Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Leaving Earth» Forums » General

Subject: Anyone else feel bad when they send astronauts to their certain death? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My last 3 missions were land on mars, set up an outpost, and Man to mars and back, so I was going to send an astronaut there, have him stay a year, then bring him back.

Unfortunately, on the way there the first time, the ion thruster blew up. Welp, out of time now to bring him back. So now I basically had to start over, and set it up so that he hopefully landed and lived a year for the outpost (which he did) but I failed the man on the moon.

I had to succeed in at least those 2 to win, so I won, but I still felt bad that I basically sent a man to his death with no way home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ B
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
Even the President, at one time, had to prepare for that reality:
https://www.archives.gov/files/presidential-libraries/events...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Matz
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleep better when I drop everything and turn my game into a rescue mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boots
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So in Kerbal Space Program killing my Kerbonauts was anathema to me - I'd always, always rescue them if I couldn't revert-to-launch and start the mission over. I never had the guts to turn off the quickload function even if it was more realistic, and even if I built an LES into the rocket I'd never use it.

You can see one of my more ridiculous rescue attemtps in that game here.

But in Leaving Earth I don't mind so much - I killed two Cosmonauts last night in a solo game without batting an eyelid. The inability to save and load makes me less funny about it, somehow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sending them to certain death--yes. Like sending them with enough supplies to establish a station on Venus, but not bring them home? Sometimes you get lucky and supplies are available! I try to survey first, rather than hope.

Sometimes I save those types of missions for the end of the game, which really feels like cheating.

If a rocket blows up, I still feel bad, but I don't look at that as "certain death".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd never send an astronaut to a real certain death as in 'get there, starve there' because I did not send enough supplies. However, I am okay with not getting everyone back by the end of the game. The future space program can take care of their safety...
Also, sometimes you have to risk their lives. Maybe you cannot afford to fully test Re-Entry before trying to achieve Man In Space? Might be he dies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daddiodaddio wrote:
I sleep better when I drop everything and turn my game into a rescue mission.

Matt Damon approves this message!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just bring a penalty of no VPs from associated mission when an astronaut dies off because of starvation or a direct suicide. Sending them to a risky environment should not be considered a crime though (e.g. sending to unrevealed Mars in hope of finding supplies, sending to risky aerobrakes with knowledge that Major failure happens often, frying in Jupiter's radiation belts etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you really feel bad about it, you can roleplay as the Soviets
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Scheiderich
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup! First game where Yuri Gagarin was abandoned on the Moon (not me BTW), opponent repeated at Mars but left enough supplies to last out the game...

Honestly, I think the game may need some sliding scale of VP damage for dead astronauts. But it has to separated by risk: sent to certain death, or riskier adventure e.g. not using Aldrin when Rad risk is high vs. "I did all I could but failed a die roll in Jupiter orbit"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.