Seckin
Turkey
Besiktas
İstanbul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I have played my first game last night and we had "2 VPs for each landscape tile in your largest completed water area." as one of the scoring tiles (Scoring tile A in the picture below).

We had two questions come up regarding this particular tile and wanted to check if we played them right.

1) To score 2VPs should tiles have only water and landscape? ie. if there was a mountain/cattle/sheep/lighthouse/road, would that tile not count? We assumed so judging from the picture.

2) The rules say "largest completed water area", one of the players had two completed water areas and although his smaller water area was surrounded by water and landscape only tiles, the larger one had none of those (they had a mountain, road or sth else), so we decided he couldn't score that tile.

How did you play this tile if that came up in your games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Kushner
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Flesh Tetris
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seckind wrote:
Hi,

I have played my first game last night and we had "2 VPs for each landscape tile in your largest completed water area." as one of the scoring tiles (Scoring tile A in the picture below).

We had two questions come up regarding this particular tile and wanted to check if we played them right.

1) To score 2VPs should tiles have only water and landscape? ie. if there was a mountain/cattle/sheep/lighthouse/road, would that tile not count? We assumed so judging from the picture.

2) The rules say "largest completed water area", one of the players had two completed water areas and although his smaller water area was surrounded by water and landscape only tiles, the larger one had none of those (they had a mountain, road or sth else), so we decided he couldn't score that tile.

A completed water area is complete regardless of whether there's an animal hanging around the lake or anything else.

Most tiles have extra bits like barrels and/or animals on them. Don't let that be a factor in determining whether a feature is "completed," or you're going to drive yourself crazy. Just look at whether the border of the lake is defined all the way around by anything. And yes, mountains can still constitute part or all of the border of a lake. For more confirmation of that, take a look at another scoring tile in the same photo, where some of the completed mountains are defined by a border that contains water AND grass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
Pugs are like little people in fur coats.
badge
If it's not a Pug, it's just a dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure from Nathan's answer he understood your question or maybe I don't understand it. Either way, here's my reply

seckind wrote:
Hi,

Look at the picture on the scoring tile while you're reading this.

You find the largest completed water area you have in your play area. You count how many tiles are part of that water area. Score 2 points for each tile. That's it.

See all the 2's in the picture on the tile? That is marking the 2 pts you score because that water area on the scoring tile is made up of 4 tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an extra note: in this case "largest" means "including water on the largest number of tiles."

If you have two completed water areas, one on 4 tiles and one on 3, you score points for the first - even if the other somehow looks bigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seckin
Turkey
Besiktas
İstanbul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers, looks like we just made it complicated on ourselves by overinterpreting the sentence
and I will have to break this news to that friend who finished last because he missed the chance to score that tile twice gulpwhistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.