Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ondřej Placzek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have decided that I will upgrade my sleeve choice for MK and all of its expansion. So far I've sleeved everything in KMC perfect fits, but after several years of use I think there must be a better choice. The sleeves all have bent corners, they tend to stick to each other, which makes the shuffling less than ideal. They also do not help with solving the different expansion card tints/lengths issue at all.

My first choice was Dragon Shield Matte Black card sleeves (that I use with other games, e.g. Epic Card Game, and with which I have no problem at all), but once I test-sleeved one MK deck, I found that the textured card stock used in MK combines with the matte texture of the sleeves which leads to the cards feeling too rough and quite uncomfortable for shuffling. Again, with other games (that use smooth card stock) I have not encountered this problem.

So, here is my question - do you think I'll do better with other brand of matte sleeves, namely KMC hyper matts? I've heard many good things said about those. If there is anyone who does use this brand for his or her MK collection, does the texture cause issues similar to those I described earlier?

If that's not the case, would it be a bad idea to get the clear version of KMC hyper matts? I realize those won't help with the different backs, but I quite like the original MK artwork on the back of the cards and I'm not entirely convinced I'm willing to trade that away.

And lastly, if none of my above mentioned choices are a good idea, should I just give up, buy the KMC perfect fits again and resleeve everything or is there a better choice?

Thank you in advance for your replies and opinions. Have a great day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Mage Knight in Perfect fits too. I don't like it.
I sleeved Star Trek Frontiers in Fantasy Flight Silver sleeves and find it to be just right (for me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George I.
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm using the Fantasy Flight "Standard" size (Grey). Very sturdy, stellar quality, keep my cards safe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelika Fröhlich
Austria
Tulln an der Donau
Niederösterreich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm using UltraPro RED. They are fitting perfect and the quality is great!

But wait, I have the german version, maybe there is something different to the english version??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
Dragon Shields CLEAR are the way to go. Why ruin the awesome art.. there is no need for opaques. Dragon Shields are the clear winner imo for best card sleeves you can get. It really is no contest.

There are small colour variances in the backs across expansions, this is a common problem in all wizkidz games... so I can see why an OCD gamer might want opaques, but it is so minor I think the aesthetic ruin of making the table looks lame would not be worth it.

So go clear.

If you do go opaques then Dragon Shields and a few different boxes.

Gold, Silver for Unit Offers and then I would probably go a "copper" for action cards and spells to keep the metal theme, otherwise red (crimson is to bright imo)

RED
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max M.
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Ultra Pro Matte clear for everything except units.

For units I used: Ultra Pro matte black and yellow (for regular / elite units).

I am very satisfied with my choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nestor Ivanor
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the ultra pro standard clear. I like them. Never had a problem with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter McCormick
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing beats these for this card size:

http://kmcsleeves.com/gallery/KMCHyperClear.jpg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SkywalterDBZ wrote:
Nothing beats these for this card size:

http://kmcsleeves.com/gallery/KMCHyperClear.jpg
+1.

Dragon Shields are widely praised, but personally, I've had a bad experience with them:
They develop 'bumps' and dents over time making it look as if you'd marked the sleeves. That's completely inacceptible to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Boon
Netherlands
Berkel en Rodenrijs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a stupid question and out of curiousity , but what side do you guys use for the front/back of cards, using matte sleeves? The ones I use (dragon shield) have a matte and a smooth side; I use the smooth for the front and the matte side for the back... modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Rob
msg tools
KMC 100 pochettes Card Barrier Perfect Size Soft Sleeves, 3 Packs/Total 300 pochettes [Komainu-Dou Original Package]

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NU5F7U0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_VGp1...

For the price, these have been absolutely perfect for me. I sleeve all MK cards in them and keep them all in card stock card boxes you can download and print from the Files section here on BGG. (Note: I ordered 2 times because 300 wasn't enough.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondřej Placzek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the answers. After a lot of thinking and considering the options, I've decided for the KMC hyper matt clears. Yesterday I played first game with the new sleeves and I can already say I'm pretty happy with my choice. The shuffle feel is amazing and it seems unlikely the sleeves are going to get dirty and/or sticky any time soon.

I even considered double-sleeving (because the top of the card is not protected enough for my liking) but the thickness of the result discouraged me.

Again, thanks to you all and to anyone who stumbles upon this thread with a similar question in mind: go with KMC hyper matt clear sleeves. You won't regret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludwig
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ordered 'Premium Card Sleeves' from docsmagic.de. They measure 66 x 91 mm (so perfect for 63,5 x 88mmm cards). I think they feel just fine and the fit is quite nice with just minimal standover at the top. They sell at 15 Euros for 500 pieces. Order via Amazon was fast.

Could be an affordable alternative to fellow German / EU players of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
Blue-blooded lizards
badge
chomping your fingers
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNimral wrote:
I've decided for the KMC hyper matt clears. Yesterday I played first game with the new sleeves and I can already say I'm pretty happy with my choice. The shuffle feel is amazing and it seems unlikely the sleeves are going to get dirty and/or sticky any time soon.

Again, thanks to you all and to anyone who stumbles upon this thread with a similar question in mind: go with KMC hyper matt clear sleeves. You won't regret

As someone researching sleeves right now, I want to note for other readers that there has been a lot of discussion in the Magic community about the decline in the quality of KMC hyper mats.

Just google "reddit decline kmc sleeves" and you will find plenty of discussion.

Here is a video of someone demonstrating recent KMC quality problems

Edit: this video is more comprehensive and reverses this reviewer's previous high regard for Hyper Mats, due to the decline in quality

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Enter something witty here
badge
These aren't really my legs
mbmbmbmbmb
manadrainer wrote:
I use Ultra Pro Matte clear for everything except units.

For units I used: Ultra Pro matte black and yellow (for regular / elite units).

I am very satisfied with my choice.

I've been using Ultra Pro Matte Black for all cards except units. For Units I've been using Ultra Pro Matte Green and Blue. These were the sleeves I had on hand, tried them out and liked them with MK so I sleeved the rest of the MK cards. Perfect size, nice quality and good for shuffling. Do kind of wish I had clear backings but again, matte black/green/blue is what I had on hand and it works so no sense in changing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Batista
United Kingdom
Brighton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i use a mix (for now) of ultimate guard supreme transparent and fantasy flight regular transparent. the ultimate guard sleeves are a super snug fit and they feel amazing. Highly recommend. got the FF ones to try them out and they don't feel as nice. Currently they cover my tactics my regular unit cards and some of the player aid cards. Will replace them at least on all playable cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.