Subject: Is it Smash up for me? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
petrolito petrolito
Spain
Alaska
flag msg tools
Hi guys,

I have been offered a second hand "smash up" copy + "awesome level 9000" in neat condition with all the cards in their sleeves for 29 €. I find it to be a good offer, but I am afraid of buying the game because of the negative reviews I read, because i do not want it to get dust in the shelf. I am not looking for a filler but a more complex game.

The thing is that in my group games like Stone Age, Smallworld w
and Samurai sword work well, but not munchkin. Even though, my group like rol games and the fantastic theme.

What do you think? Is the game that tedious or are the comments exaggerations? Is it a good option to buy it for 3/4 person game? I have read about the home rule of using always 3 bases and play to 12 PV. Do that accelerate the pace?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Chapman
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have not played variant. So I can not answer that. I enjoy the game alot
And also love RPGs.I can say I like all games so really hard fore not to like something. I would say it is a sold and good game and seems to move pretty quick on its own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the game at 2-3 player but 4 is to much as the game over stays it's welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is how every play has gone for me:

Game Starts:

This sounds like a cool combo let's mix this and that. Boy, I wonder how this is going to work?

Play Starts:

I play a minion here and then take an action.
Opponents place their minions and take actions clearing your stuff or moving them around etc.
You do the same etc. etc and etc.

OK, this is getting a bit repetitive but I get to play a combo every turn.

About a half hour in:

After running in place for most of the game some bases have been scored and a leader is determined. Beat him down, now I am in the lead, here comes the smackdown on me etc.

After an hour:
The game is still going as everyone is eeking towards the scoring goal.

I am losing my will to stay focused on the game as your actions don't seem to matter much.

The constant basic math and repetitive actions just sink this thing. I am no longer interested in "trying" it again. I have played at least in 4 different settings with different groups of players and, I hate to say it, "it felt like Munchkin with the same visual jokes".

If you like Munchkin then perhaps this will be your game but otherwise it is just too much randomness at all player counts and goes on forever.

Try before you buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Bolt
United States
Bar Harbor
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a bad game. It is one that I will play sometimes, but isn't a favorite. Definitely start with less bases, with more bases, everyone just gravitates to their own base, and they don't interact, which detracts from the game. It's fun and would personally like to explore it more. You definitely need an expansion, which you would have. Some factions work together much better than others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If given the option, I would rather play Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game. They are almost the same game IMO, but the latter pulls it off better for me mechanics wise. That being said Smash Up has loads of extra content, and Blood Bowl TM is now OOP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes it takes too long to be a filler game, it's a bit more complex than a typical filler game with all the different deck combinations/combo plays but yet it feels like a filler game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
petrolito petrolito
Spain
Alaska
flag msg tools
Thank for your answers.

I will think about all you said. . I am still not sure! :S

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morency
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
The fun starts by trying to decide which 2 factions to mix. For me, that's the most fun I have while playing.

I don't want to echo what someone else said about it going on too long, but everything they said is how I feel.

Also, if you are not able to draw minions when you need to it feels like you just can't do anything useful. I feel like some combinations of factions are very underpowered and some overpowering. The games take too long to experiment.

I think I might like this game better as an app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got nothing good to say about this game.

Try before you buy. But for me and my wife, it's on our list of games we will absolutely run from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
r0t1prata wrote:
Sometimes it takes too long to be a filler game, it's a bit more complex than a typical filler game with all the different deck combinations/combo plays but yet it feels like a filler game.

Yeah, I hate when a filler game feels like a filler, but with the length of a full sized game. Welcome to the Dungeon and a full game of Love Letter fall into this category for me.

Both games have taken 45-60 minutes to play yet I'm left with such a blah feeling afterwards. Compare it to quick fillers like No Thanks!, 10 minutes max in and out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
petrolito petrolito
Spain
Alaska
flag msg tools
I guess that due to the majority, I should avoid it.

I have been trying to find some motives to acquire it, but this game looks pretty polarizer. xD

Or you love it, or you hate it. I do not know if it because the game feels halfway between filler and "non filler" game, or because of the text and the comprehension you need to put while playing.

Normally when I look about opinions for a game, I find like 80/90% positive, but here it seems to be over 50%. It's an odd situation xD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My big problem with Smash-Up is that you really need to have a good idea about how all the different factions work before you can actually enjoy playing the game.

Otherwise it a) just takes too long because everyone's reading all the cards, and b) simply isn't enjoyable because you can end up with a faction combination that just doesn't work well, while someone else is running away with a power-combo.

I love the idea behind the game, but it just doesn't really work all that well in actuality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcom Chase
msg tools
mbmbmb
It's not as light as Munchkin, but it plays similarly. It can be fun when people are roughly the same skill level and are actually trying to win, but it can get boring if there's a huge knowledge difference or if one player decides to stop trying.

So as long as your group doesn't get salty quickly, you should be fine. It's actually a very fun back and forth at 2 players (my favorite way to play). It's an interesting tactical battle at 3 (I like it, it's good). It's a mess at 4 (I mean, it's not bad, it's just that bad things happen more with so many players and the rounds become rather long).

Personally, I like it. It's not for every group, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Newhero
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a free version to try on Steam if your interested. Only 3 factions you can try I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Sørensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smash up is a fun, but not very serious game - this becomes truer with increasing player count since the chaotic nature of the game increases. There are strategies and tactics to consider, sure, but it's definitely in the lighter area of the board gaming world.

