Popular Tags: [View All]
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a stray thought: Surely with this much darkstone, money, and monsters floating around the area of Brimstone, the posse that I'm in can't be the ONLY group of adventurers out there. The town we were just in, that had a void tornado destroy the doctor's office, is gonna be a disappointment for someone else riding in trying to find a place to heal up.

I've been toying with the idea of multiple gaming groups playing on the same map, venturing to the same towns, sealing/destroying the same mines, rebuilding and saving the same towns, but I'm trying to decide the best way to handle the bookkeeping end of this. So let's say there are three groups: A, B, & C. Each one will be playing Hexcrawl and they will start on Jan 1, 1885. A will start on a random hex on the north side of the map, B on the east and C on the south. They would play their game as normal, tracking where they are on each date as time passes, but when they come to a town, they would need to check to see the status/state of that town on that date.

For example: Posse A, during their first session, manages to make it to Fringe on Jan 8th and then heads off to Old Ed's Mine. While they are in Fringe on the 8th, something horrible happens and the Blacksmith is destroyed.

B was in Fringe on the 3rd during their first session. During their second session they head back to Fringe to upgrade their weapons and they get there on the 9th, WHOOOPS, the Blacksmith is now gone!!!

And Posse C, on their first mission successfully destroyed Old Ed's Mine on Jan 3rd, so when Posse A gets there, well, they are SOL on that one.

Obviously, a webpage or an app where a posse could click a town and a date and then do quick updates to what they have done town-wise or mine-wise (or even if they failed a mine mission and a nearby town suffered because of it). Or as they arrive at a town, they click on their date and the town and see what the current status of the town is. Sadly, I do not possess those mad coding skills.

In lieu of that, perhaps a shared online spreadsheet with each sheet containing the towns (buildings, type, traits) and the mines (status). Then there would be a sheet for each day of the year (Yeah 365 sheets). As a posse goes through their session, they check and update the appropriate sheet.

Of course there might be some hiccups if two posse's are in the same town or the same mine on the same date in game time and the in real time.

Give me ideas, suggestions, or any other input. Let's expand Hexcrawl into HexWorld!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dug fromthearth
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
simple question: why?

it seems like a fair amount of work. How would it make it a better gaming experience for the players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple answer, Cuz. I know the draw of video gaming can be playing in a world changed by other players. I was wondering if this could make the Hexcrawl experience more dynamic and harder to beat.

Been looking at free online database tools and Airtable looks interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you do if posse A visits Belleville on Feb. 10th (IG), but the next weekend (IRL) posse B visits Belleville on Feb. 4th (IG) and destroys half the town?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I knew there was a hole in my thinking! There is no way to account for that instance. One would have to assume that the town was able to rebuild within those 6 days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ScottL
United States
Weare
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
... So let's say there are three groups: A, B, & C. Each one will be playing Hexcrawl and they will start on Jan 1, 1885. A will start on a random hex on the north side of the map, B on the east and C on the south. They would play their game as normal, tracking where they are on each date as time passes, but when they come to a town, they would need to check to see the status/state of that town on that date ...

I do this in Hexcrawl for myself and my family (we have a few posse's going off and on). Near the end of page 16 of the Hexcrawl topic.

I have each posse keep a log of where they are and I pencil in major events that might effect other posse's on a calendar. Seems to work OK for a few groups without getting heavy into book keeping. Sort of a "lite" version of what you are describing, geared to a handful of posse's

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Z
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you were going to be able to do something like this, then I don't think time could be relative to each posse, it would have to be fixed to the world itself and ticking even between sessions.

It's interesting food for thought. Could have special events happen certain days and different groups would have to literally race to get the goods before someone else gets them. Or missions where two different gates have to be closed simultaneously, and two groups have to coordinate to do it. Things like that could create some fun experiences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScooterNH wrote:
okiedokie wrote:
... So let's say there are three groups: A, B, & C. Each one will be playing Hexcrawl and they will start on Jan 1, 1885. A will start on a random hex on the north side of the map, B on the east and C on the south. They would play their game as normal, tracking where they are on each date as time passes, but when they come to a town, they would need to check to see the status/state of that town on that date ...

I do this in Hexcrawl for myself and my family (we have a few posse's going off and on). Near the end of page 16 of the Hexcrawl topic.

I have each posse keep a log of where they are and I pencil in major events that might effect other posse's on a calendar. Seems to work OK for a few groups without getting heavy into book keeping. Sort of a "lite" version of what you are describing, geared to a handful of posse's

I saw that. That's where I picked up the 01/01/1885 date.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ScottL
United States
Weare
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL No Prob. Wasn't sure if you saw that.

Anyway, the other day as it turned out two of my posse's actually overlapped in the same place at the same date, so I ran with it. Basically I just had them share a camp together that night and swap tales. (suppose I could have traded gear, but it was just coincidental)

Even funnier was that these both happened to be my own solo groups I had been running (several weeks apart in real time) so literally I was swapping tales with myself

I had been doing the diary/log per posse for a long time, but just started this calendar thing more recently, and now thinking about it, things could indeed get interesting. Say one posse was leaving a mine and another just entering. "Not sure why you're going in there friends, we just cleared the place out and headin back to town." "What, no night terror? You know, big... hairy... hard to miss... 'specially with that farmers kid under his arm? We was fixin to rescue him. Hmmm. Oh well, guess we'll head back..."

Though honestly, mines can get closed and re-open, new threats can occur overnight so it's not a big deal. I suppose if there was a blow the mine mission or something, or like had been mentioned, a failure causing destruction to nearby towns, if they were recorded, we could deal with them by adjusting the narrative. It all just adds to the fun.

LOL... Imagine one posse in town while another just epic fails a mission and the saloon comes crashing down upon them. "Looks like the Jenkins boys completely botched that mission they wuz boasting about how easy it'd be"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dug fromthearth
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Llucid wrote:
If you were going to be able to do something like this, then I don't think time could be relative to each posse, it would have to be fixed to the world itself and ticking even between sessions.

It's interesting food for thought. Could have special events happen certain days and different groups would have to literally race to get the goods before someone else gets them. Or missions where two different gates have to be closed simultaneously, and two groups have to coordinate to do it. Things like that could create some fun experiences.

I agree - if they were not just in the same world, but in the same storyline (whether coop or competitive groups) it would add an interesting dynamic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
It'd be crazy to organize, but might be possible if everyone worked off of some sort of collaborative map. Maybe a web-based whiteboard app would be the easiest way to pull it off, with each group just leaving comments/notes and making updates along the way. As long as updates were made in a timely manner, it could prevent conflicting stories from emerging (or maybe that just gets blamed on dimensional portals and anomalies). If left up as a collaborative whiteboard, it could just hang around and evolve over time as groups come & go and try their hands at a HexCrawl campaign

I suspect though, that after not that many sessions, the entire place would just be burned to the ground with nothing left standing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking, at most, having four posse's at a time. I would also mark the hexes like wargame maps with row/column designations (A1-30, B1-30, etc)

And they would need to be consistent groups, weekly, biweekly and such. I'll check into the whiteboard idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ScottL
United States
Weare
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At least the version of the Hexcrawl map I have (from the first incarnation) already has a coordinate system. I use it from time to time. the coords didn't get removed did they?

I'd always just assumed we were talking about local groups playing locally. But a shared online Whiteboard and shared calendar would probably work fine for non-local game groups as you describe. Totally agree it'd have to be a small group of posse's Just a handful as you mention. Would get out of hand pretty quickly otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.