Subject: Game Changer Ideas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guy McCann
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Unfortunately, I haven't gotten a chance to really get as many plays in as I would have liked, but I have already started thinking of come Game Changer concepts I'm considering trying out.

1.) "City of Chaos" - During setup, take one of the Funfair City cards aside and shuffle the remaining Funfair/Unfair City cards together. Place the Planning Office Closed card in its usual place 4 cards from the final round. Place the Funfair City card that was set aside on top of the City Event stack. For some added excitement, sleeve the City Event cards into opaque sleeves!

2.) "Franchise Wars" - [Requires 4 or 6 players] Players separate into teams and are seated opposite each other. Money is shared among the Teammates, so any purchases are paid for from this pool (and should probably be talked over). Teammates may play Park Cards in any Park belonging to their team. Event Cards may be played on Teammates if desired. Blueprint Cards may NOT be traded among the Teammates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Feeser
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Your idea for a team variant is definitely solid but I'm not so sure about your "City of Chaos" idea. I mean you are definitely smart for making sure that the first card is a funfair card but that doesn't mean the very next card can't then be an unfair card that may potentially undo everything you just did in the first round. I suppose if you REALLY want an extra mean game that would certainly do it for you.

Again your team variant idea is solid although I'm not exactly sure if Unfair supports 6 players. I suppose technically it can since there is 6 theme packs available in the base game but the rules only really ever mention adding a 5th player. The only reason I could think of why 6 players may not work is because certain blueprint cards may require certain upgrades (like a theme upgrade) that are limited in number and thus could be hard to get when you've got 5 other players who can potentially deny you what you want. Of course if you are doing a team variant (2 teams of 3 or 3 teams of 2) then you can rely on your teammate to help you get some of those more limited upgrades since you can essentially share park cards.

I think with a little playtesting to make sure nothing is majorly broken by doing the team variant that this variant could very easily be implemented into the first expansion for sure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there was discussion during the KS campaign about shuffling up the Funfair & Unfair city cards. What ends up happening is that without a solid 2 to 3 rounds (at least) to get your economy going before you start getting hit with unfair cards, it becomes very difficult to get anything built. The first few Funfair rounds give you time not only to get some building done, but to build up some defenses (either staff or time to gather Event cards).

You can try it, but I (and others who had this discussion previous) don't think your game will be as satisfying since the risk of getting smacked down early is too great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy McCann
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
As to the Team game, I added the 6 player on the off chance people would actually try it with 6.

For the first one, I did intend it to be potentially challenging. In retrospect, I can imagine it could really frustrate players that aren't more familiar with the game and should only be done with experienced players. It could probably do with some more thought power put into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My hat? Definitely not a mind-control alien, no.
mbmbmbmbmb
We've tried a team variant with 4 players, teams of 2, where the main gate is shared and each player builds their own section of park to the left and right of it. Capacity and income is still separate for each park section, but blueprints can be completed across the combined park. (This makes some much easier, and some much harder!)

Defenses can also be shared - that is, your teammate can block attacks which affect your park, and has incentive to re-open attractions for you, etc.

Note that this hasn't had anything like enough testing for me to recommend it or make it official, I'm mentioning only that we've done it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Wrigley
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Team play would be awesome if you can figure it out Joel!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate Finch
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I recall, the team trial we did was good fun, but we only did it the once. The four of us agreed that it had merit, but we didn't get any further with it. I'm 95% certain that there will be an official teams variant at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My hat? Definitely not a mind-control alien, no.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen a number of requests for a solo mode - rest assured it is on the list to work up an official version.

It sounds like a 4-player team mode might be well received also.

We're also trialing a mode to suit people who don't like destruction of their park buildings, but otherwise don't mind messing with their competitors.

The existing Game Changers let you start with blueprints as goals, and/or start with a super attraction built - are there any other considerations of that type you'd like us to investigate?

It's worth noting that Game Changers can be used in combination if you wish (though there's not much value is combining with School Vacation since it takes out all the cards the others adjust).

And I'm interested - has anyone played the School Vacation mode yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.