Myth» Forums » General

Subject: Will we be player Myth Masters before 2020? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lion Noir
msg tools
mb
This is pure speculation just for fun.

The first Myth KS was launched in march 2013.
Took around 2 years to fully deleiver.

The second Myth KS (Myth Journeyman) was lauched in march 2015 and only the base game have been delevered yet. Wich we don't play for we are waiting for the fun stuff before (Streach goals).

Myth masters campaign will MAYBE happen in at the end of 2017. Maybe early 2018.

At this rate, if you are like me and like to wait fot the full SG before playing, we won't be playing Masters before 2020.

It is scary far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malefacus wrote:
At this rate, if you are like me and like to wait fot the full SG before playing, we won't be playing Masters before 2020.

It is scary far.

Wow, I'll have the entire Kingdom Death collection by then, assuming Poots is on time. I think that's about 25 full expansions .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
We'll probably have the "MYTH: Battles" Kickstarter this year and perhaps the "MYTH: Base Game Reprint" Kickstarter. With the largest portion of JM still undelivered, I can't really see how they could commit to "Master" in the way they should this year.
Autumn 2018 seems like a reasonalbe date. Gives people time to actually play all that content and straighten out the fallout of JM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
nimmzwei wrote:
We'll probably have the "MYTH: Battles" Kickstarter this year and perhaps the "MYTH: Base Game Reprint" Kickstarter. With the largest portion of JM still undelivered, I can't really see how they could commit to "Master" in the way they should this year.
Autumn 2018 seems like a reasonalbe date. Gives people time to actually play all that content and straighten out the fallout of JM.

I think those Kickstarters will have to bring in serious numbers though. Any company cannot operate without proper profits. Take a look at this telling comment pulled from the Dark Frontier campaign before it closed. Keep in mind that campaign closed with 1288 backers.

No one knows their financial situation. Maybe they banked a considerable portion of the $3Million they brought in for Myth, RECON and JM and are stretching those profits through the leaner times that Banner Saga, DD, Dark Frontier and EE have ushered in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nimmzwei wrote:

I also suspect that MCG won't offer both unique sculpts and alt gender minis for everything in Myth Master that they did for Novice and JM.

That is one of the biggest reasons for delays - the sheer number of unique sculpts that came with the JM KS.

If they do both alt gender and unique sculpts for each, you're talking another four sculpts per base game class, and then another two sculpts per each expansion character. We're up to what? 13 different heroes?

Soldier x4
Acolyte x4
Apprentice x4
Brigand x4
Archer x4
Skald x2
Spriggan x2
Trickster x2
Hunter* x2
Outsider x2
Swashbuckler x2
Alchemist x2
Monk x2

So right now you have the following number of sculpts for everything:

Novice: 26
JM: 36
Master**: 36

* Assuming you have him, of course
** Assuming there are no new heroes introduced, which is highly unlikely

This means that we would have 98 different sculpts for 13 different heroes. Plus additional heroes that are introduced with the campaign.

You're less likely to get people to buy expansions than you are the base game. If you have everything up to and including JM, you have something like 500ish minis. Assuming an average of two hours per Act and one hour per Quest, and that you only ever play each Module/Quest once, at least 60 hours of Modules and something like 50 hours of free form Adventuring.

Save time on the additional sculpts. They'd be awesome to have, but I don't think the increased cost/lead time is worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
swirlsaepi wrote:
If you have everything up to and including JM, you have something like 500ish minis. Assuming an average of two hours per Act and one hour per Quest, and that you only ever play each Module/Quest once, at least 60 hours of Modules and something like 50 hours of free form Adventuring.

.... and just think of how long it takes to paint all those miniatures!! surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lion Noir
msg tools
mb
Mistermannindy wrote:
nimmzwei wrote:

I think those Kickstarters will have to bring in serious numbers though. Any company cannot operate without proper profits. Take a look at this telling comment pulled from the Dark Frontier campaign before it closed. Keep in mind that campaign closed with 1288 backers.

No one knows their financial situation. Maybe they banked a considerable portion of the $3Million they brought in for Myth, RECON and JM and are stretching those profits through the leaner times that Banner Saga, DD, Dark Frontier and EE have ushered in.

