Jeffrey Secrest
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer: No, this Ryan Laukut designed game is not a licensed product
but...

Following the Empires of the Void II Kickstarter campaign I had a real odd sense of familiarity about the theme as expressed by Ryan's illustrations, text and game mechanics. I do own a few RRG titles so in part I was sure that was at least some explanation.

In the back of my frontal lobe something was still nagging me. A little bell was ringing but why? DING DONG!! it hit me I had made an off-handed comment about an Empires of the Void movie and paused for a moment to think about what such a spectacle would look like. I immediately thought of Guardians of the Galaxy!

EotV II is not Star Trek which strikes me as Navy in space and too straight-laced! EotV II is also not Star Wars which is too much a fairytale moral narrative. So what is EotV II? It has a bit of a Battlestar Galactica back story but the heart of it is Guardians, a free-wheeling romp with tons of surprises where players will make just about anything happen! Warp your Worldship into uncharted space and recruit combolicious alien races to out maneuver and out shoot your opponents. You wanna transport an alien artifact across the fringe or keep it for yourself for obvious benefit, you can do that. Kidnap an alien ambassador from an opponent and deliver them for financial and diplomatic gain, you can do that. Use a wormhole bomb to exile your enemies to the other side of the board, damn straight! Spread a space fungus to plague your enemies, you know you want to! Invade or repel invaders, awaiting orders captain.

There is no Above and Below style storybook in this game. It's all largely done with multi-use cards. Dice help to resolve combat, diplomacy and a few more actions but they are largely supplemented by more deterministic elements. EotV II tells a memorable story not with eye-crossing blocks of text but with rich one and two sentence blurbs accompanied by Ryan's evocative illustrations. Shhhh, don't tell CMON but Ryan has begun sculpting miniatures and including them in his most recent designs whistle

When I leave the radiated battlefields of Earth there will be no returning. Take me away Red Raven Games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister Cloak
msg tools
All I can think of when people talk about GotG is when Starlord is talking about how the inside of his ship would look like a Jackso Pollock painting under a blacklight and now the first thing I am going to be tempted to do is check my copy when it arrives for secret uv responsive "art" in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Secrest
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mister_Cloak wrote:
All I can think of when people talk about GotG is when Starlord is talking about how the inside of his ship would look like a Jackso Pollock painting under a blacklight and now the first thing I am going to be tempted to do is check my copy when it arrives for secret uv responsive "art" in the box.

Yikes! gulp
Now you've got me thinking about 'Alien' and whether players could become a host to a growing alien parasite while visiting one of the 'uninhabited' planets? Chest burster anyone? surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Scanlan
Australia
Bunbury
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my (one and only) BGG review, I described the original Empires of the Void as a "space romp". I love the personality and light-hearted narrative of Ryan's games. Good call!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huff
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guardians of the Galaxy is probably my favorite Marvel movie so maybe Empires of the Void II will be my favorite Red Raven game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.