Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Ticket to Ride: Rails & Sails» Forums » Rules

Subject: Game End Confusion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Laura Eby
Canada
flag msg tools
Hello,

I played the Great Lakes side of Rails & Sails last night with a group of friends and really enjoyed it, except that ... by the end we were all almost going batty with how long it took to end, desperately trying to get rid of boats and train pieces wherever we could fit them at 1 a.m., and so we knew we must have read something wrong with the rules about the game end.

The rule book states that the game ends "when any one player's supply of plastic pieces contains six pieces or fewer (regardless of their type)." The part that we were confused about is whether this means 6 or fewer pieces TOTAL or 6 or fewer pieces of one type? For example, does the combined total of one player's ships and trains have to be 6 or less, or could they have, say, 6 ships but still 15 boats left for the game to end? If anyone could offer clarification on this, that would be great. Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
leby wrote:
Hello,

I played the Great Lakes side of Rails & Sails last night with a group of friends and really enjoyed it, except that ... by the end we were all almost going batty with how long it took to end, desperately trying to get rid of boats and train pieces wherever we could fit them at 1 a.m., and so we knew we must have read something wrong with the rules about the game end.

The rule book states that the game ends "when any one player's supply of plastic pieces contains six pieces or fewer (regardless of their type)." The part that we were confused about is whether this means 6 or fewer pieces TOTAL or 6 or fewer pieces of one type? For example, does the combined total of one player's ships and trains have to be 6 or less, or could they have, say, 6 ships but still 15 boats left for the game to end? If anyone could offer clarification on this, that would be great. Thanks!


"6 pieces or fewer (regardless of their type)" means 6 pieces total, no matter what kind(s) they are. So if you have 3 ships and 3 trains, the game end is triggered. Same for 5 ships and 1 trains, or just 6 trains and no boats.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Looking for resources in how to grow in friendship, unity, and/or intimacy in marriage? - Ask me!
badge
More Woo-Hoo Gamer reviews coming throughout 2018!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Without a doubt, TTR: Rails and Sails is the longest of the TTR games. That said, if it was your first time, it will likely play more quickly in future plays. It takes my family of four about 90 minutes to play through a game. The first play probably took a little over 2 hours.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
WooHoo1 wrote:
Without a doubt, TTR: Rails and Sails is the longest of the TTR games. That said, if it was your first time, it will likely play more quickly in future plays. It takes my family of four about 90 minutes to play through a game. The first play probably took a little over 2 hours.

We find the Great Lakes map is faster than the World map. GL is about an hour. World is about 90 minutes.

But yes. The end game trigger is a little confusing. As already stated, the end game is triggered as soon as any one player is down to six or fewer plastic route markers (trains and/or ships). Each player then has two more turns. I usually try to have a few harbors ready to go for the end game. Though sometimes it is advantageous to get them out early.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Looking for resources in how to grow in friendship, unity, and/or intimacy in marriage? - Ask me!
badge
More Woo-Hoo Gamer reviews coming throughout 2018!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to know. Our plays have all been on the world map. We hope to get to the Great Lakes soon!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dcclark wrote:
leby wrote:
Hello,

I played the Great Lakes side of Rails & Sails last night with a group of friends and really enjoyed it, except that ... by the end we were all almost going batty with how long it took to end, desperately trying to get rid of boats and train pieces wherever we could fit them at 1 a.m., and so we knew we must have read something wrong with the rules about the game end.

The rule book states that the game ends "when any one player's supply of plastic pieces contains six pieces or fewer (regardless of their type)." The part that we were confused about is whether this means 6 or fewer pieces TOTAL or 6 or fewer pieces of one type? For example, does the combined total of one player's ships and trains have to be 6 or less, or could they have, say, 6 ships but still 15 boats left for the game to end? If anyone could offer clarification on this, that would be great. Thanks!


"6 pieces or fewer (regardless of their type)" means 6 pieces total, no matter what kind(s) they are. So if you have 3 ships and 3 trains, the game end is triggered. Same for 5 ships and 1 trains, or just 6 trains and no boats.

don't have the rules in front of me, but they said something to the effect of "6 plastic pieces [in your color]". Can't remember if the [text] was in it or not. Anyway, I read it to include harbors as well as they are plastic pieces [in your color].
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Amick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JVKhoury wrote:
dcclark wrote:
leby wrote:
Hello,

I played the Great Lakes side of Rails & Sails last night with a group of friends and really enjoyed it, except that ... by the end we were all almost going batty with how long it took to end, desperately trying to get rid of boats and train pieces wherever we could fit them at 1 a.m., and so we knew we must have read something wrong with the rules about the game end.

The rule book states that the game ends "when any one player's supply of plastic pieces contains six pieces or fewer (regardless of their type)." The part that we were confused about is whether this means 6 or fewer pieces TOTAL or 6 or fewer pieces of one type? For example, does the combined total of one player's ships and trains have to be 6 or less, or could they have, say, 6 ships but still 15 boats left for the game to end? If anyone could offer clarification on this, that would be great. Thanks!


"6 pieces or fewer (regardless of their type)" means 6 pieces total, no matter what kind(s) they are. So if you have 3 ships and 3 trains, the game end is triggered. Same for 5 ships and 1 trains, or just 6 trains and no boats.

don't have the rules in front of me, but they said something to the effect of "6 plastic pieces [in your color]". Can't remember if the [text] was in it or not. Anyway, I read it to include harbors as well as they are plastic pieces [in your color].


As usual, the English translation leaves something to be desired. The French and German definitely make it clear that it's only ships and trains.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.