GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I can't find this in the FAQ, rules, or in multiple thread searches. Maybe I just used wrong terms.

1. What if a player intends to use a card half that does "attack 4" and nothing else (or plays the top half as "attack 2"). However, they are melee, and all enemies are far away. Is this still counted as legally playing half the card, even though it did nothing? (I think you can ignore positive effects so this would be yes.) Do you still draw an attack modifier? (I couldn't find an answer to this).

2. What if a monster is in the same situation? I assume the answer would be the same, but does IT draw an attack modifier if it is supposed to attack but all enemies are out of range?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't draw an attack modifier card if you aren't making an attack. Neither do the monsters.

You HAVE to play a top card and bottom card. So you can use a bottom as a Move 2 and not move, or a top as an Attack 2 and not attack. BUT if you have an Attack4/2XP card - you would only get the XP if you actually attacked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Thane
England
Brough
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Up the Tigers
mbmbmbmbmb
As there is no valid melee target you are effectively "choosing" not to play the ability and so this from page 1 on the FAQ applies

Quote:
Can I choose to not perform specific parts of an action?
You can choose not perform any or all parts of an action if you want, such that you could discard a card and not use it at all. You cannot change the order of the abilities in the action, though, and you do have to perform any part of the action that would have a negative effect on yourself or your allies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. I wanted to make sure monsters didn't auto-trigger an attack modifier somehow since I'm still wrapping my head around the turn sequence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Druckenmiller
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
Goalie Extraordinaire
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be clear, your wording and thinking that you may still draw a modifier even if you're not going to be actually attacking anything makes me feel like you're only drawing 1 modifer per action. If you (or a monster) plays an action that will attack multiple enemies, you draw a modifier for each target it's attacking.

That's why if you use a melee action with no enemies in melee range you're not drawing a modifier. You draw one every time you target an enemy for an attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.