1 , 2  Next »   | 

HEXplore It: The Valley of the Dead King» Forums » General

Subject: You want us to DRAW on the componants? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Day Life
msg tools

This is a little WTF to me....

OK.. I get it.. you have some material that you feel is able to have white board marker ink on it that can be rubbed off... in theory a good idea.

Q: Can you use ANY pen? What happens when those special pens you give us dry up or run out, or my kid doesn't put the cap on or something and it goes all hard? What can we use to replace the pen and the rubber?

Q: What about "smudging" and other discolouration. Anyone that has used a white board a lot will know that you can not rub it all off. As the ink dries in the pen it gets thicker and you start to get black smudging. Anyone who uses a white board or owns that Telestrations game can attest to this. The difference is surface area. Smudging isnt as bad when it is spread over large areas and you have all this area to write on.. but that small space and the small token for numbers? I fear this will be a massive black blob pretty quickly.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
The designer mentioned that for a stretch goal they may have another idea. I was trying to think what other way they could do it. Like a sheet with dials or something along those lines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Mariucci

Wisconsin
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
The Role Mats are laminated with a material meant for dry erase. This game is a hero-building game, and it requires you to make changes to your character. We didn't want to offer sheets of paper as they are less professional than an actual board.

So I can give you a little information on the components that we've tested.

You can use any dry erase marker on these boards. If your pens run out of ink (which I have no control over), you can always pick up more in any office supply store for about $4. The game ships with 7 markers, and they also have erasers, a component that is a handy upgrade for the game.

We have over 600 play test hours in on these, and when our boards get dirty, we wipe them off with a Magic Eraser by Mr. Clean. It takes all the residue off w/o issue. The bigger problem is with the eraser itself which does tend to accumulate the ink. We play quite a few games, and as testers, have had to replace the pens on occasion. Again, you can easily pick up more markers when this happens. Hopefully this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
deekerston schweddy
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Maybe a token system would work much better (in different colors to designate the different stats). Of course this would mean puchboard tokens must be produced which costs money. Please make something like this an attainable stretch goal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I personally don't mind the dry erase pen idea, found these so when they run out you can easily purchase more https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gosear%C2%AE10-Rewritable-White-Mar...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
this feels like a deal breaker for me...

I wait for reviews and threads form people a year in and think about this as a retail purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
deekerston schweddy
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Problem is many of these independently created games don't ever make it to retail and if they do are very limited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
deekerston wrote:
Problem is many of these independently created games don't ever make it to retail and if they do are very limited.

So? There is like 2000 games coming out a year. This game dose look good, but if I do not like the look of something I am not going to just fork out money as it is my "only chance". The market is a buyers paradise right now, and I cna think of 3 other kickers starting right now all after the same "game funds allotment" my wife give me... hard but true.. if money was not a factor.. then I would jump on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
mariuccij wrote:
The Role Mats are laminated with a material meant for dry erase. This game is a hero-building game, and it requires you to make changes to your character. We didn't want to offer sheets of paper as they are less professional than an actual board.

So I can give you a little information on the components that we've tested.

You can use any dry erase marker on these boards. If your pens run out of ink (which I have no control over), you can always pick up more in any office supply store for about $4. The game ships with 7 markers, and they also have erasers, a component that is a handy upgrade for the game.

We have over 600 play test hours in on these, and when our boards get dirty, we wipe them off with a Magic Eraser by Mr. Clean. It takes all the residue off w/o issue. The bigger problem is with the eraser itself which does tend to accumulate the ink. We play quite a few games, and as testers, have had to replace the pens on occasion. Again, you can easily pick up more markers when this happens. Hopefully this helps.

Don't those erasers have tiny shards of glass so they can scour things? Won't that ruin the boards over time?

I feel that if this is not a question the devs what to answer 500 times a day then they should look at adding a spot on the kicker with recommended pens and erasers for replacements as well as board maintenance in how to keep it clean and in good condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Mariucci

Wisconsin
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
That is a great idea, I will add it to the FAQ soon.

Thank you for the feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
deekerston schweddy
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Whoa there cowboy. Day life so aggressive. I can see who we're dealing with here. I was simply responding to a direct statement YOU had made. I will end it here as, again, I can see who we are dealing with here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
deekerston schweddy
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I too will end up likely backing out if an alternative to the dry erase isn't worked out as I have never owned ANYTHING that was dry erase that didn't end up looking like a complete mess no matter how hard you try and no matter what product you use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bone White
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dry Erase works perfectly fine in other games, see Captain Sonar for a highly rated game which uses the same system to mark the boards:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/171131/captain-sonar

Edit:

I actually view the dry erase boards as a pro, not a con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
Bone White wrote:
I actually view the dry erase boards as a pro, not a con.

I think in theory the idea is actually cool, but I do not have much confidence in it.

