This submission is to the 2017 Two-Player PnP Contest, to be considered for:
- Best New Designer
- Best Game with Language Independent Components
- Best Date Night Game
- Best Game to Play with Your Child
- Best Casual/Gateway Game
and the category that prompted it's invention:
- Best Deck & Dice Game

This game is inspired by an improv activity I learned some years ago.

Counting Cards is a 2-4 player card game filler where players count according to one set of rules while playing cards according to different ones. Dice create both a time pressure element and a way of besting your opponent. I'm hoping to fry some brains with this one.

Components

- 54 cards: 9 each of the numbers 1,2,3,4,5,6 (all with different colors, fonts, number representations)
- 1 6-sided die per player

Approximate Playing Time

~ 10-15 minutes

How to play (2-player version):

Deal out all of the cards so that each player gets an equal amount. Players collect their cards in a pile face down in front of them. Then each takes as many from their pile as they feel comfortable holding. This game is going to move fast, and they will need to grab more cards at times with no pause in the action, so it's up to them how they want to manage this.

There is a single discard pile in the middle of the table. Each player also receives one 6-sided die. Dice must be placed on the playing surface at least one foot away from the discard pile.

The first player takes a card and places it on the discard pile with the number showing. As the player places the card, he/she says, "One" (unless that contradicts the rule of the specific card they played - see below).

The second player has to play a card onto the discard that is the same number as, or one away from, the card on the first player's pile. So 1,2 or 3 could play on 2, 2,3,4 on 3, 3,4,5 on 4, 4,5,6 on 5, 5,6,1 on 6, and 6,1,2 on 1. When they place it, they say, "Two" (again, unless that contradicts the rule of the specific card they played).

Then the first player places a card following the same rules, and says, "Three."

The number counted to should be one higher than the number of players. So with two players, the count ends at three.

Now, back and forth they place cards - always the same number as what was last played or one away from it - but with each play they continue the back and forth pattern: "One." "Two." Three." "One." "Two." "Three."

If either player messes up - either by saying the wrong number or playing a disallowed card - their opponent collects all of the cards and keeps them as points. If any player has fewer than 10 cards at the start of a round, count the collected ones, score, then deal them out again to continue. The first player to 100 points wins.

Special Cards

Some cards break the counting rules above. They are as follows:

(1) Any time a player plays a 1 card, they say "One" no matter what the current count is. This starts the count over again, so the next person's count would be "Two".

(4) When a player plays a 4, they do not say anything. This card pauses the count, so if the player before them said, "Two," the next play would be "Three" (provided the card played is not a special).

(6) When a player plays a 6, they always say, "Bop!" This card pauses the count, so if the player before them said, "Two," the next play would be "Three" (provided the card played is not a special).

Using the Dice To Score

A player can also win the discard pile by grabbing their die and placing it on the pile with the same number showing that is on the top card. they must use the same hand to grab the die that they used to place the card. If they place the die with the wrong side turned up, the other player takes the pile.

The die can not be used on the first card played in a round.

If there is a dispute about whether the die or card got to the pile first, the card wins and play continues.

If a player fails to win with the die, they have to place it at least a foot away from the discard pile before placing their next card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie A.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Re: One Two Three: 2017 Two-Player PnP Contest Entry
Sounds fun and miserably hard! I can imagine throwing the dice in could be even more frantic. Very cool idea!

You said each player has their own discard pile? It seems like you could add to the frantic pace by making just one pile that all players throw their cards on in the middle, giving a bigger reward if they roll! Just a thought, though, because that would just make the game end even faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sals
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: One Two Three: 2017 Two-Player PnP Contest Entry
Alamantus wrote:
You said each player has their own discard pile? It seems like you could add to the frantic pace by making just one pile that all players throw their cards on in the middle, giving a bigger reward if they roll! Just a thought, though, because that would just make the game end even faster.

Great question about the discard piles. I was going back and forth on whether it would be better to have one pile or one for each person. Probably would have to play it both ways and see which one was more fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sals
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
Okay, I finally got a chance to play-test this with a friend. It was fun and we were definitely laughing, but it wasn't nearly crazy enough. Keeping the "One, Two, Three" count was surprisingly easy, and only having three different numbers on the cards made the slip-ups rare.

I've added a bit of complexity which I think should amp up the confusion and the fun.

Also, per Robbie's suggestion, I've made it a single discard pile (you were right, it works better that way).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
Hi David
Just a reminder of the 8 May deadline to get your components done, otherwise the game will be withdrawn from the contest on that date.
Cheers, JK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sals
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
JohnKean wrote:
Hi David
Just a reminder of the 8 May deadline to get your components done, otherwise the game will be withdrawn from the contest on that date.
Cheers, JK

Hi John,

Thank you, I'm gong to withdraw this game from the contest. I think it has some interesting elements but I'm still not quite happy with how it's coming together, so I'm going to spend some time playing around with it, and maybe bring it back for next year's contest.

Cheers,
David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
dsals wrote:
I'm gong to withdraw this game from the contest.

Too bad, but as you say: there's always next year...

Cheers,
JK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.