Credit for most of the general ideas go to
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
and this post:
For office supply products - binder dividers, binder, accordion folder, either Staples or Office Depot could be your source. I sourced my supplies at Office Depot.
For the storage supplies and containers - Walmart, JoAnn's and Michael's are almost interchangeable. JoAnn's has a better selection but the photo case that I am storing the non-basic character player mats I did find at Michael's. However, JoAnn's carries it but was out of stock locally. I did source the small disposable containers at Walmart as JoAnn's and Michael's doesn't carry Ziploc food containers.
Following the basic approach that Annowme took, I went down a similar path in a few areas:
1. Map tiles were stored in an accordion file (Source - Office Depot ($13).
2. A majority of the cards were moved to a 3" Binder (Annowme used a 2" Binder) and stored in various types of binder dividers. Other that the 16 card Star Wars Dividers all the dividers were sourced at Office Depot) (see pictures below).
3. All the Monster tokens are stored in a plastic bin.
Variations from Annowme:
1. I couldn't tell what was done with the character miniatures or if Annowme has the standee version. I pulled all of the miniatures out of their boxes and moved them to a separate storage bin. See spoiler picture listed below. Those storage bins was sourced at JoAnn's, though Walmart did carry them.
2. All the character boxes were opened and the cards were placed in the 3" binder in a sheet divider. Unlike Annowme Storage solution, I didn't put all the monster cards in a separate CD case. All the non-starter character player mats were placed in a photo storage case.See the spoiler picture listed below.
3. All terrain overlay tokens were stored in in a plastic bin. This bin was sourced at Walmart and has larger compartments and rounded bottoms.
So the rough cost for all of the items is as follows:
3" Binder - $12
Accordion File - $12 (on sale)
2 - Plastic Bins $7 (on sale)
4 - Ziploc containers (box of 8 for $2) - $1
1 - 4x6 photo case - $1
1 - Plastic Bin for Terrain Overlay - $2
Binder Dividers - have 5 different types. 4 of the types cost $5 per pack and I mostly have leftover divider sheets. the 16-card Star Wars were bought as single sheets at $.20 a sheet. So overall I would give it a gross cost estimate of $25.
Total Cost ~$60. However, I probably have about 1/2 the binder dividers available for other projects if need be.
Now you say, well you could wait and buy the Meeple Realty insert for less than that. True - but I don't have to wait it or assemble it. After using 5 different MR inserts for different games, I have a high degree in confidence that the set up and tear down time will be shorter that having a MR insert. Besides, this was a fun little project and since I had to go through the same effort to build out a custom insert for my new Anachrony Leader Edition, I was able to kill two birds with one stone in sourcing the storage components.
Spoiler (click to reveal)