Andrzej Kaczor
Poland
Chorzów
INTL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

We played today with doomsday module (and Guardians of the Council).

Me and my Wife were playing second time, my friends were playing 1st time.

At the beginning we all thought that this addon, with extra board and experiments is great. My friends were also delighted by the base game itself

But during play one thing came to our minds - we could physically finish the game before round 5 :/ We played with 2nd level experiments. (should we move seal fate and save earth by fulfilling 2nd lvl experiments?)

Some of the experiments are quite easy to accomplish so it was not hard to our fried to achieve them (blue path, sorry I forgot the name This path was getting most points from the doomsday track)

We felt like the track was maybe too shot, only 5 steps to finish the game (one more thing - should we play entire round if token is at maximum position ? Saving Earth) can be achieved very quickly.

Maybe that was the intention but I am not sure.

Did somebody had similar thoughts? Or we missed some rules ?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Some Thoughts about Doomsday Module :) And some questions about it.
I haven't tried the Doomsday module yet. I think I'll be playing a fair number of games with the base game only before thinking about adding the modules.

But, as far as I understand, the whole point of the Doomsday module is to make the game shorter and more intense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Kaczor
Poland
Chorzów
INTL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpecularRain wrote:
I haven't tried the Doomsday module yet. I think I'll be playing a fair number of games with the base game only before thinking about adding the modules.

But, as far as I understand, the whole point of the Doomsday module is to make the game shorter and more intense.

Adrian - I wanted to play with this expansion (next time we will play with adventures) as I was feeling that it would be awesome to add another layer to this game

As for the doomsday - you are most probably right but I wanted to confirm this fact with anyone else
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AkitaInu wrote:
Hello,

We played today with doomsday module (and Guardians of the Council).

Me and my Wife were playing second time, my friends were playing 1st time.

At the beginning we all thought that this addon, with extra board and experiments is great. My friends were also delighted by the base game itself

But during play one thing came to our minds - we could physically finish the game before round 5 :/ We played with 2nd level experiments. (should we move seal fate and save earth by fulfilling 2nd lvl experiments?)

Some of the experiments are quite easy to accomplish so it was not hard to our fried to achieve them (blue path, sorry I forgot the name This path was getting most points from the doomsday track)

We felt like the track was maybe too shot, only 5 steps to finish the game (one more thing - should we play entire round if token is at maximum position ? Saving Earth) can be achieved very quickly.

Maybe that was the intention but I am not sure.

Did somebody had similar thoughts? Or we missed some rules ?

Thanks

Hmm not sure what caused that you all to do so many. You only check for saving earth or immediate impact at the end of a round. Level 2 experiments count, but do not replenish until end of the round. So at most is 3 completed experiments be the end of the 2nd round. 6 by the 3rd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Kaczor
Poland
Chorzów
INTL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:

Hmm not sure what caused that you all to do so many. You only check for saving earth or immediate impact at the end of a round. Level 2 experiments count, but do not replenish until end of the round. So at most is 3 completed experiments be the end of the 2nd round. 6 by the 3rd.

Hmm where did you found that they are replenished at the end of the round?

In the rules I can see:

Whenever a player claims an Experiment card,
immediately replace it with the top Level 2 Experiment
from the stack, until the Experiment stack runs out

Not end of the round

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Péter
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AkitaInu wrote:

In the rules I can see:

Not end of the round

This is an optional rule for the Doomsday module that can indeed speed up the game potentially. According to the base rules, however, you remove any completed experiments from below the timeline, and only replenish them during the Preparation phase of the subsequent era (Page 21, Preparation phase on the top left).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Kaczor
Poland
Chorzów
INTL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
petervik wrote:
AkitaInu wrote:

In the rules I can see:

Not end of the round

This is an optional rule for the Doomsday module that can indeed speed up the game potentially. According to the base rules, however, you remove any completed experiments from below the timeline, and only replenish them during the Preparation phase of the subsequent era (Page 21, Preparation phase on the top left).

I spoke with my friends after play - even when new cards would go below the timeline only during refresh phase it is still very quick.

- if you make an experiment in first phase then in second phase you have two, you can make them but it depends on luck, how tough those experiments will be

- in second era, you can make another two which gives us three

- in third era, you can finish the game

I am not sure whether it's a must for opposite paths to make experimenst but it looks like it is.

If you would like to be sure that game would not end after 3rd or 4th era you need to counter the experiments - but is it good? I think this depends on personal approach

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AkitaInu wrote:
petervik wrote:
AkitaInu wrote:

In the rules I can see:

Not end of the round

I spoke with my friends after play - even when new cards would go below the timeline only during refresh phase it is still very quick.

- if you make an experiment in first phase then in second phase you have two, you can make them but it depends on luck, how tough those experiments will be

- in second era, you can make another two which gives us three

- in third era, you can finish the game

I am not sure whether it's a must for opposite paths to make experimenst but it looks like it is.

If you would like to be sure that game would not end after 3rd or 4th era you need to counter the experiments - but is it good? I think this depends on personal approach

Yes, if 5 out of 6 experiments go towards Save Earth, the game can indeed end on Era 3, without an impact. this is entirely by design. Yet, I assume you see this is not an extremely common thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Kaczor
Poland
Chorzów
INTL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks David

I just wanted to confirm this, well maybe our mistake was that only one path was performing experiments

One of the good things is that first, second and third point values at the end were: 37, 36 and 35 Mostly because earth was saved so there was no evacuation

I believe that If all paths would make an experiments we wouldn't have such feeling, that game is ending too quick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AkitaInu wrote:
Thanks David

I just wanted to confirm this, well maybe our mistake was that only one path was performing experiments

One of the good things is that first, second and third point values at the end were: 37, 36 and 35 Mostly because earth was saved so there was no evacuation

I believe that If all paths would make an experiments we wouldn't have such feeling, that game is ending too quick

Did the player who was doing a lot of experiments win?

If not, they obviously made a mistake pushing so hard on experiments, and should have done other things as well, to get more points.

If they did win, then the players not doing experiments can't just let that happen next time. They have to push back, and perform some experiments for themselves as well.

Either way, the game will probably not finish quite so fast next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Tuzzi
Italy
Milan
Lombardy
flag msg tools
mbmb
SpecularRain wrote:
AkitaInu wrote:
Thanks David

Did the player who was doing a lot of experiments win?

If not, they obviously made a mistake pushing so hard on experiments, and should have done other things as well, to get more points.

If they did win, then the players not doing experiments can't just let that happen next time. They have to push back, and perform some experiments for themselves as well.

Either way, the game will probably not finish quite so fast next time.

Adrian is right: the point with the Doomsday module is that the factions struggle to make the impact happen as soon as possible (Progress and Salvation) or to prevent it as much as they can (Harmony and Domination).
If just one faction (or both factions with the same goal) experiment, it's intended behavior that the game would end in few Eras.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.