Subject: Quagmire: "Controlling player" and looking at cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
When I retired, I decided to explore the Seven Deadly Sins. Perhaps I shouldn't have started with Sloth. It's been four years and that's as far as I've gotten.
mbmbmbmbmb
On p. 10, section 6.4, Quagmire, after explaining how losses are calculated, there is a paragraph that reads:

Quote:
The controlling player may always look at their cards in the Quagmire. The opponent may not, unless they look via an Intel action on their turn.

Does "controlling player" refer to the defender (who controls the space) or to the owner of the cards (that is, both sides can view their own cards)?

Usually control refers to province control, which would mean here that the attacker has no idea which of his own cards have been lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only look at your own cards freely. You need to use Intel to look at your opponents cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
When I retired, I decided to explore the Seven Deadly Sins. Perhaps I shouldn't have started with Sloth. It's been four years and that's as far as I've gotten.
mbmbmbmbmb
engelstein wrote:
You can only look at your own cards freely. You need to use Intel to look at your opponents cards.

Thanks, Geoff, though that doesn't really answer my apparently poorly worded question.

I'm asking if in that quoted paragraph, does "controlling player" refer to each player as "controlling" their cards, or the defender as "controlling" the province?

Every other instance in the rules, "control" refers to a province. Here it seems to mean cards. If you redo the rules, I suggest you change this particular instance of the word.

Edit: to put it most simply: Can the attacker look at his own cards in a Quagmire?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
Steffan -

Sorry I wasn't clear.

In a quagmire, each player can always look at their own cards freely. The rule was intended to mean the player controlling the cards in question.

As a general rule, a player may ALWAYS look at their own cards, regardless of where the are. The ONLY exception to that rule is the Draw deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.