Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
38 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: 20-sided dice with each face showing three numbers, from one to six rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: hivemind [+] [View All]
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
We stopped in a randomly-chosen curry stall in Osaka on Sunday, and I noticed a die in the shop of a kind I haven't seen before.

I'm pretty sure it had 20 faces, based on the fact that five triangular faces came to a point as in a regular icosahedron.

Each face had three numbers on it, from one to six, with no number being repeated on a given face, and the numbers appearing in numerical order in the order top - left - right for each triangle.

Face 1, 2, 3 was opposite face 4, 5, 6.

Does anyone know what such a die can be used for? The owner of the stall let me have a look at the die but was obviously too busy to chat and apparently not interested in explaining its origin.

EDIT: The image kindly linked by Laissez K:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting and strange!

Benkyo wrote:
I'm pretty sure it had 20 faces, based on the fact that five triangular faces came to a point as in a regular icosahedron.

Each face had three numbers on it, from one to six, with no number being repeated on a given face, and the numbers appearing in numerical order in the order top - left - right for each triangle.

Face 1, 2, 3 was opposite face 4, 5, 6.

I.e. opposite faces came in 3 types of pairs, like this: ?
123 456
234 561
345 612

If so, it seems strange since 20 is not evenly divisible by 6, so not all types of pairs would occur equally frequently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
No worry, there are exactly 20 combinations of 3 different numbers from 1 to 6
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jujulautre wrote:
No worry, there are exactly 20 combinations of 3 different numbers from 1 to 6

Agreed if it includes all combinations.

I (probably incorrectly) interpreted "the numbers appearing in numerical order" to mean the 6 gapless sequences 123, 234, 345, 456, 561, 612. But in hindsight your interpretation is probably what was intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, jujulautre has it right.

So each number appears 10 times, giving a 50% chance of a given number appearing on any one roll.

Lowest total for a face is 6 and highest total is 15, but I can't imagine any situation in which adding up the numbers would be desirable...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice!

I want one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiji Kobayashi
Japan
flag msg tools
Is this the d20 in question?

http://arisuabu.exblog.jp/24696599/

Sadly, the blog doesn't say what it's used for - like the OP, it's a "something I found" thingy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmb
Is there some kind of lottery system that requires three different numbers between 1 and 6?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
Lowest total for a face is 6 and highest total is 15, but I can't imagine any situation in which adding up the numbers would be desirable...

Fast-rolling of attributes for D&D characters (NPCs, taking the middle of the bell-curve) comes to mind, but that's a pretty narrow situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I doubt it.
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I don't owe you my trust. You owe me your proof.
badge
This is my incredulous face.
mbmbmb
I'd not use this for D&D characters (well, not PCs, anyway) or lottery, but you could totally design a combat system around this. Silent Death: The Next Millennium Deluxe Edition uses a single roll (granted with multiple dice) to generate an entire combat exchange (hits and damage). Imagine rolling a single die and being able to figure out hit, damage, and possibly even criticals...

I'd totally use it for this purpose, personally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't even imagine what such a die would be used for, but it is undeniably cool and unique.

I'm subscribed to this to see if anyone comes up with any interesting uses or knows of any.

I'm also curious if there exists a similar die such a d6 with every combination of 2 numbers out of 1-4. (1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 2-3, 2-4, 3-4)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It could be used for some sort of look up tables. The first number could be a category, the second a subcategory, the third as a result. The first category could be a common, the second less common, third rare, fourth ultra rare. It would be a lot quicker than rolling 3 times. So it could basically be a d216, except it does not allow for duplicate numbers like 1 1 2. Maybe the lack of duplicates makes for a lock out mechanism.

Or maybe it is just a novelty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's certainly a way to rather directly select 3 of 6 items uniformly randomly. That's the most obvious natural use which I can see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Laissez K wrote:
Is this the d20 in question?

http://arisuabu.exblog.jp/24696599/

Yes, almost exactly the same, though I think the die I saw was slightly better-looking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that comes under the heading of cool, I want one. No use for it whatsoever. But cool, I want one.

Google "Go First Dice" for another set of "cool, I want a set" of dice. Except I have a set. (Somewhere, not actually sure where.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
It's certainly a way to rather directly select 3 of 6 items uniformly randomly. That's the most obvious natural use which I can see.

I can see how it would be quite efficient at doing exactly that、and it's the only real use I can imagine for it. It's very niche though - I can't think of any direct applications. I'd love to know why it was made.

In a period of time after Lost Legion and Krang were released, but before Shades of Tezla, if I had ever wanted to play a solo game of Mage Knight while controlling three characters (this never happened, and never will - the idea scares me), I could have used this die to randomly pick the three characters instead of chucking six tokens, for instance.

Clearly I don't play enough games involving dice.

I also sort of like the idea of weighted odds for 1-4 (ten 1s, six 2s, three 3s, and one 4), 2-5 (four 2s, six 3s, six 4s, four 5s), or 3-6 (one 3, three 4s, six 5s, ten 6s), but again a pretty limited use.

Interactions between faces? Then orientation of each face comes into play, which is difficult to visualise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
RingelTree wrote:
Nice!

I want one.

Yeah. Put me on the list as well. In fact, I'd like to have six; if I can find a use for it, I'd probably find out that I'll want more than one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Canada
GTA
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whymme wrote:
RingelTree wrote:
Nice!

I want one.

Yeah. Put me on the list as well. In fact, I'd like to have six; if I can find a use for it, I'd probably find out that I'll want more than one.

You should also get a seventh to roll to pick which three of your six you'll roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I find a local source of the dice, I could sell them at cost, but postage from Japan probably isn't worth it. That's not really the purpose of this thread though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll join the I want 10 or so of those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paradox Games
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
A great BGG contest would to be to design a P&P game based on this die.

Maybe it could be a game where people take a number and you roll for your number, like a roulette type game but with 1:2 odds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paradox Games
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
remember that, when making tables, the first number is never greater than 4, the middle number never a 1 or 6, and the third number never less than 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If used for look up tables as I mentioned above, then it really only gives a false sense of table selection since it is still only a d20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I have eaten some Netrunner counters and a treasure token from Nemo's War
mbmbmbmbmb
It's 6C3 = (6x5x4)/(3x2x1) = 20. All combinations of three unique elements from 6. So anything where you need to choose 3 items from 6 and not have duplicates could be used. Beyond that, no idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmb
Since the small game market is pretty big in Japan, I wonder if it was just produced for a short run of some one-off game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.