Subject: Frenetic? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Mitchell

Peoria
Illinois
msg tools
mb
My game group of seasoned players was happy to roll dice at start of each round, and then sit there talking for several minutes about how to maximize the dice on the table to produce the most food we'd need for customers.

I know Event cards often add dice. But not always.

Thus, I'm presented with a game that is supposed to be "frenetic" as we serve customers, but we had often already maxed out the food items on the board the minute the round started.

Serving customers then becomes just a 'rote' exercise in picking a customer card and moving food items down on the board in order to serve the meal.

I talked to my group about waiting to put their dice on cards ... waiting for better combinations of dice, waiting for event card-dice to appear ... but you KNOW precisely what meals you will need to serve, the only concern is what ORDER they will come out ... which is not really that big a concern.

What am I missing? I want to like this game more than I did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you only coordinating and talking when the timer is counting down? If not, that is what you are missing. If yes, then reduce the time on the timer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Mitchell

Peoria
Illinois
msg tools
mb
Spielguy wrote:
Are you only coordinating and talking when the timer is counting down? If not, that is what you are missing. If yes, then reduce the time on the timer.

The rules seem to suggest but not clearly state this.

In other words we should roll our dice and then IMMEDIATELY start the timer and flip up customers. Then the dice-use decisions are more rushed and tense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2010 rules in the file section here are very clear:

"Phase 1: Action
The Action phase begins by flipping the red sand timer and drawing the top card of the Customer deck; revealing the Dish to be prepared. Then all players roll their dice and start cooking!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, as soon as you roll the dice you start the timer.

Also, it's rare to have enough dice to max out all needed ingredients. The real-time portion of the game usually involves scrambling to have the right ingredients at the right time to keep filling the orders as they come up. We usually end up with several orders we either can't fill, or decide not to fill to save dice for more valuable orders later in the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.