So my gaming group is new to Euro/worker placement kind of games. I want them to enjoy themselves so i was wondering if there is a good overall strategy to this game that I can give them so they can get their engines going within the game. Once the board is set up it is very overwhelming the amount of things you have available to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always tell new players to look at their hand for any cards that work well together. For example, the Huntsman and Marauder both target Outposts. But then also tell them to look at what plunder is available in those areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just have fun! Learning is part of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Just have fun! Learning is part of it.

I agree, if you build it they will come. My girlfriend and I played it several times and we just let the strategy unfold as we see fit. Just let them play the game and they will eventually craft a strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pete truss
England
Bridgwater
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Build a crew, go raiding! Always look for opportunities to increase your strength

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
MedellĂ­n
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, in this game the "good" strategy may vary depending on the resource distribution and the offerings... if the 3 current offerings ask for iron and there's not much available (or it's all in the fortresses), then the offerings strategy won't work for a while, even at all if nobody bothers to get the offerings queue moving. If almost all the valkyrires are on the lower part of the board it can potentially be a very short game and the scoring opportunities will be fewer than a longer game with valkyries all over the top.

Regardless, you always have to raid to get some stuff (it's in the title) and it will probably determine what you can do next, so I always tell my new players to focus on doing a couple of easy raids first (harbors) building a basic crew and avoiding many deaths early in the game, and that along the stuff they get will probably point them in the right direction later (iron to increase armor, or cattle and gold for offerings, save some for rading, improve yur crew, etc).

After (or during) their first game they will begin to see other possible alternatives, like going for the more juicy raids even before the harbors are all gone, and the long-term value of a few well-timed deaths, but that's a lot to explain to first-time players.

Don't let your newbie players get worried about "strategies" that only overcomplicate the task of learning a game. Even for experienced players the first game (or three) should be only about learning the basics and how some mechanics connect to other stuff. You cannot really learn about strategy at that point if you haven't seen the consequences of your early actions. Sure, you can copy and even sucessfully replicate other people's winning strategies on a totally new game if you only care about that, but you won't understand or see the logic behind it if you don't know the basics first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In hindsight I don't think I was looking for strategies for my group as I am general rules of thumb when it comes to getting them started in the game. The board can be pretty overwhelming when it's first set up, especially with those with AP. Thanks for the tips/feedback

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Rieberghs
Belgium
Turnhout
-- Maak uw keuze --
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Raid !!!!! Build a nice crew and raid the hell out of them devil
Conquer the world !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Our group got a chance to play this and I relayed all the info from here and everyone had a great time. There was some initial feelings of overwhelming with the options on the board but once I explained some ideas of how they could start everyone sort of found their own way. Thanks again for the tips
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mircea Pauca
Romania
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another Viking theme is not only to plunder, but HURRY to plunder!

As a new player I played once with 3 others with some-to-more experience with this one. I went my usual patient Euro way to prepare well first, hire a guy with economic power (+1 card draw), use him a few times, get silvers...
Then I noticed the steep direct requirements of plunder (supplies, crew size) and until I got them too (at the 1 supply per black meeple early Mill), the intended plunder spaces were already taken by others, or poisoned by 2 Valkyries... I got one harbor raid with one Valkyrie only, but then needing to increase crew back and more, add more supplies... the others got first to monasteries, outposts and ultimately fortresses too.

It would have been good to know of less roundabout ways to prepare - there is a guy/card that adds supplies directly etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.