Balaji Iyengar
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
Valandil (God-friend)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried Le Havre a couple of days back on my iPhone and instantly fell in love with it.

I'm not the biggest Uwe Rosenberg fan, but before trying Le Havre,
I had played Patchwork and it was one of my favorites.
I just realized that Glass Road also was designed by Uwe, and I remember enjoying it thoroughly.

Now lets talk about the disaster.
I wanted to try Agricola. Since I enjoyed 3 of Uwe's games, I presumed that I'd invariably like his most famous game.

It's about $8 on the app store. And boy oh boy.
Talk about micro-management, and milking worker placement to the death.

Now
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
and
Zee Garcia
United States
Homestead
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Board Game Blender!
mbmbmbmbmb
have made fun of Agricola big time. I never realized what they were making fun and fussing over. But
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
has been raving about it. That's why I thought of giving it a shot. BIG MISTAKE. Thank God app store provides a refund for purchases inside 24 hours.

I just realized my likes and dislikes match with Zee. I am ok with abstract games, and I cannot stand super long games.

I would love to know about the experiences of fellow board gamers.
Talk about the times when you've bought a game buying into it's popularity and have instantly regretted the purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Viticulture and Tuscany Essential Editions. I barely saw any negative comments about them and the theme sounded interesting to me. I bought them both and never even finished a game. The rules were incomprehensible to me. I salvaged some of the playing pieces and trashed the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven J
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Several small, previously owned, filler games come to mind... Hanabi, For Sale, Skull, and Timeline: Inventions. Got them to play with the fam but they did not go over well.

They are pretty well liked around these parts but I didn't care for any of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The more you play and watch, the better you'll get at figuring out what you like and which reviewers' tastes align with yours. I really enjoy all of Uwe Rosenberg's games with the glaring exception of Agricola.

Just remember, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they all stink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
Alpha pedant
mbmbmbmbmb
You people making my head spin. Agricola and Viticulture are both great games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goodman
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a comment here, but doesn't Rahdo rave about every game? I don't follow his reviews very much because I watched about 5 and he gets very excited about basically every game. Which is not always a bad thing, but for a reviewer it is. That being said it could just be that the games I saw reviewed by him are very good.

I personally prefer Tom and Zee myself as well. Dice Tower reviews tend to be more critical than other reviewers. Which I think is a good thing. If there is something that will piss off some gamers then they will point it out usually.

It has been a long while since I bought a game and was immediately disappointed by the purchase. Hive was a pretty quick disappointment, but that was a long while back that I purchased that one. I kind of bought it on a whim and everyone I played it with found it frustrating (including myself sometimes).

I find you cannot listen to if reviewers think it is great all the time. First I watch the description of the rules for the game, see if it tickles my fancy, then I see what the reviewers say. Then if I can, I watch another review, and another until I am sure. If I have the chance to play the game first at my local game store which holds events, then I go and play it.

It is a struggle though, and a lesson to be learned when you do it. Sometimes you cannot help it because you cannot get the opportunity to play it in advance. And playing is really how you determine if it is for you. Although there are a lot of games I have picked up lately which I knew from the rule description were right up my alley.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid and Caylus were both instant dislikes for me.
I felt the same about the Agricola app. But at least I didn't spend the money on the actual game. I figure 8 bucks was a lesson learned, which was much better than the $120 or so I spent on two games that I couldn't stand.

It was shortly after this I decided I had a very strong dislike for brain burners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some reviewers only review games they like.

You won't like all the games of a particular designer. And at least you bought the $8 app (and got a refund), rather than the $40 game (and tried to resell it)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:

Hated Argicola, but Viticulture is my #2 GOAT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zac Jensen
United States
Sedro Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rahdo has said a million times between the forums, his personal page here, and one his YouTube videos that he only plays and reviews games that he thinks he will like. He never gives a scathing review because he won't review a game that he knows he will hate. But he does rank Agricola a 9.5 I believe or close to that. And he does have PLENTY of games that he didn't like enough to keep, but generally all the games he takes the time to film have some redeeming qualities and he likes to be positive. If he is totally wrong about a game and ends up hating it, he asks the designer if they want him to still make a video and post it. I'm assuming most of those people would prefer he just didn't make a video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Love le havre and glass road.

Though they are really not the same game, I've come to prefer vinhos deluxe for my heavy game night rather than agricola as it is amazingly heavy yet doesn't feel as punitive as agricola.

Still wouldn't refuse an agricola game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I expected this to be about some game you didn't buy.

Pete (has been there. Many times)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders
I wouldn't necessarily call it regret, as I wanted it based upon a positive initial impression. But it was about 3 years between that initial impression and acquiring it (and subsequently playing it again). I got to know a lot of excellent games during that time, but the sweet memory of that first play of 7 Wonders remained. Though when I finally played it again, the experience was just 'meh'. I held onto it almost soley out of principal, as if I was supposed to enjoy it. I sure wanted to, but then the easy money generated by a quick sale of it assured me that I made the right decision to be rid of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola didn't really work for me either. I'm more towards Tom and Zee's thinking on this one. In fairness I didn't play Agricola enough to actually be any good at it and that could possibly be a factor as well.

