6 Posts

Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower» Forums » General

Subject: Need info about 1st session/scenario... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
unikat deset
msg tools
mbmbmb
Me an my friends bought WQST almost a month ago, but I've been painting miniatures slowly, didn't have much time, here we can't buy primer other than the primer for cars (which actually turned out fine X_x), but it took us quite some time to find it, then we can't find many of Citadel colors, or anything of similar kind, so I've been using a bit Citadel colors a bit regular acrylics (which luckily I have loads of since I'm an artist).

Anyway... it's taking too long, so I was wondering if there is some sort of intro scenario, which introduces you to rules?
I thought I'd speed up the painting by selecting few figures which would be needed for that intro scenario, so we can play that this weekends, and then paint the rest by the end of the next week. However I flipped through Adventure Book (didn't read anything, so I wouldn't spoil anything), but it didn't look like there is an intro scenario. (I'm aware that not all miniatures need to be painted to play the game, but I'm painting each part separately, then glue painted parts together, so that it's easier to work around details and stuff...)

1. Is there an intro scenario?
2. If there is intro scenario is there a clear list of enemies we'll be facing?
3. If there's no intro scenario are scenarios in order and does first one have any enemies which don't have any chance of spawning?
4. Or... if scenarios aren't in order and if I got it right, the more amulet pieces we collect the stronger enemies we will face, so on our first scenario, we won't face Ogroid Thaumaturge or Gaunt Summoner and something else (if so please name what)?

Thanks in advance^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Kind of. It's a recommended starting scenario.
2. Kind of. The scenario tells you which cards you will put into the location deck. Those cards specify both what you will face. You'll also be rolling on the encounter tables located on the back of one of the booklets that came with the game. If you want to limit your painting as much as possible, just paint the bad guys and the heroes you and your friends want to play as. Any of the bad guys could show up.
3. You choose which scenario you want to play, but you don't get any knowledge about it beforehand except for the name. The scenario booklet does group them in terms of difficulty, though.
4. Not really.

Sorry for being so vague. You'll really need to paint all the bad guys if you refuse to play with unpainted figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Russell
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite as simple to know what monsters will appear at random but if you take the first scenario and dig out all the cards it tells you to. Then look at which tables the cards will tell you roll on during that adventure. By looking at these tables (i think two tables are used) you can work out a common set of monsters that could come up on the tables and start painting those, when you need to roll just pick the number that relates to the models you have done instead.

Makes for a more limited experience but it'll work and is what i did early on when i only had acolytes, pink horror and grotlings done. I would say these are some of the best to start with as they come up a lot early on and have different weapons to add a bit of variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Van der Auwera
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
Why wait until all is painted? It took a while for me to assemble everything and then I just primed it all. Depending on colors available you could just prime the blue and pink horrors easily. Grots were primed black, all the rest white, which brought out the details significantly.

Then we just played with the primed figures.

And yes, the first quest is sort of an (rather easy) introduction tutorialesque quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mak logan
Greece
flag msg tools
mb
You need to paint at least a pink horror, 2 blue horror and brimstone. Paint 3-4 scutlings,the heroes you will take, the gaunt summoner and 3 acolytes. I thing these are the basics. But of course, the rest may come up during game session
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
unikat deset
msg tools
mbmbmb
First of all thanks for all the replies, sorry guys for using your nicknames/BGG names in replies, kinda feels stupid to use your real names (assuming those are your real names X_x).

@DyingTickles

Thanks for the info, even knowledge that I need to prepare everything is good, guess I'll have to overwork myself after all lol.

2. If you want to limit your painting as much as possible, just paint the bad guys and the heroes you and your friends want to play as. Any of the bad guys could show up.

Yeah that was the idea, luckily noone has picked Warpriest which comes with gryph-hound, so that's 47 total we'll need, I've painted 13 so far X_x.

I will probably paint 1 of each monster, and if double comes up, we'll just use an empty base.

@crusaderlord
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll throw it their way if they don't like the above idea. I've already finished all Grot Scutlings, 1 pair of Brimstone Horrors and 2 Slops (gave 1 normal paint job, painted the other one as Koi fish)

@Mistral2013
Well... we want everything to look good, and as an artist I want to paint them, and there's certain curiousity in exploring new things too, and it's my first time painting 3 objects, let alone miniature figures. It just takes a lot of time (even more if you include drying of paints), it took me 6 hours to paint Knight-Questor (not including drying time). If I'm going to paint them later on, it would be such a pain in the ass to properly paint assembled miniatures.
I only have colorless primer, can't find any different primer here, unless I want to mix up my own, which I don't lol.
Plus since I'm using normal acrylics which have a lot lower concentration of pigments than hobby paints (which are quite limited in options here and ordering is out of question, too expensive, even if delivery is free, our post office may decide to rip us off). Because I'm using normal acrylics mostly, sometimes it takes few layers of paint to cover something properly.

@ODYNH
Thanks for the list, I'll take note and concentrate on those first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.