Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had Rebel Raiders on the game table the last couple weeks, and I just now saw some text in the playbook that makes me question whether I have been using the Grant card #8 correctly:

Card detail text: Union may re-roll one die in one Land Combat each turn (e.g. a Union or Confederate Assault across a blue or red line). Etc..etc.

I had always assumed that this meant the Union could reroll one of its own dice during assault (or counterattack) resolution. I did not ever understand it to mean I could make the Confed player re-roll one of his dice. Nevertheless, page 26 of the playbook has me thinking I've got it all wrong. In the example of a Confed counterattack on Nashville, part of the description reads:

But wait… card #8, Grant Takes Command, has not been
used for the August 1862 Turn. The Union player could force
a re-roll of the South’s high die (the 5) or he could re-roll his
own shabby roll of 2. The Union player elects to reroll his own
die and it is a 6+1 for a high Union Assault die roll of 7.

So, even though the Union player chooses to reroll his own die in the example, it sounds like I have been reading/interpreting this card incorrectly all this time. ??? Agree? Disagree?

I'm not knocking the playbook; there are many good in-game examples such as this one... But I do think the wording on the card could have been a little more specific in this case. Are there other "gotcha" cards in the decks that might be easily misinterpreted such as this one? Uggh! wow

Still enjoying this game. Thanks, Designers and GMT!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two weeks later...<sound of crickets chirping> snore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Curtiss
United States
Dothan
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel your pain. A lot of these rules seem needlessly confusing, and the examples in the playbook sometimes seem to add to or modify rules in the rulebook.

Another recent thread discusses whether or not ships shielded from a battery can participate in combat against ships. The playbook example shows "No", but the rulebook does not cover that specific situation, or even mention the possibility in the ships vs ship & batteries section. The rules do state that in ship vs battery combat, shielded ships may not fire.

The designer and developer have not weighed in on this as far as I know, but this makes me want to check further here and on consimworld.

EDIT: I did the search and in message #813 in the Rebel Raiders folder there, Fred Schacter confirmed that shielded ships may fight enemy ships even though they may not target any battery. There are a lot of answers on the csw site. It is worth a skim!

The Grant card just needs to be taken literally, I suppose. There are other USA cards that only allow reroll of Union dice (cards 4 and 5) and #7 allows the USA player to force the CSA player to reroll one of his dice.

I suppose that no response is everyone's unspoken agreement that this game is fun, balanced, worth playing, and has rules that need to be taken with patience and a sportsmanlike attitude when disagreements happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.