Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working my way through this game (and system) solo. Started with the historical set-up and had a most disappointing first combat phase with the Syrians. I tried to weight the main effort along the roads pointing to Nafekh, but made precious little progress. The negative modifiers just pile up: -1 for Crossing, -1 (or more) for terrain, -1 for troop quality (against elites), -1 for attacking tank strongpoint...

The only thing that actually inflicted damage was my artillery and air support (used as artillery).

I'm finding the combat rules just a bit confusing, but I'm pushing through. Hard to keep track of all those modifiers.

I'm hoping the next turn will be better now that the crossings are no longer an issue. I was able to get my combat engineers to throw up bridges across the AT ditch, but that's about it.

Similar experiences from any of you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin McCleary
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mine is still just sitting on the shelf unplayed. Will be interested to hear your thoughts as you progress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My initial impression is pretty favorable. Love the map and components. Love the subject. My only criticism so far is that the combat rules are confusing, but it might just be that I am old!

BTW--there is fairly extensive errata, so be sure to download the file you will find here. In particular, there are a lot of mistakes in the set-up rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if you concentrate on too narrow a front, you may get yourself into trouble. At least some of those Israeli blocks are dummies, so by attacking on a broader front, you increase the likelihood of punching through somewhere. That's my limited experience, anyway.

As for the modifiers, they'll become natural very quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the setup makes you attack along nearly the whole front, and I cleared two of the ghosts so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The negative modifiers just pile up: -1 for Crossing, -1 (or more) for terrain, -1 for troop quality (against elites), -1 for attacking tank strongpoint...

That's the nature of attacking a fortified area in this system. The negative modifiers mount up fast. Once you break through, you'll find it much easier. Look for clear terrain where you can make more progress; try to cut off tough units in good terrain rather than assaulting them; etc. And remember that you can always abort an attack, taking only one hit and a disorder marker, rather than absorbing all the defender's hits. (This doesn't work well on river - or anti-tank-ditch - assaults, though, as you'll get kicked back to your area of origin.)

This particular game is different from the previous two in the series because although the attacking side (Syrians) are more numerous, they're also of lower quality and less mechanized than the defenders.

The combat modifiers will quickly become second nature to you. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.