaign? The only miniatures I could find are the 3D prints.

The Terminator game designers are also the designers for the well-received Buffy the Vampire Slayer game, so have a track record. Of course, if you're not a Terminator fan, that just means you should buy the Buffy game.

You can, of course, wait for retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of you who looked at the P'n'P and dropped or chose not to back this:

Have you been back to take another look at where things stand now?

The game has shown marked improvement in graphics, gameplay, rules and components.
SGP/Lynnvander has been and is hard at work on this one and it shows.

A second look is all anyone can ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Chou
Taiwan
flag msg tools
I think things still look bad. There isn't enough explanation regarding the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Misztal
Poland
flag msg tools
There is a new gameplay video. Looks much better than PnP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally agree, the new beta gameplay video shows off board and card play and gives much better idea of game mechanics and rules. Some additions to rules demoed as well like programming cards in the past for the future. Each player sets aside card(s) for use on 2029 board before playing on 1984 board. Great mechanic here as to play on one board you may be giving up a card that could help on the other.

Last hours of KS going on now, under 48 hours.

Hopefully people give this campaign another fair look and decide to not pass up an oppurtunity for a great game.

If you have given it another fair look, then I thank you, that us all I can ask of people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McGonigle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The idea that the PnP was a prototype is a misconception.
Anyone who's watched the last beta demo will also know there is definitely a game here. Time will tell, but I'm guessing a very good one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew mclaughlin
United States
Kingston
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
What I question about this game is...why is it being Kickstarted with only partially or half-developed rules? Shouldn't a good rules set come before miniatures and other production materials? It costs nothing to write a set of rules. I didn't back Terminator for that reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.