Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Rising Sun» Forums » General

Subject: Season card limit limiting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
The Lotus clan has an interesting mechanic of being able to exceed the limit of 2 for a particular mandate.

I thought wow exciting if Lotus plays Train then everyone may be stacked up on season cards.

But there's only 12 cards (maybe 14 with the add kickstarter monsters rule)

In a 6 player game those cards could get burned up rather quickly leaving some players without an option to purchase more cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Cross
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose backing the KS would help with this as each new monster adds a season card.

It's difficult to work it out without the rule book but the main page says there are 53 cards in the core box. If 10 of those are mandate cards that leaves 43. There must be at least 24 territory cards (8 territories for the 3 Seasons) so that leaves 19 cards. I read somewhere people saying that there are 7 Kami cards, so that leaves the 12 season cards you mentioned of which 8 are monsters.

Add to that the KS exclusive additional 15 season cards and the additional 10 monsters (so far) and that makes 37 season cards (assuming you can just throw all the monsters into the mix).

That's still not enough for a high player count game where Train is picked say three or more times every Season (and this doesn't take into account the further potential limit on the number of seasons cards in the Spring, Summer or Autumn decks).

However, it seems unlikely to me that this would be much of a problem as players probably won't be able to afford to buy so many season cards every Season (other than the Bonsai with Upgrades of course) and that it would probably not be a good move for the Lotus clan to constantly take Train (especially with the Bonsai in the game). There's a potential for a powerful alliance there but it would mainly benefit the Bonsai clan more than the Lotus clan and would also depend on whether "Upgrades" and "Monsters" are different season cards, which I suspect they are.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Marzel
Israel
flag msg tools
Avatar
StupidGabe wrote:
I suppose backing the KS would help with this as each new monster adds a season card.

It's difficult to work it out without the rule book but the main page says there are 53 cards in the core box. If 10 of those are mandate cards that leaves 43. There must be at least 24 territory cards (8 territories for the 3 Seasons) so that leaves 19 cards. I read somewhere people saying that there are 7 Kami cards, so that leaves the 12 season cards you mentioned of which 8 are monsters.

Add to that the KS exclusive additional 15 season cards and the additional 10 monsters (so far) and that makes 37 season cards (assuming you can just throw all the monsters into the mix).

That's still not enough for a high player count game where Train is picked say three or more times every Season (and this doesn't take into account the further potential limit on the number of seasons cards in the Spring, Summer or Autumn decks).

However, it seems unlikely to me that this would be much of a problem as players probably won't be able to afford to buy so many season cards every Season (other than the Bonsai with Upgrades of course) and that it would probably not be a good move for the Lotus clan to constantly take Train (especially with the Bonsai in the game). There's a potential for a powerful alliance there but it would mainly benefit the Bonsai clan more than the Lotus clan and would also depend on whether "Upgrades" and "Monsters" are different season cards, which I suspect they are.


Territories seem to be tiles, not cards. I suspect the Kami are tiles as well, and the mandates were also upgraded to tiles.

There should be about 15-20 cards per season, of which you draw 14(?) each season, and when they run out, you simply shouldn't train. Using 4 out of 7 mandates to train is an edge case anyway.

However, this could lead to situations where Lotus exploits this, choosing to train with less season cards than there are players and leaving the later players in the turn order in the cold. Cool.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Cross
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoeNothin wrote:
Territories seem to be tiles, not cards. I suspect the Kami are tiles as well, and the mandates were also upgraded to tiles.


Where do you see that the territories are tiles? From the picture of the board and the list of components, it appears to me that the territories are cards. As you say, the Kami, mandates and political boards each got upgraded to cardboard and the mandates were further upgraded as a KSE to plastic engraved chits but I think the season and territory cards are still cards (I imagine they would need to be shuffled).

I guess one would shuffle the KSE mandates tiles like mahjong pieces.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fel Barros
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Senior Game Developer at CMON
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We arrived at 12 cards for economic reasons (most players can buy 1-2 cards per season) , also note there is a "card god" (that allows for extra purchases).

Lotus is a very versatile clan indeed but it's very rare for cards to be depleted (it usually involves tons of early harvesting, bonsai in play and the card god).

The highest note on the game for me is for sure how different games can be. I saw players completely skipping train for an entire season or treating the game as area control and a cold war for harvesting spots was on... there are many possibilities (players' driven) in a very condensed rules set.





2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sands
Canada
New Westminster
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
StupidGabe wrote:
JoeNothin wrote:
Territories seem to be tiles, not cards. I suspect the Kami are tiles as well, and the mandates were also upgraded to tiles.


Where do you see that the territories are tiles? From the picture of the board and the list of components, it appears to me that the territories are cards. As you say, the Kami, mandates and political boards each got upgraded to cardboard and the mandates were further upgraded as a KSE to plastic engraved chits but I think the season and territory cards are still cards (I imagine they would need to be shuffled).

I guess one would shuffle the KSE mandates tiles like mahjong pieces.


Sorry, as in the video the territories are tiles. They are thicker stock cardboard.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are hundreds of games where resources and other components are end to plan to get the ones you want early or risk missing out. It's all part of the strategy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Yes came back to add that I had forgotten about the Kami train ability.

I find the season cards to be the most exciting part, and was concerned that 14 may be limiting in a 6 player game.

Glad to hear its not an issue.
Thx for feedback @fakedutch.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Just noticed that the playthrough video only had 10 cards for Summer. Whereas Spring and Autumn had 12.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Cross
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thelegitsandman wrote:
StupidGabe wrote:
JoeNothin wrote:
Territories seem to be tiles, not cards. I suspect the Kami are tiles as well, and the mandates were also upgraded to tiles.


Where do you see that the territories are tiles? From the picture of the board and the list of components, it appears to me that the territories are cards. As you say, the Kami, mandates and political boards each got upgraded to cardboard and the mandates were further upgraded as a KSE to plastic engraved chits but I think the season and territory cards are still cards (I imagine they would need to be shuffled).

I guess one would shuffle the KSE mandates tiles like mahjong pieces.


Sorry, as in the video the territories are tiles. They are thicker stock cardboard.


Thanks. I also noticed that on the full playthrough video they looked like cardboard tiles rather than cards. I guess they were always cardboard but its odd that they aren't mentioned in the upgrade in which the cards were upgraded to cardboard.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Warlock00 wrote:
Just noticed that the playthrough video only had 10 cards for Summer. Whereas Spring and Autumn had 12.

I wonder if the 15 extra cards from the KS are added to these (5 per season)?
Also, 10 new monsters = 10 new season cards.
So that's about +8 extra per season.

Unless I'm mistaken .. somewhere?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
This is from a while ago, you may have missed it.

Quote Thiago:
"Now, during setup, each Season has 7 core cards that are always in play. Then you choose which extra set you want to play with and add those 5 cards to the Season. Finally, if you have extra monsters, you may add up to 2 of them per Season."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
As for card counts it was hypothesised some time ago that:

53 cards are 10 Mandates, 7 Kami, 36 Season (12 per season) (Includes the 8 monsters).

Likely that the 24 province pieces are considered part of the 137 tokens.

-----

EDIT:
Was recently stated that there are 7 core and 2 sets of 5 per season. Before the kickstarter extra set C.
7+5+5=17 per season. Total of 51. So no idea where 53 comes from.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.