Maybe they should make some character sheets that you can just print out.. like Shadows of Brimestone uses? Have an official nicely setout looking image or document that you can print on your printer and just use.

I would rather have something like this I can just print out and use a pencil and eraser on for that "one game".

Something like this added in would be a big plus imo. That way people that are cool with it can use the boards, and those of us that are boardgame collectors can just print out fresh sheets when needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bone White
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DayinDaLife wrote:
Maybe they should make some character sheets that you can just print out..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
Bone White wrote:
DayinDaLife wrote:
Maybe they should make some character sheets that you can just print out..

that is EXACTLY what I just said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Mariucci

Wisconsin
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
This would be very easy for us to do, it would just take some extra time for me to modify the player cards. Consider this challenge accepted. We'll include printable versions of the role placcards.

As far as timing is concerned, we'll be sure that they are ready to download on our site before the game ships.

Thanks for the idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Meunier
United States
Woodstock
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Residue from dry erase ink usually washes off pretty well with just a damp cloth. I teach on dry erase boards at school, and I keep a small one at home on the 'fridge. Never had a problem with not being able to clean off the ink. For added insurance, if you want to add your own laminate to the board, go to Staples and get some sticky laminating sheets for a couple bucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just to voice the other side, I love the idea of dry erase. It keeps the trackers simple. No dials, sliders etc. No pads of paper. Little markings or notes can be added to signify things if I so desire. It is certainly trivial to remove dry erase residue.

I know some people really get concerned about keeping games pristine, but that is not me. I just want to play the game and have fun, and this seems just wonderful to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
mariuccij wrote:
Thanks for the idea!

Awesome.. I really think this is a good move on your part and defiantly makes me want to go in now.

Just remember to produce a colour and a "print friendly" version!

jeffrey_a_meunier wrote:
I teach on dry erase boards at school, and I keep a small one at home on the 'fridge. Never had a problem with not being able to clean off the ink.

That's funny, as I am also a teacher and much of my comments in this thread is because of the white boards, as well as some other things like my kid has a white board play set to draw on and I also make custom components for games that I laminate and use white board markers on....

ALL get very dirty and smudged.

Now it doesn't matter if it is a laminated print out.. but an actual component of the game... no way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bone White
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My experience with white-boards is two fold.

One, quality. Cheap white boards always get dirty and you can't ever remove the greying effect.

Two, cleaning fluid. Don't simply rely on dry erase but use (as previously stated) an alcohol solution every three or four uses to keep the boards squeaky-clean.

As an extra note, perhaps you could supply an add on which is a paper pad of colour-printed class dashboards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
Bone White wrote:
As an extra note, perhaps you could supply an add on which is a paper pad of colour-printed class dashboards?

That would be a cool add-on / stretch goal.. though a PDF on the website is also a must.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthijs NL
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DayinDaLife wrote:
Bone White wrote:

That would be a cool add-on / stretch goal.. though a PDF on the website is also a must.

It could be added to the heroes of explore it pdf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffrey_a_meunier wrote:
Residue from dry erase ink usually washes off pretty well with just a damp cloth. I teach on dry erase boards at school, and I keep a small one at home on the 'fridge. Never had a problem with not being able to clean off the ink. For added insurance, if you want to add your own laminate to the board, go to Staples and get some sticky laminating sheets for a couple bucks.

I have to necro this freshly dead thread to mirror this comment. I teach and we use homemade whiteboards every day. I took a piece of cardstock and stuck them inside one of those plastic page holders you stick in a binder. The kids write on those and wipe them off everyday.

Do they smudge?

From 17 years of teaching experience (and 1741 students), I can tell you with 98% certitude that if you smudge a dry-erase marker, it's because you didn't wait until the ink was dry. They're called dry erase for a reason. If you wait 10 seconds, blow gently across the drying ink, your whiteboard/laminated sheet will look as good as new on contract day 188 as it did in September. I have proof in my classroom.

Why only 98% certitude? Some brands' inks are better than others (the best is the old Full-Odor Expo markers), and if you use cheaper off brand pens, I will say I have experienced a greater smudge rate there.

I'm not trying to troll the OP, because he's entitled to his opinion and he's been very polite about it (and I really like his Avatar), but I want to toss in my $ about DRY-erase so people understand and aren't concerned.

PS. If you don't like the eraser, take a dead cotton t-shirt or sock, cut it up and use it. One cut-up shirt should provide enough scraps for a Geek playing this game for at least 15-20 years. Far longer than you'll actually play the dang game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also will point out that we're talking about plastic coated materials here, not whiteboard materials, which are a whole separate class of beast.

Plastic + dry erase = thumbsup

When you start talking about Tileboard for a bathroom (what a whiteboard is really made of), that changes things because not all tileboards are created equal.

But for this game, we're talking plastics on paper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.