Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll begin by saying this game looks great. No, it looks amazing.

What's holding me back however, is the gameplay. It looks like it plays exactly like Orcs Must Die! The Board Game: Unchained Edition, which is fiddly, repetitive and boring. Is this any different?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Cherry
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
MAJBrown22 wrote:

What's holding me back however, is the gameplay. It looks like it plays exactly like Orcs Must Die! The Board Game: Unchained Edition, which is fiddly, repetitive and boring. Is this any different?

I think fiddly is a subjective thing that varies by gamer. But there is a gameplay video (or 2?) on the kickstarter page if you want to see how fiddly the game is. Players do seem to have to manage spawning and moving all of the village miniatures (according to basic rules) so that might eclipse your fiddly threshold depending on preferences.

As for repetitive, again, you can look at the videos. Though apparently there are different scenarios that will have different or altered objectives based on the same central mechanics. I don't believe that they've all been revealed or anything, but there is apparently some variety there. With that said, I think the game seems to boil down to something like a tower defense game. Thinking about the TD video games, they are, in general terms, very repetitive. If you like them, I suspect you'd like the board game. If you don't, I suspect you wouldn't. I for one like TD games, but have never expected them to not be repetitive at least in format. I just enjoy the variety in enemy waves and map types.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Carter
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:

I don't think the game will play exactly like Orcs Must Die! The Board Game: Unchained Edition, but the gameplay does seem similar enough that I plan to only get Village Attacks. As for what's holding you back, I think Batariel provided some good information, so I'll try to give you some other things to think about without repeating what's already been said.

- Fiddly: This is tough. What's your definition of fiddly? Does it have to do with a game's complexity, the number of details you have to keep up with, or maybe a combination of both? Orcs Must Die doesn't look too fiddly to me, but I haven't played it. Based solely off of what I have seen and read (I've read the entire digital rulebooks for both games.), I'd say Village Attacks looks slightly less fiddly than Orcs Must Die. It isn't by much though. Many of the game mechanics in Village Attacks parallel mechanics in Orcs Must Die.

- Repetitive: I think Batariel did a great job addressing this point. However, I think a lot of games can feel repetitive, especially if you don't like them. Village Attacks addresses some of the repetitiveness that may be in Orcs Must Die by having scenarios with varying objectives, but I doubt the core game mechanics will change by a lot during those scenarios. You will still have to protect the Castle Heart while accomplishing other objectives.

- Boring: This is subjective. What did you find boring about Orcs Must Die? Was it the repetitive gameplay? Was it a lack of story elements? If so, Village Attacks may have enough variety and story to make it worth your time. Maybe the theme and aesthetics will make the game a lot more enjoyable for you.

It's no secret that I have a bias towards this game. I planned to back it before the Kickstarter campaign even started. As such, I want the game to be very successful and would love for you to support it. However, I'd hate to convince somebody to get a game that they end up not liking. Hopefully, the information provided in this thread helps you decide whether or not this game is for you... Also, you may want to check out the Kickstarter page for more info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus, of course, the game will or might be out retail, so you can read the reviews and such then. I'm noticing more KS games are getting reprinted (eg. Gloomhaven, KDM, Rum and Bones, Vast), so there's that possibility as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.