Adrián Novell
msg tools
designer

DISCLAIMER: You'll notice some things in spanish. That's because this game is being developed and released in Argentina.

"Mages & Taverns" is a game inspired by Magic The Gathering mixed with some bluffing and diplomacy with really simple and fast turns.
It tells the story of 3 thirsty mages in a tavern where there's only 1 beer left. Who is going to get it?

Game Designer: Adrián Novell
Artists: Matias Pan / Arturo Miraglia / Sebastián Koziner

Number of Players: 3 - 4
Play Time: 40-50 minutes

Facebook: http://facebook.com/magosytabernas

80% completed. The game will be launched on July 2017 in Argentina.

RULES
Setup
. Place the beer token in the middle of the table
. Each player places 2 randomly selected cards (facing down) in front of them.
. Each player gets 3 cards.

"The beer in the middle, every player with 2 cards in front of them"

Winning
In order to get the beer, players must first get the 2 cards in front of them.
In order to get 1 card they need to get 3 gems.
And lastly in order to get one gem, 3 Orbs are needed.

"The flow is easy, 3 orbs = 1 gem, 3 gems = 1 card, 2 cards + 3 gems and you win."

The Turn
On each turn, players have 1 Action Point. That point can be used to:
- Get an Orb
- Draw a card
- Use a card

There are 3 types of cards:
- Instant: costs 0 action point to play them. This means that they can be played whenever!
- Verb: always cost 1 action point to be played.
- Objects: objects have to be put on the table before using their effects. Putting them down always costs 1 Action Point, then, using one may, or may not, cost 1 more action point.

The game goes by with these simple rules.
Turns are really simple, each card gives strategic value, making alliances and/or backstabbing is needed to win.

RULEBOOK
As soon as we have a full translation we will share it with you all.

COMPONENTS
- 1 Plastic beer
- 9 Plastic Orbs
- 15 Plastic Gems
- 40 Cards
- 1 Rule book

GAME DESIGN DECISIONS
Some basic guidelines for the design of the game were:
- Quick turns: the game must allow for quick decision making. The turn of an experienced player must last no more than 5-10 seconds.
- Alliances and Backstabbing: several cards were introduced to allow this dynamic.
- Balance the feel and not the game: Some cards are broken if analyzed in terms of numeric values, but it's a decision made in order to strengthen the feel of the game.

GRAPHIC DESIGN

All the cards from the game (In Spanish)

Evolution of the cards graphic design

Back of the cards

First iteration for the box

TESTING
We tested the game at several events including some major events in Argentina and as well the 2017 GDC.

TO DO
- Blind testing of the rulebook
- Minor card tweaks and balancing - DONE
- Video Tutorial
- New Teaser Trailer
- Box design
- Create a PnP version

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezequiel Wittner
Argentina
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hola!
Es interesante la propuesta, pero me da la sensación de que hay varios huecos en la jugabilidad o al menos en la explicación.

Por lo pronto vi:
- Estás utilizando el concepto de daño y no el concepto de vida.
- No vi las gemas que te permiten conseguir cartas.
- Me faltan indicadores de Shards y gemas obtenidas
- Si hay varias cartas que indican que se pueden jugar inmediatamente, tu mano se completa nuevamente?
- El cap 3-4 es muy jugado, me atrevería a decir que con las pocas reglas propuestas podrían poner un 3-5

Me gustaría probarlo en algún momento.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael DeAngelo
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Those are some gorgeous cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrián Novell
msg tools
designer
Ezequiel!
Si, gracias por el feedback, paso a aclarar algunas cosas:
- Estás utilizando el concepto de daño y no el concepto de vida.
. Los jugadores no tienen vida, ese concepto, efectivamente, no existe en el juego. Lo que si se hace es daño a las gemas de los rivales (se las destruye).
- No vi las gemas que te permiten conseguir cartas.
. No entendí esta. ¿Será "las cartas que permiten conseguir gemas"? En ese caso, si las hay. Cartas que permiten conseguir gemas y orbes, que aceleran.
- Me faltan indicadores de Shards y gemas obtenidas
. Las gemas y los Orbes son componentes físicos del juego.
- Si hay varias cartas que indican que se pueden jugar inmediatamente, tu mano se completa nuevamente?
. No, es el tradeoff! Robar una carta cuesta un turno.
- El cap 3-4 es muy jugado, me atrevería a decir que con las pocas reglas propuestas podrían poner un 3-5
. Por los componentes y dinámica, un 5to jugador sería imposible. Ya de a 4 a veces se pone lento y engorroso. El mejor número es 3 jugadores. Otras opiniones me dijeron que en ese número no hay muchos juegos que funcionen del todo bien, así que lo ven como una fortaleza. Yo desconozco.

Espero anotarme pronto en la jornada de testeo de mayo!
Abrazo grande y gracias!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eurojuegos Buenos Aires
Argentina
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interested in this. Subscribed!

So a turn is supposed to last 5-10 seconds and the game can last 40-50 minutes, right? That is a whole lot of turns! If there are only 40 cards in the deck, and you play over 200 per game, doesn't it get repetitive? Do you have enough variety/strategies with 20 different cards?

Is it really that fast paced? It doesn't seem to be if it bogs down with 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrián Novell
msg tools
designer
Pastor_Mora wrote:
Very interested in this. Subscribed!

So a turn is supposed to last 5-10 seconds and the game can last 40-50 minutes, right? That is a whole lot of turns! If there are only 40 cards in the deck, and you play over 200 per game, doesn't it get repetitive? Do you have enough variety/strategies with 20 different cards?

Is it really that fast paced? It doesn't seem to be if it bogs down with 4 players.

Hi there!

Not all the turns last 5-10 seconds! Sometimes players must think about their strategy and sometimes there are long discussions about what to do next (alliances, betrayals). The idea is to make the options easy in order to make it as quick as possible. Most of the times the turns are: "I get an orb, your turn", or "I draw a card, your turn", but sometimes discussion over a possible action wil take a lot of time, like "should we attack this guy?". When all the players are experienced enough, the game will last no more than 25-30 min.

The game allows for a wide range of strategies indeed!
And when it bogs down, that doesn't affect the pacing, just the overall time of the session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.