Andreas Becker
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a situation in our first full game last night, where I as the government was going first, and syndicate second, on the card right before the propaganda card. I had sufficient moves to get all three cities to active support and to have my win condition set, but the syndicate had cash on hand. Even with a limited op, it was able to drop a guerilla into a city and drop the support down with the free limited op. Is that right? Just want to make sure that we did it correctly.

It was a wonderful moment, by the way. I was openly analyzing the situation with my group and we realized that victory was SO close but that I couldn't do anything to stop the syndicate player from doing that one-two punch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
FightOnGoBlue wrote:
We had a situation in our first full game last night, where I as the government was going first, and syndicate second, on the card right before the propaganda card. I had sufficient moves to get all three cities to active support and to have my win condition set, but the syndicate had cash on hand. Even with a limited op, it was able to drop a guerilla into a city and drop the support down with the free limited op. Is that right? Just want to make sure that we did it correctly.

It was a wonderful moment, by the way. I was openly analyzing the situation with my group and we realized that victory was SO close but that I couldn't do anything to stop the syndicate player from doing that one-two punch.

If I understand all of the details correctly, yes this is correct.
Syndicate can rally a guerilla to any city. Then the Syndicate removes a cash marker that it controls (Launder rule 2.3.6) which allows it to execute a free Lim Op. of any type (except construct). Then they could either Attack or use Terror to tear the victory out of your hands at the last possible moment. :-)

They would just need to make you lose control of the city/province, via attack, (less likely), or alter support via terror. The support would have to drop below your threshold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Becker
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anaturalharmonic wrote:
FightOnGoBlue wrote:

If I understand all of the details correctly, yes this is correct.
Syndicate can rally a guerilla to any city. Then the Syndicate removes a cash marker that it controls (Launder rule 2.3.6) which allows it to execute a free Lim Op. of any type (except construct). Then they could either Attack or use Terror to tear the victory out of your hands at the last possible moment. :-)

They would just need to make you lose control of the city/province, via attack, (less likely), or alter support via terror. The support would have to drop below your threshold.

That's exactly what happened! The situation was: Havana and Camaguey (city) were both at active support; Santiago de Cuba was at neutral. I (Govt) had 11 resources, one thing of cash, and each action cost me 3 resources. The syndicate had cash as well. The card showing had me going, then the syndicate (we were the only two available players). The card text gave me the option to raise any city to active support.

So I was presented with the option of using my 11 resources as a regular operation to raise Santiago de Cuba to active support, then using my free limited op to try and push the sole syndicate guerilla out of Camguey city. Or, alternatively, I use the event to do the same thing, minus the free limited op after. I was SO close.

Sadly, under either circumstance, I couldn't prevent the syndicate from dropping my support in any of the cities to passive

So close!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego (Scripps Ranch)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We prefer to apply the "Winter Quarters" rule used in COIN series game Liberty of Death where when the "Winter Quarters" card appears the action stops instantly triggering that phase. In the same manner if the Propaganda Card in Cuba Libre appears no actions occur until propaganda phase is over. It most definitely adds to the tension of the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think I would prefer this. I have played both games but never applied the LoD rule to Cuba Libre. I might consider trying that the next time we play... alas it might be a while before I get it to the table again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Becker
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bob.Gibson wrote:
We prefer to apply the "Winter Quarters" rule used in COIN series game Liberty of Death where when the "Winter Quarters" card appears the action stops instantly triggering that phase. In the same manner if the Propaganda Card in Cuba Libre appears no actions occur until propaganda phase is over. It most definitely adds to the tension of the game!

Is this the same as the variant suggested in the CL rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Togan Alper
Turkey
İstanbul
Beykoz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes this is mentioned in the rules as an alternative

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We also play with the "Winter Quarters" rule. It works pretty well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General to Rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.