Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Katharina Schrempf
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,

I'm wondering, if there are any games out there, where players profit from the actions of other players, or build upon the actions of players before them. I remember vagely a game like that, where the action of a player completed the action of the player before them and they benefited both from it, but I can't seem to find it again. Any hints?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Via Nebula

THE reason to like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the top 200 that I know of:

Puerto Rico
Through the Ages
Terraforming Mars
Power Grid
Le Havre
Food Chain Magnate
Dominant Species
El Grande
Tigris & Euphrates
Imperial
Carcassonne
Die Macher
Samurai
Small World
Mission: Red Planet
Acquire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Piquet
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Terra Mystica you can gain power if an opponent builds on an adjacent hexagon.
In The Gallerist when a player chooses one of the 4 action spaces, he can bump your pawn or one of your meeples which gives you an action.

All the games with some kind of action selection: player A chooses an action and then all players can take this action. Puerto Rico and Race for the Galaxy for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders has this, when using a neighbor's resource.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Østland
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds to me like you might be thinking of CO₂
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
This applies to many games.

For example, in the 18xx games, one player can upgrade a city to be worth more, and another player can benefit from the upgraded value of that city.

In Primordial Soup, one player can attack an amoeba belonging to another player, and multiple players (including the one attacked) may have an opportunity to feed on the resulting detritus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Collins
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
CF Vapors - Alternative to Smoking
mbmbmbmbmb
Merkator by Uwe Rosenberg (an often overlooked Gem in my opinion)

Rahdo does a run-through for this game and may others on Jim's list above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Piquet
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just realised that Bohnanza is one of the best example as you can give a card a player want to get a better hand while giving him a better set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
Cacao - player completes the action by placing an additional tile which another player may benefit from
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
What's it going to be then, eh?
mbmbmbmbmb

There is a reason Acquire has been incessantly in print since 1964. Abstract but great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
Puerto Rico
Acquire
Imperial

+1 to those and Via Nebula. I'll add . . .

San Juan -- the card game version of Puerto Rico

TransAmerica

Age of Steam; Empire Builder (and sister crayon rails); and any other RR game wherein players are paid when opponents use their RR lines to deliver things.

Big City; Metropolis; Between Two Cities; Square Mile and similar real estate development games.

In Dream Factory and Moderne Zeiten, the tokens bid by the winning bidder are divided evenly among all the other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
In the top 200 that I know of:

Puerto Rico
Through the Ages
Terraforming Mars
Power Grid
Le Havre
Food Chain Magnate
Dominant Species
El Grande
Tigris & Euphrates
Imperial
Carcassonne
Die Macher
Samurai
Small World
Mission: Red Planet
Acquire

Scythe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia Milne
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some Ameritrash enthusiasts do not see benefiting from other players moves as interaction. Nothing short of splitting the skull of an opponent with a dwarven blood axe counts laugh

Now you can guess where the taunts come from that many Euros play as multiplayer solitaire or spreadsheet point salads meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katharina Schrempf
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions. I didn't know that there are so many games out there where you profit from other player's actions one way or the other.
I really like those sort of interactions.

I'm thinking of a worker placement game where players can use the same action spot one player before them already used. Most times those actions allow you to select something from a diminshing pool of cards/tokens. The first player on the action spot gets first pick, but players after them benefit from the actions of the players before them in terms of additional coins or something else.
That's an idea that I had for my own game, but I'm sure something like this is already done by other boardgames. Anyone knows a game that uses a mechanism like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
Candacis wrote:
I'm thinking of a worker placement game where players can use the same action spot one player before them already used.

Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia. You displace the worker already there and that player gets their worker back. Nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Lumiukko
Finland
flag msg tools
How about a cake break!
badge
How about a cake break!
mbmbmbmbmb
Xahendir wrote:
In Terra Mystica you can gain power if an opponent builds on an adjacent hexagon.
In The Gallerist when a player chooses one of the 4 action spaces, he can bump your pawn or one of your meeples which gives you an action.

All the games with some kind of action selection: player A chooses an action and then all players can take this action. Puerto Rico and Race for the Galaxy for example.

+1

Also in Tiny Epic Galaxies when a player takes an action, all players have the possibility to pay 1 energy to do the same action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Parmenter
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite what you're thinking, but it's worker-placement: Lords of Waterdeep

When the game starts, there's various 'basic' places to put your workers, but one of those is 'buy building'. Buildings are basicly places to put your worker that are 'better' than the basic places, but give a bonus to the building's owner.

So say you want to recruit fighters. The 'basic' space for this gives you two. But I've build a building that'll let you recruit two -and- a wizard; the downside for you is that I get to pick either a fighter or wizard to recruit for myself if you use it.

There are also cards that basically say "Do X twice, then pick another player to do X".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Vallerand
Canada
St-Basile-Le-Grand
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brass: Lancashire is my go to examples for this: when you use coal, you need to take them from the nearest mine, whosever it is, and when a mine is empty, it flips and gives its owner income and points. Positionning your mines so they are emptied by your opponents is a big part of why I love the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Townsend
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Catan and Machi Koro you benefit from other players die rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Candacis wrote:
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions. I didn't know that there are so many games out there where you profit from other player's actions one way or the other.

I'm thinking of a worker placement game where players can use the same action spot one player before them already used. Most times those actions allow you to select something from a diminshing pool of cards/tokens. The first player on the action spot gets first pick, but players after them benefit from the actions of the players before them in terms of additional coins or something else.
That's an idea that I had for my own game, but I'm sure something like this is already done by other boardgames. Anyone knows a game that uses a mechanism like that?

It is only a small portion of the game, but it reminds me of Galaxy Trucker, especially with five players. There are certain cards where the players get to pick a reward in order based on the current rankings. There are four rewards on each card, and the rule when playing with five players is that one reward can be chosen twice, but the second player gets the amount reduced by one. Since rewards can be a variety of resources, sometimes it's better to take less of a resource you really need instead of taking what you can't use. However, there is no compensation for doing so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Knoblaugh
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Glass Road?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Candacis wrote:

Tzolkin has that if I place on a wheel it makes you cost more, but you get further round the wheel, which is generally better.

(Tzolkin is worker placement with a twist. A literal twist. You take the action when you remove, not place, and the longer you wait the better -generally, it's a bit more complicated than that - it is. Starting further speeds that up.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.