Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First game for all: I was the Central Powers and could not get a German Build Army for the first three turns when they're much needed to occupy Objectives. I did not draft, figuring it was a long game and I would need every card. That was probably a mistake. I used strong Economic Warfare as first two of four plays to keep Brits from getting their fingers on The Girls With the Yellow Hands and Commonwealth Support. They got both anyway in the first four turns and Grand Fleet too. I was doomed. But it was so fun I soldiered on.

I didn't prepare enough cards (foolishly imagining it was better to keep my options open by keeping them in Hand) and by 1917 was too beaten down to snap to the fact that I could use Austrians to attack the British Army in Western Germany. In historical terms that situation is so far out of bounds it never occurred to me to use it in the game, until it was too late.

It does seem the German navy is much weaker in this game than was its historical counterpart. I would start a German Navy in the North Sea just to make possible what Britons widely feared: a German invasion.

Also, Russia starts with one army while Austria-Hungary starts with two armies? I would start Russian Army in Petrograd. It was the capital, not Moscow.

Finally, the Objectives make southeast Europe more important than it actually was. To balance things out, I'd give each side 4 more VP:

After all, was Serbia as valuable as Berlin or London?

Berlin: 2 VP
Western Germany: 3 VP
East Prussia: 2 VP
London: 2 VP
Paris: 2 VP
Ukraine: 1 VP
Petrograd: 1 VP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Win or lose, it's such a fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnimalMother wrote:
Russia starts with one army while Austria-Hungary starts with two armies?

Russia also starts with two Armies, one in Moscow and one in Serbia.

Both teams start with the same number of objectives occupied (4 vs 4).

In the early game, I believe that occupying free objectives is crucial. They're just lying there open for grabs... if you wait, it will be immensely more difficult later to remove your opponents (who will have had time to prepare their defenses) and build there yourself.
TL;DR: I don't think you should be afraid of drafting at the beginning, especially so with the Central Powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.