BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Advice on painting MDF Arkham Horror LCG box rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Richards
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
So I designed and built myself a storage box for the Arkham Horror card game. It's basically an inner box of 3 rows, each 3" wide (designed to fit UltraPro Toploader sleeved separator cards), with adjustable dividers for organization, and an outer "lid" box that slides over the inner. I actually made two boxes - one out of Baltic birch, and one out of mdf. The baltic birch is in the middle of being stained, before finishing with Danish Oil and poly, but I am looking for advice on painting and finishing the mdf one. Should I prime it first? I'm thinking maybe spray a base coat (Rustoleum 2X maybe), and then use acrylic paint to hand brush the carvings, but I also know that mdf does not like water, and I've never painted mdf before. I have the box sanded to 220 and ready for finishing, but I'm not sure how best to approach it. Appreciate any advice, and all ideas welcome.

This is the outer box. I have carved designs on the top and side that I would like to make stand out

This is the inner box - 3 rows of storage, with removable dividers

This is the bottom of the box. Again, I would love to make the carvings stand out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
flag msg tools
I would imagine that after painting the mdf it will have a sandpaper texture. If it were me I would prime it first. After the primer is totally dry it could then be sanded (lightly) back to the silky texture you desire. It would then be ready for a paint finish.

Really cool box btw!

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Testing is always a good idea. Get some scraps and see how they handle priming and painting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Smith

Cedar Rapids
Iowa
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll definitely want to prime it first, and since you've already sanded it to 220, you should be OK. The biggest thing is to use really light coats. If you have to do 2 or three light coats, you'll be better off than if you tried to cover it all in a single coat. Resist the urge to do it all in one. Once the prime is done, you'll be able to tell if it raised the grain, it probably won't, but if it does, I'd use some steel wool (000 or 0000) to remove the raising.

Rustoleum is what I use for most things, so that shouldn't be a problem.

The best thing to know about spray paint is that you can always add a second coat, it's really hard to take the paint off. So, lots of light coats is key.

Oh, and nice box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gray
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We get the students at school to brush on a watered down (50/50) mix of PVA and water, especially on edge grain and areas that have been sanded already, to seal the surface.

Generally we tell them to only sand the bits they really need to, on MDF - The outer layers are a little denser than the core due to the manufacturing process. A good percentage of the outer layer is the bonding resin and sanding breaks through this to the more absorbent inner layers.

Once sealed with the PVA de-nib it with wire wool, prime and paint.

MDF is great to work with right up until you want to finish it, and then the work increases. That said, once finished well it is very nice.

Spraying is a matter of building many light coats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had better luck w/oil based primers than water based.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.