We usually play it beer & pretzel style and try not to get frustrated with op and underdog combinations which is a certain issue in this game. So if your group generally likes balanced, intelligent games, you might not enjoy this game. For what it is, however, I very much enjoy my big geeky box

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just sold the same combo. I think it is a good game just not one that my family requested playing. We have a decent selection of games and when one game is not being requested by them, or myself, it has to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dutch

Indiana
msg tools
mb
You really need to play it first, a few times with different factions. It's not my go to game by any means, but I enjoy playing it from time to time. Having a couple of expansions really helps as it gives you more variety. You really can't approach Smash Up as a "play to win" game. I personally enjoy seeing what combinations I and others can come up with.

It does really help for everyone to be familiar with the cards and those who are familiar with Magic: The Gathering will have the least amount of issues getting up to speed quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Sallen
United States
Boone
Iowa
flag msg tools
The Good, The Board, and the Ugly & The Long View
badge
The Good, The Board, and the Ugly & The Long View
mbmbmbmbmb
petrolito wrote:
Hi guys,

I have been offered a second hand "smash up" copy + "awesome level 9000" in neat condition with all the cards in their sleeves for 29 €. I find it to be a good offer, but I am afraid of buying the game because of the negative reviews I read, because i do not want it to get dust in the shelf. I am not looking for a filler but a more complex game.

and Samurai sword work well, but not munchkin. Even though, my group like rol games and the fantastic theme.

What do you think? Is the game that tedious or are the comments exaggerations? Is it a good option to buy it for 3/4 person game? I have read about the home rule of using always 3 bases and play to 12 PV. Do that accelerate the pace?

The fact you're thinking about it this much tells me you want more than what Smash Up will offer.

I'll say I'm not a fan of the game, but it's definitely no more than a filler by my guidelines. Sure, you can play it with lots of people and it will go on all day, but you could also stab yourself in the eye with a fork.

If you're already at gateway level, having played games like Ticket to Ride and Pandemic, I would recommend that you get a more complex game. Even though I'm not a big fan of it either, I think Small World would offer some of the same general idea (mixing fantasy abilities together) I think the gameplay is less tedious. It's more confrontational, but that sounds like your group would do fine with it.

If you've played Small World, then I can't think of any reason to get Smash Up as a more complex game. Instead look towards Blood Rage for conflict, or a Feast for Odin for more of a euro-style. I think they are pretty thematic for roll players while still having nice bones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
petrolito wrote:
The thing is that in my group games like Stone Age, Smallworld and Samurai sword work well, but not munchkin. Even though, my group like rol games and the fantastic theme.

I could see recommending Smash Up to the right gamer, but that ain't you, brother. If you like Small World and Samurai Swords, Smash Up is not going to be your cup of tea. It's short on depth with very limited decision-making. I have similar tastes in gaming - Dudes On A Map is my second-favorite kind of game (the first is dungeon crawls) - and I seriously dislike Smash Up.

To expand, Smash Up feels like you're always at the mercy of your last draw. Some combinations work; others are utterly worthless. The concept was brilliant, but I don't think there was a way to make the execution work. There's a continual beat-up-the-boss beatdown that can make the game drag out forever, especially with four people, and the complete unpredictability means that it's nearly impossible to plan ahead.

I really recommend you pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
petrolito wrote:
Hi guys,

I love Smash Up. It is one of my favourite games.

I hate Smash Up at 4 players. Hard pass on the 4 players. Three is fine. 2 is fantastic. 4 is a no go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
petrolito petrolito
Spain
Alaska
flag msg tools
josefsallen wrote:
[q="petrolito"]Hi guys,

If you're already at gateway level, having played games like Ticket to Ride and Pandemic, I would recommend that you get a more complex game. Even though I'm not a big fan of it either, I think Small World would offer some of the same general idea (mixing fantasy abilities together) I think the gameplay is less tedious. It's more confrontational, but that sounds like your group would do fine with it.

If you've played Small World, then I can't think of any reason to get Smash Up as a more complex game. Instead look towards Blood Rage for conflict, or a Feast for Odin for more of a euro-style. I think they are pretty thematic for roll players while still having nice bones.

Yeah. I have more serious games like Marco Polo, Goa, Stone Age... etc. I also posses some filler games like coloretto, Dungeon raiders and those.

Thing is that I have the chance to get that game in Spanish (It's quite expensive compared with the english one. 27€ new just base game, and 14€ more awesome level 9000). I had an eye on it time ago, but I don't know if I should keep the money and invest it in a different game.

I am not looking for a medium-heavy game (like feast for odin, agricola or those). The same guy also offered to me the "Drakon" game for 20€. In the bgg ranking it is way below of "Smash up", but right now I am not sure what to do. xD.

I'm in the limit of my boardgame library (I posses like 50/60 boardgames). I just want to stop buying new games, but that f***ng Smash up box looks amazing artistically. I am feeling the completist syndrome xD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Smash Up is one of those games that has a definite learning curve. The basic mechanics are simple and easy to learn but, because of all of the different faction abilities, learning how to play the game well takes practice. This is a game where experienced players will generally beat new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Rouser
United States
Johnstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just piling on at this point, but I would only get it at a much lower price. Maybe $1, and that would be for th sleeves if they are good sleeves. Personal dislike of the game aside, like others have said it lacks depth and can drag on. If I was asked to play at a game night, I would watch another game and wait for the next game of something else to start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Press PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, Smash Up is a filler that goes on too long. If it were shorter, it would be only OK. It would get old fast because it is very repetitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.