Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: A few questions about Familiars. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bilbo Baggins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I've read the Faq and have been trying to figure out a few things on the Wiki and I'm still kind of confused on how familiars work. I'm specifically asking about the Beastmaster's Wolf and Challara's Brightblaze familiars.

1) Can a Knight use Defend and Oath of Honor on a familiar (that is treated as a figure)? As far as I know familiars are treated as Heroes for targeting only.

2) Does a Bard heal the familiar using Song of Mending? Can he also use Concentration on it?

3) Does it qualify as a Hero in terms of spotting? According to the FAQ a Treasure Hunter doesn't get the +1 damage if he is next to one of these familiars.

(https://boardgamegeek.com/article/14064542#14064542)

Does this also then work for the Beastmaster's Survivalist and Savagery? If the Wolf token is Adjacent to Brightblaze, is he adjacent to a Hero (and vice versa)?

Then is the wolf always attacking an enemy adjacent to a Hero since any enemy he is attacking is adjacent to the wolf itself(giving him the 1 extra Green dice at all times from Savagery)?

Overall I'm very confused as to when the familiars are and are not treated as heroes. I understand they activate differently (1 movement / 1 attack each) but outside of that I seem pretty lost.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sadgit
Germany
flag msg tools
Descent 2nd Edition Community Rules Reference Guide
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Familiars treated as figures/heroes can be targeted or affected by attacks, Monster actions, Hero abilities and feats, hero skills, abilities of items, relics, Search cards and Overlord cards.
2) Song of Mending and Concentration are both hero skills and thus work on familiars treated as heroes/figures.
3) Yes, in RtL monsters spot familiars treated as heroes/figures. As familiars treated as heroes/figures are heroes in respect to hero skills, indeed Delver, Stalker and Savagery behave as if the familiar were a (real) hero. Yes, a wolf with Savagery always gets an additional green die if it attacks an adjacent monster.

You find these answers and many more details on familiars in my CRRG available from here: http://crrg.descent-community.org
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bilbo Baggins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Sadgit wrote:
1) Familiars treated as figures/heroes can be targeted or affected by attacks, Monster actions, Hero abilities and feats, hero skills, abilities of items, relics, Search cards and Overlord cards.
2) Song of Mending and Concentration are both hero skills and thus work on familiars treated as heroes/figures.
3) Yes, in RtL monsters spot familiars treated as heroes/figures. As familiars treated as heroes/figures are heroes in respect to hero skills, indeed Delver, Stalker and Savagery behave as if the familiar were a (real) hero. Yes, a wolf with Savagery always gets an additional green die if it attacks an adjacent monster.

You find these answers and many more details on familiars in my CRRG available from here: http://crrg.descent-community.org

Thank you very much for your response! Reading through the the link now!

I was attempting to use the Steelcaster class's Shield Mage to protect a Summoned Stone and it seems like it works!

pretty neat.

Edit: This doesn't work, look at post below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bilbo Baggins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I think something in the CRRG is wrong about summoned stones (and my previous post about using Shield Mage on it).

The CRRG ( on page 17) states that summoned stones "May be targeted by .... Hero Abilities and Feats..." But if you look below

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/78292-summone...

a response in that thread:

"Since a Summoned Stone is treated as an obstacle and not a hero or monster figure, no abilities applying to heroes or monsters may be used. Thus, it wouldn't be affected by Shadow. However, any ability that allows you to attack through a Summoned Stone, if it's adjacent to a Shadow Dragon, is subject to the Shadow ability (since the hero is the one performing the attack).

The Reanimate is treated as a hero figure, so it would be subject to Shadow.

Thanks,
Justin Kemppainen

Creative Content Developer

Fantasy Flight Games"

Which contradicts the CRRG about summoned stones and makes much more sense to me. For instance you could use the Knight's Oath of Honor on Brightblaze but not on a Summoned Stone.

I'm also assuming that you cannot heal a summoned stone (either directly by targeting it with a skill, or indirectly from something like the Bard's Song of Mending) like you could Brightblaze.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.