Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Fisher
United States
Rochester
New York (NY)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am confused by the vice presidential debate rules (10.2), on page 9 of the rule book (version 1.0). Quoting from the first paragraph, three options seem to be offered:

(1.) "...rolling two dice and receive the lower value rolled to generate Campaign Finance funds that turn."

(2.) "With its marker receiving partial preparation, roll only one die..."

(3.) "...with full preparation roll two dice but use the higher value rolled."

It seems, with no preparation at all, one must choose option (1.) by default. But, to me, (1.) seems superior to (2.). Why bother preparing partially, and rolling one die, if you can roll two dice by not preparing at all?

On the Player Aid Mat, though, only two options seem available:

(A.) Rolling two dice for full preparation using the higher value.

(B.) Rolling one die for partial preparation.

There is no option for 'no preparation' shown on the Player Aid Mat.

I always prepare for the debates at least partially, and have been playing according to the player aid map, rolling two dice for full preparation, and rolling one die for partial preparation.

Can someone please explain what is correct? Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
1) is inferior to 2). Rolling a second die, and using it if and only if it is lower, is worse than just using the first roll.

The rules are correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Fisher
United States
Rochester
New York (NY)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dirubin wrote:
1) is inferior to 2). Rolling a second die, and using it if and only if it is lower, is worse than just using the first roll.

The rules are correct.

I see what you're saying. My only defence is that I've always had poor math logic. Plus, the Mad Cow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
But your avatar has dice. And a spectrum. And an Escherite twisting of reality. It all adds up to math geekiness.

You, sir, are an imposter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Fisher
United States
Rochester
New York (NY)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dirubin wrote:
But your avatar has dice. And a spectrum. And an Escherite twisting of reality. It all adds up to math geekiness.

You, sir, are an imposter.

You have uncovered my ruse. Can you keep it a secret?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.