Vast: The Crystal Caverns» Forums » Rules

Subject: Confusion about when the Thief's turn ends. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan C
msg tools
The instructions say this about when the Thief's turn ends:

Quote:
Your turn ends when you run out of Movement or Action cubes, or if you choose to do nothing else.

Am I interpreting this right? If the thief runs out of movement his turn is over, even if he still has action cubes, and vice versa? The sentence is pretty unambiguous about it, but it seems like such a strange rule I wonder if I'm somehow reading it wrong or if there's a typo. I'd have expected the rule to be "when you run out of Movement and Action cubes".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not phrased in the best way but the intention is certainly what you state. English can be ambiguous in how "or" is used, it's not always in the strictly logical sense.

Think of it as, "... when you don't have any Movement cubes or any Action cubes left."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
The intention is that the Thief's turn ends when there's nothing left he can do or nothing left wants to do.

He can still move even if all actions have been spent, and he can still use actions even if he's out of movement. There's no strict end to the turn when any given stat runs out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan C
msg tools
Hey thanks guys for the quick response. I'm actually back now with a very similar question. I can pretty much guess the answer from your last responses but I want to be sure. So I'm playing Solo Knight tonight and reading the Alone in the Dark card with the Knight effect:

Quote:
The number of Hero cubes you have available to place or have placed.

So is this saying to use the combined total of Hero cubes you have available to place or have placed (ie: Cave will likely just get more tiles as you level up), or is it saying to use the max of the two categories; Hero Cubes you have available, or Hero Cubes you have placed. (ie: the best way to minimize cave tiles is to use half your hero cubes). Going to assume it's the former answer based on my previous question, but figured I'd at least ask. At least this time I can see an argument for both. One makes you strategize how many cubes to use vs. not, while one makes the cave stronger in direct relation to yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sage Of The WIse wrote:
Hey thanks guys for the quick response. I'm actually back now with a very similar question. I can pretty much guess the answer from your last responses but I want to be sure. So I'm playing Solo Knight tonight and reading the Alone in the Dark card with the Knight effect:

Quote:
The number of Hero cubes you have available to place or have placed.

So is this saying to use the combined total of Hero cubes you have available to place or have placed (ie: Cave will likely just get more tiles as you level up), or is it saying to use the max of the two categories; Hero Cubes you have available, or Hero Cubes you have placed. (ie: the best way to minimize cave tiles is to use half your hero cubes). Going to assume it's the former answer based on my previous question, but figured I'd at least ask. At least this time I can see an argument for both. One makes you strategize how many cubes to use vs. not, while one makes the cave stronger in direct relation to yourself.
Alone in the Dark uses the combined total, so even if you can't (or don't want to) use all of your available cubes in a turn, they still count toward the number of tiles you place.

Another way to look at, is that the value is equal to 7 minus the number of cubes still on the Grit chart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.