mbmbmbmbmb

Rob Masters
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
and I were teaching my mother The Gallerist. She's pretty chuffed that we both have artwork in it, and was eager to try it, even though it's a pretty weighty game.

She got right into it. Towards the endgame she was pushing her pawn around, refusing to go anywhere she'd give us a kick-out action.

"I'm going to the International Market!" she said

"You can't go there, " Rob said reasonably. " You don't have anything in your gallery. You've got a bunch of people walking around looking at your blank walls!" (by this stage only the top section had anything left empty)

"And calling it Art." I added.

This struck us all as extremely funny so I thought I'd share it with you.

In the end, she beat the pants off us both. I'm so proud, she's over 70 and not much into boardgames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love example like this of finding theme in unexpected places when playing games.

I played the Gallerist last night and one player forgot to pay for the digital art that he purchased. I had to admonish him that "You can't just download it for free and pirate it! You have to support the art community and actually pay for art!"

But then it turned out that it was actually a statue and not digital art... and we decided he had been downloading the specs and 3D printing the sculpture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Myers
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
http://playtmg.com/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot what type of art, but the Pink Bunny always brings up an awkward conversation when playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cabral
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"The Screamer" always starts awkward conversations with new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bogusgig wrote:
I forgot what type of art, but the Pink Bunny always brings up an awkward conversation when playing.
My friends Amanda and Katie are always happy when the pink bunny appears and consider it sad if it doesn't show up in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia Smith
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Hi, I'm leeece on yucata.de
badge
Maybe we can grab a game sometime?
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone who's suffered heartburn empathises with The Screamer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leece wrote:

Rob Masters
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
and I were teaching my mother The Gallerist. She's pretty chuffed that we both have artwork in it, and was eager to try it, even though it's a pretty weighty game.

She got right into it. Towards the endgame she was pushing her pawn around, refusing to go anywhere she'd give us a kick-out action.

"I'm going to the International Market!" she said

"You can't go there, " Rob said reasonably. " You don't have anything in your gallery. You've got a bunch of people walking around looking at your blank walls!" (by this stage only the top section had anything left empty)

"And calling it Art." I added.

This struck us all as extremely funny so I thought I'd share it with you.

In the end, she beat the pants off us both. I'm so proud, she's over 70 and not much into boardgames.

That's awesome you got your 70 year old mother to play with you. You may have been joking w/her about not being able to go to the market. But if you weren't...she had the rule right! She could go to the international market even without anything in her gallery. As long as she had sold that kind of art (which at end-game I assume she had), she could have picked up a token from that art's row if she met the lobby requirements (and had the assistant to place).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia Smith
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Hi, I'm leeece on yucata.de
badge
Maybe we can grab a game sometime?
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to know, she won anyway!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuelle S
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Bogusgig wrote:
My friends Amanda and Katie are always happy when the pink bunny appears and consider it sad if it doesn't show up in the game.

Same here! In todays play the bunny was on the top of the pile, but we had put the time in the wrong side, so we reversed the pile and it was at the bottom, so sad :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.