They tend to like Caverna more, which I've not tried yet and "seems' to address some of the micro manage issues that put me off Agricola. Hopefully Caverna is more enjoyable for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lucky henry wrote:
Viticulture and Tuscany Essential Editions. I barely saw any negative comments about them and the theme sounded interesting to me. I bought them both and never even finished a game. The rules were incomprehensible to me. I salvaged some of the playing pieces and trashed the rest.

This. Well, I did finish a game (Viticulture Essential Edition), but everyone at the table agreed it was so bad it went straight to the sell pile. Luckily there was enough of a demand to get most of my money back. Phew!

Lots of games that bombed on first play, although I expected to like them (because I bought them):
Inis (ok, I didn't actually buy that one, thank goodness)
Mousquetaires du Roy (couldn't get it on the table after reading (most of) the rules
Parthenon: Rise of the Aegean (bad event = you lose; yay)
Dracula (when I realized that not all Kosmos small box 2-player games are fun)
Travel Blog (Vlaada???)
Bucket Brigade (Reiner???)
Lost Legends
Libertalia (the rest of BGG are smoking crack)
Claustrophobia (where I learned that the chance of me liking a chance is inversely proportional to its use of minis)
Titania (HiG, you betrayed me!)
Talisman (my fault, I could have simply read any reviews)
Pizza Box Baseball (apparently you need to actually like baseball)
Lifeboats (where I learned that chaos as the driving force is not fun)
Age of Mythology (video games do not translate well into movies, nor into boadrgames)
Myserty of The Abbey (where I learned that Faidutti and I are incompatible)
Apples To Apples (just because it's popular, doesn't mean it's good)
Mare Nostrum (fooled me twice; just looks like it should be good)
Praetor (there was some hype; not sure why)
Coup ("look, I can win without looking at my cards!"; haha so funny)
Archipelago (I actually tried a few times, because it seemed so promising)

A lot more, but that's a sampling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe. I cannot fathom what all the fuss is about. The game is a hotch potch of mechanisms from other games and just plods along to the underwhelming conclusion.

I did try to sell this on the Geek market but got nothing but fools trying to mess me about. I might salvage bits for use in other games and trash the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa."
badge
"Say my name"
mbmbmbmbmb
The App Store gives a refund during the first 24h? Apple Store?

Didn't know that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
benjamin CLOVIS
France
flag msg tools
mb
I am still relatively new at the hobby, but I have finally learned that most reviewers are very enthusiastic about a LOT of games, so one has to find the reviewers that gel with you. I, for one, have found that I tend to have very similar tastes to the folks from the Dukes of Dice podcast (I game just a teeny bit below the Sean complexity of games, but above Alex's. And when they both agree on a boardgame, I know I am good to go). I will always look at a Rhado video before buying a game to get a good idea as to how the game plays.
My biggest regret was going to the Brussels festival, and despite having seen all sorts of neat games ended up buying on a whim DogFight WW1 because it was a Martin Wallace game, because it was cheap, because the idea of a short one on one filler game with my son appealed to us. WOW! (please click on the link, because I think you will be surprised to see those kind of grades from Martin Wallace)
I vowed never to buy a game on a whim again, and have, for the most part, followed that advice, . Still sometimes you can't help yourself....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't matter if a reviewer likes or dislikes a game, as long as they give you clear info about what the game is like. Ultimately you should pay attention to what they describe, not to whether they say "I personally liked it" or "I personally disliked it".

I've enjoyably played games based on good informative "negative" reviews and avoided games based on good informative "positive" reviews - in both cases, the reviews served their purpose of informing about the game! Whether the reviewer liked the game or not is ultimately incidental information which doesn't necessarily tell me whether I will enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
I expected this to be about some game you didn't buy.

Pete (has been there. Many times)

I find it hard to believe there are many games that Pete didn't buy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows over Normandie. Punched everything out, looked at all the pieces, started going through the rules, stopped about midway, packed everything up and sold it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blueprints
Imhotep
Impulse
Qwirkle

At the Gates of Loyang - Not a bad game, just not one I enjoyed playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnalyticGamer wrote:
Just a comment here, but doesn't Rahdo rave about every game?

Agricola is one of the games I'm sure he really likes.

For me agricola is the best Rosenberg out there. Viticulture without Tuscany is a bad next step game while it's a nice game with the full board.

Happily for me I play before I buy and besides my early crowd funding mistakes (funding at all thst is) I never had that experience with games I bought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
skutsch wrote:

Hated Argicola, but Viticulture is my #2 GOAT.

Loved Agricola but prefer to leave Viticulture on the shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
asobu wrote:
Scythe. I cannot fathom what all the fuss is about. The game is a hotch potch of mechanisms
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hodgepodge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.