Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Martin
United States
Marietta
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How much do you talk about during a two player wargame? I'm sure it varies from game to opponent, but what is your average or most talkative?

Do you talk about tangential topics like the history of the conflict, small talk, philosophy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfy Burger
Mali
Bamako
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I talk all the time about all sorts of things. It's a real issue considering I mostly play solo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luka Kovač Plavi
Croatia
Našice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In any serious army fraternization with the enemy is punishable by death!

So yeah, we dont talk, we shout obscenities at each other in german.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Bodymore
Murderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I make pew-pew sounds when I kill your counters and stack them like little cardboard corpses.
Bet you didn't even know they could scream when they're run over by armor, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
If I talked during play, I wouldn't be able to concentrate on crushing my enemies, seeing them driven before me, and hearing the lamentations of their women.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Taylor
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
“... an iron curtain has descended across the Continent.” — Sir Winston Churchill (1946)
badge
So serious...
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot.

We talk about rules clarifications, the setting, other history, other games, etc.

EDIT:

If it suddenly gets very quiet, it means something big is about to go down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Given one of the primary reasons I play games is social, my typical game sessions are filled with conversation about any and all topics under the sun.

And about the game on the table of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
Given one of the primary reasons I play games is social, my typical game sessions are filled with conversation about any and all topics under the sun.

And about the game on the table of course.

We always talk. The guys I game with are my friends. If I get quiet watch out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin McCleary
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
depends. If it's someone I know well it's open season, just talk shit back and forth and have a good time. If it's someone newish I tend to tone it down a bit until I understand the personality.

since it is primarily a social hobby shared with someone who has like interests I want the interaction and banter. If I want quiet I play solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once in a very very long time, there is silence.

Pete (will talk if nobody else does)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Moss
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I primarily play solo, and I interact heavily with the 1 Player Guild here on BGG, so I can safely say that over there you'd hear a typical answer: "I go from mumbling to yelling at myself, all in the same game...regardless of the game".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim S.
United States
CA, TX
flag msg tools
designer
See designer's page...
badge
"Reading history, Pinky..."
mbmbmbmbmb
sir_gunblade wrote:
Do you talk about tangential topics like the history of the conflict, small talk, philosophy?

Silly trash-talk, for the most part. Maybe trying to psych the opponent out, or maybe trying to top Pythonesque lines relevant to the conflict at hand, or the odd twisted movie quote.

But nevertheless, a constant stream of dialogue about what-I'm-going-to-do-to-you, or oh-no-that-move-of-yours-won't-work, that eventually gets woven into the game narrative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurtis Swekla
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do all sorts of talking in my games. Trashy talking, about the war, the game, the rules, our personal lives (as I tend to play with friends), small talk and get to you know you stuff with people that are more acquaintances, etc, etc, etc.

I find that some people like to talk during games, some don't like to talk at all. Some like to chat before or after the game but during the game they like to focus on the game at hand. Some people get distracted by talking (including me) and their turn extends on for a long time due to the distraction. As it is a social experience to play a game face to face, I like some sort of talking and relationship, otherwise I should just play solo or against the computer, but that isn't as much fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuckster williams
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
I'm an old guy (68) who plays strictly solo. I have spectacular conversations with myself all the time. If they ever put a hidden camera in my apartment, I'm pretty sure they will lock me away for the remainder of my days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A decent amount. If it undermines my opponent, even better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite a bit. Sometimes, it even has something to do with the game we are playing...sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Howe
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:

The old "Wargame in the Cone of Silence" trick!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sevigny
United States
Washington
D.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Earlgrey wrote:
Hungadunga wrote:

Was the legendary SPI "six numbered counters instead of dice" scheme actually an intelligence operation to allow silent wargaming without loud tiny plastic dice rolling across the table?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Earlgrey wrote:
Hungadunga wrote:

Faversham: You think you've got me, but I have you surrounded by the entire mounted 17th Bengal Lancers.
Khan: I don't believe you.
Faversham: Would you believe the First Bengal Lancers?
Khan: No
Faversham: How about Gunga Din on a donkey?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shut up and roll. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The amount of non-game-related chit-chat depends on my opponent (I'm pretty shy, so if they don't talk I generally don't either), but on occasion I do waffle on a bit during the game when deciding what to do. I sometimes worry that I'm annoying people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As my opponents will readily testify : it's not getting me to talk that's the problem, it's getting me to shut up.

Mostly about the history and tangential history, but I'm also quiet willing to talk openly about the strategic and tactical options we all have in a given situation - even in a game without diplomacy.

As winning is not my main objective when playing a game - exploring the game-space is much more interesting to me - all talk is very light-hearted, bordering on trash-talk sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heck, we talk a lot.

We make pew pew sounds as well. We talk about rules. We trash talk. We crack jokes about the history. We talk seriously about the history. We talk in bad fake accents of the nationalities involved in the game. We ask for more beer. We give propaganda speeches. We talk about our daily lives. We make up little stories about units in the game in some unusual situation. We comment on our exploits newsreel style. And yeah, when it gets quiet, something's afoot..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
oldsin wrote:
We talk in bad fake accents of the nationalities involved in the game.

Ooh - that one - my best wargaming session ever involved a friend talking smack about his invincible French musketeers in the fakest of fake French accents. In the end the rest of us didn't care about our victory objectives anymore, we just wanted to annihilate his forces just to make him shut up - good times

Multi-player wargames often have a kind of RPG element in them - at least they lend themselves to it - it's no wonder D&D evolved from a miniature medieval warfare ruleset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.