3 Posts

Blood Rage» Forums » General

Subject: Blood Rage Strategy Questions: Gods, Cards, and Moves rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dylan Cuellar
msg tools
Hello all,
I'm a relatively new gamer and have played about 5 games of Blood Rage now. Currently, I'm really trying to think of strategies and ways to approach the game and I'd love to hear other peoples ideas too. Mainly my strategy of attack and query's stem from three things:

1. It seems like there are five gods fit into these cards (Thor, Odin, Loki, Frigga, and Tyr) and each has their own strategy. Thor and Odin are glory and battling and winning, Loki seems like tricking and dying for glory, Frigga seems like upgrades and monster actions, and Tyr seems like a very open and flexible strategy that relies on quick decisions as well as long term planning to win with. Is this what you have noticed? What's your take on the strategies? Which is the best?

2. Moving on, what are the best cards to get with each strategy? Which to avoid? I know many of them are labeled with a gods name, so that helps to batch cards together, but sometimes grabbing another gods card can work well too. It seems like Thor and Odin should grab a STR region quest cards and lots of high battle cards, Loki should grab Loki upgrades and low battle cards that let one steal from another, Frigga should grab lots of upgrade and monster cards, and Tyr should stack up quest cards with some high battle and upgrade cards balanced out and build up an army from there. Any thoughts there?

3. Any ideas on what are good opening moves and late game tactics with each strategy? Here I have very little insight so any ideas are really welcome.

I hope I can hear some responses, I'd love to hear what you guys think.
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack
Poland
Warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
What a lovely day!
badge
Santa Paws
mbmbmbmbmb
1. You are basically right, each god has cards that synergize with each other and sticking to one/two gods seems like pretty stable strategy.

Frigga is more than just "upgrades and monsters" - I think that she is mostly focused on producing as much units as possible (can invade with another warrior for free, preventing units from dying, invading from Valhalla etc). With Frigga you can either try to produce many units relatively cheap and stay alive on the board (combo with STR quests and battle gods) or produce and die a lot (combo with Valhalla quests and Loki/Odin)

I'm not sure about Tyr - his upgrades allowing to use quests as +3/+5 battle cards are pretty weak and very situational (it seems like a good counterplay if you suspect someone is going to draft a lot of quest cards). Upgrade that allows your to "repillage" already pillaged province is pretty good but also very situational (useful when you already dominate in Yggdrasil).

2. So far I found that there are basically two strategies "win battles" (you gain VP from either Axes or STR quests) or "lose battles" (you gain VP from either Loki's upgrades, Ship upgrades, Ragnarok or Valhalla quests). Both of them requires you to gain Rage early.

3. Depends on which cards you drafted and what is the board set-up. Most of the time invading and pillaging Rage tokens is good opening move. It's also good to pillage Horns early (while other players battle over Rage) and spawn more units on board than enemies - so that you have better chances on first Yggdrasill pillage and good start on 2nd age.

During the drafting phase you need to make up your mind what your strategy is going to be. If you start by picking high battle cards it's probably good to also draft some STR quests and end up with good amount of units on board at the end of age. Good thing about this game is that in the 2nd and 3rd age you start rather "fresh" (only 1 card on hand) so you can modify your strategy on-the-go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Clark
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so the beginning of a game is a really important fase. Instead of picking good cards, focus on their Rage cost. This is frequently overlooked. Cards like Dwarf Chieftain, Soldier of Hel or Dark Elf are awesome starting monsters because they are cheap.

Fridge's Chosen is important coz it lets you upgrade better.

Loki's Trickery is a very powerful card to draft in the beginning as it will let you drain Rage giving you a great edge over your opponents early game.

Then another thing to not overlook is actually boost your clan stats. Many players are busy with a lot other than making your clan better. The Glory pay off in the end is one of the best ways to beat your opponents.

Within each draft, make sure to pick one quest at least. The glory is fine, but the clan stat boost is especially important. Don't go to crazy on the quests. Just pick one or two if they support each other. Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.