Bob Gulotty
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
After some good feedback, we have modified our game play of the WordChanceTM word game and modified the chance card multipliers to lessen the impact of the chance cards and add more strategy.

As before: Each player has 16 letter tiles to make words on a board with 676 spaces.

New: After the placement of a word on the board, the player may choose to accept the score for the word, the number of letters in the word/words created, and end their turn. Or, they may choose to "chance" a chance card that may get them up to 7 times the score for the word. This will lessen the impact and allow the player to execute some strategy to maximize their score.

As before: There are four types of chance cards (50 cards total):

New: Multiplier cards are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and -5. There are only three x-5 cards,5 sets of 0 to 7 cards and 1 extra x5 card.
The same: 4 Bonus word cards, 1 swap tiles card and 1 bankrupt card that is only put in the card deck if there are 3 or more players.

I hope folks will give our game a fresh look.

best regards to all.
Bob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
Life is mostly froth and bubble, Two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own.
badge
YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.
mbmbmbmbmb
On average, drawing a chance card will mean increasing the score by 2.95x, though obviously as more cards are revealed that average will change.

At the start of the game, drawing a chance card will have a 8/44 (18%) chance of making your score worse, 5/44 (11%) chance of no effect, and a 31/44 (70%) chance of scoring at least double points.

The design is skewed so heavily in favour of drawing chance cards that choosing to avoid them will almost certainly mean losing. It becomes a meaningless point of decision, and almost certainly means that games are won and lost based not on the words you spell, but on the random draw.

That said, good on you for being receptive to feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gulotty
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Andrew,

Thanks for your reply.

I had two aims with Wordchance, first to do something different than the currently most popular scrabble like word game, where the strategy is not word building, but word positioning and gimmicky words like Qi and Za and Xi. Using 16 letters to make words and having no multiplier tiles on the board addresses the first aim.

The second aim was to make the game more appealing to those of different word skills. A number of people I know quit playing the popular word game because they were often annihilated by their competition. The goal of the chance cards was to make it so that there was a higher chance of people of lower skill to win. The multipliers still act on the word you make, so the outcome isn't as random as folks here are suggesting.

Imagine your are playing with a younger sibling who averages 5 letter words and you average 8 letter words. By adding the chance cards, the distribution of scores around both folks mean word length will overlap more, such that the younger brother can win occasionally. Since the chance cards just impact the distribution of scores a player gets based on the words they play, I don't agree that the game is simply a game of chance. It is moderated by chance.

I think it was fair to criticize that the game appeared to be dominated by chance when I had the spread in chance card values greater than the typical spread in word lengths played. The spread of score values will be related to the sum of the fractional spread in the word lengths played and the fractional chance card spread. So by reducing the spread in chance card values, I think that the game did become more reasonable.

I did hear a number of good suggestions. But I also heard a bit of sniping. It is interesting to me that people can snipe without actually trying the game?

Probably the biggest contributor to the negative response is that people objected to having chance in the game. I was proposing that players lose sometimes through no fault of their own, so that everyone has more fun.

Overall, as someone new here I say thanks for some good suggestions. We'll see if some version of this game survives.

KAndrw wrote:
On average, drawing a chance card will mean increasing the score by 2.95x, though obviously as more cards are revealed that average will change.

At the start of the game, drawing a chance card will have a 8/44 (18%) chance of making your score worse, 5/44 (11%) chance of no effect, and a 31/44 (70%) chance of scoring at least double points.

The design is skewed so heavily in favour of drawing chance cards that choosing to avoid them will almost certainly mean losing. It becomes a meaningless point of decision, and almost certainly means that games are won and lost based not on the words you spell, but on the random draw.

That said, good on you for being receptive to feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.