Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
34 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: So would anyone want to buy an expansion containing miniatures for all the monsters? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just wondering if there would be an audience for this. There's around 236 monster standees in the box, which seems like an impractical amount of miniatures, but it occurred to me the average CoolMiniOrNot Kickstarter game seems to include about 100 miniatures for $100.

So if the average mini is $1, would a $250 miniatures expansion for Gloomhaven seem like a good buy?

(I know that some people have been planning to use Reaper Bones or other similar minis for GH, but I'd like to have an official set that reflects the artwork in the game, especially for the more esoteric creatures like the Inox).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Szczepanski
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think most people rather buy another 4-5 games. It would be cool to maybe have miniatures for the bosses though. That seems more reasonable.

But mostly I would really like an option for really high quality metal heroes. I realize that will never happen but while we're dreaming...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mb
not a chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Sewell
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
msg tools
One Ring to Rule Them All
badge
I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass.
mbmbmbmbmb
P0isson wrote:
I think most people rather buy another 4-5 games. It would be cool to maybe have miniatures for the bosses though. That seems more reasonable.

But mostly I would really like an option for really high quality metal heroes. I realize that will never happen but while we're dreaming...

Boss minis sounds like a kinda cool idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Baker
Canada
Taber
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Storage for the standees already requires some time finding what you need. I can't imagine it would be worth it to have to dig through hundreds of minis to find the ones you need.

I feel like I would buy nearly anything Isaac put out for gloomhaven, but I would pass on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a heartbeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would seriously consider it, but it would not be an automatic decision. It would really depend on price/value, AND how useful and compatible would the minis be with other games I have and play.

Some of what would sway me away from any miniatures for Gloomhavun is that when I have miniatures, I intend to paint them. I like that the standees are ready to go and rich in their theme-iness. I have more miniatures already than I will probably be able to paint in a lifetime, so in this manner, Gloomhaven is a real hit because it means I'm just playing it immediately and having fun doing it. As much as a like miniatures, and I like them a lot, I delay playing games with miniatures because I feel compelled to paint them before I start playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've realized with this game I like standees better thanminis for monsters. So much easier to identify
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not even a little bit. I'm happy painting 17 minis, but 240? No way. And how would you represent the number corresponding to the damage sleeve?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Laurin
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, not even just for bosses. I'm having enough storage problems with this game as it is (I'm finally 95% complete on organising the box)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Nope.

Too much storage, too much hassle picking them from the storage solution for each scenario,

I've got tons of minis, I'm only looking to add more if they're really really nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No thanks. I think the standees are perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never underestimate the power of miniatures among Ameritrash players. My group is actually un-enthused by the standees for monsters. The board is bland enough as it is, cardboard standees aren't helping. Figures would go a long way...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomi Mononen
Finland
Kuopio
Pohjois-Savo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. The box takes enough space as it is. No need for useless minis. Too many games are already full of those
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. There's a fair amount I could proxy from other games if I was interested, but that would require both numbering and having things to attach to the bases for elites.

Personally, and I know someone else brought this up in another thread, I'd rather have the standees replaced with circular chits with the same art. Why? So that it's much easier to see the monster numbers. Standees when turned have number issues. Standees easily block other standees. And, the numbers are tiny. And, the elite/standard could easily be handled with a white bordered side and yellow bordered side of the chit.

Yeah, it wouldn't look quite as cool. But, it'd definitely make monster automation easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would cost far too much for the amount of extra enjoyment derived. Would much sooner Isaac concentrates on an expansion with extra playable content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Laurin
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VaultBoy wrote:
Nope. There's a fair amount I could proxy from other games if I was interested, but that would require both numbering and having things to attach to the bases for elites.

Personally, and I know someone else brought this up in another thread, I'd rather have the standees replaced with circular chits with the same art. Why? So that it's much easier to see the monster numbers. Standees when turned have number issues. Standees easily block other standees. And, the numbers are tiny. And, the elite/standard could easily be handled with a white bordered side and yellow bordered side of the chit.

Yeah, it wouldn't look quite as cool. But, it'd definitely make monster automation easier.

This I would use. It seems like it would be feasible to roll your own, too:

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/parts/token-chip-white
https://www.thegamecrafter.com/parts/blank-token-stickers

240 tokens plus enough stickers to print normal and elite sides (not accounting for bosses, which only need one side) would cost $33 plus shipping. Not a trivial cost, but significantly cheaper (and more usable and less space) than minis.

Combine it with Attack Modifiers .... bag? for blingie goodness
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't even go for the minis for the heroes, so I guess no.
Go, Standees! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I wouldn't, there are just too many monsters and I don't enjoy painting so many clones.

An expansion that add endcaps and more overlays just for thematic gain however and some kind of smaller/translucent "premium" standee bases would be an insta-buy for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Seidler
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to buy everything Isaac offers to me these days.... so yeah, I'd buy it. But I won't be sad if this kind of "expansion" never happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marlow
United Kingdom
Bridgwater
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Better quality hero minis definitely, but the monsters just need improved bases to be perfectly OK. There's no way to realistically deal with that number of minis gulp .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biff Drinkwater
msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't think it's a particularly good idea but I guarantee a kickstarter for one would be funded as long as the miniatures were at all interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just thought about it again and under one condition I might be interested (as I constantly forget which monsters have flying abilities):
Magnetic minitures for flying monsters that can hover above the then also magentic board. THAT would be an improvement I could really need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.