Wow that is a good find. Being a old time MERCS fan I've been following MGC from before their first KS. I was realy happy for them for the succes they had with the first Myth and RECON KS. Then troubles began. But they still had a great Journeyman campaign. Then troubles got worst with Recon. The seemed to have created for themselves devoted haters.

Since Journeyman all 4 of their KS Campaigns had much less success. I wonder if this is just purely because their games simply got less people interested or is the widely negative views of the community is costing them backers?

With this post of them you found, with the lost of Tom, with no potentially big KS coming for them, with the comunity semmingly less and less beind them, I wonder what the future will be like for MGC. I love myth and love independent game compagnie so I wish for the best but I'll admit it's a bit scary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Buitelaar
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Save time on the additional sculpts. They'd be awesome to have, but I don't think the increased cost/lead time is worth it

I have to disagree here. They would be the main draw for me.
I understand different people have different reasons for backing games, but I love they sheer ammount of different sculpts and painting projects.

I personally won't mind if we get to play it in 2020. I'll have plenty to do when the rest of JM arrives.
I do think the smaller successes with follow up campaigns also has something to di with the nature of the campaigns: Less bonus content, less backers. Negative view is probably a factor as well I'm afraid.

I also choose to still believe in them, but it is becoming hard to ignore that they don't seem to learn lessons about communications.
I appreciate you are busy, guys. But taking 5 minutes to tell us everything is on schedule/a bit late or whatever would go a long way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The_Voivod wrote:
I also choose to still believe in them, but it is becoming hard to ignore that they don't seem to learn lessons about communications.
I appreciate you are busy, guys. But taking 5 minutes to tell us everything is on schedule/a bit late or whatever would go a long way.

Precisely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In the case of both Myth and Mercs Recon, the games are attractive and innovative, but in both cases the rulebook doesn't do an adequate job of teaching the game. They're great games, but there are holes in the rules and it's quite a job to learn the rules well.

The question I would ask before I decided to back a future kickstarter is whether they are learning THOSE lessons. Other games have rules issues too, but their games seem to be more labor intensive in this regard than others.

It's not that I don't like the cool minis with the alternate poses for the various levels of the character, but to me that is something they should work on after they have licked the problem of how to write their rulebooks so they teach the game well, provide good rules reference, and find the holes in the rules.

Perhaps I am in the minority here? Perhaps you all believe (and maybe you're right) that at this point they have already lost the vast majority of gamers and they're only catering to the people who took the effort to learn Myth despite it's manual?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swirlsaepi wrote:

That is one of the biggest reasons for delays - the sheer number of unique sculpts that came with the JM KS.

It's been such a long time so I'm a bit hazy, but did they ever really comment on how their sculptor leaving impacted the creation and modification of the JM sculpts? Not for the base games as I'm pretty sure he left after that was locked down, but for all the stuff that's still out in the ether, waiting for delivery?

I remember receiving a few different emails around this time last year with photos and videos of the sculpts in progress for the JM boxes, but after that it's a bit of a blur.

Regardless, I'd agree that the miniatures are likely the reason there are protracted delays and every single KS I've been part of that contains miniatures (in any format) has run late.

I can't even begin to imagine thinking about another directly related Myth KS until all the JM stuff is delivered. 2020 is probably a good guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Phantom Load wrote:
swirlsaepi wrote:

It's been such a long time so I'm a bit hazy, but did they ever really comment on how their sculptor leaving impacted the creation and modification of the JM sculpts? Not for the base games as I'm pretty sure he left after that was locked down, but for all the stuff that's still out in the ether, waiting for delivery?

Tom's sculpts were complete when he left. There was nothing outstanding. Update 135 states this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. Thanks for remembering that. Can't believe that was 7 months ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mistermannindy wrote:
swirlsaepi wrote:
If you have everything up to and including JM, you have something like 500ish minis. Assuming an average of two hours per Act and one hour per Quest, and that you only ever play each Module/Quest once, at least 60 hours of Modules and something like 50 hours of free form Adventuring.

.... and just think of how long it takes to paint all those miniatures!! surprise

Seriously. It's a lot easier and quicker to paint x20 minions (when they are all the same pose and you can knock them all out pretty quickly) than it is to paint a handful of different unique sculpts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Renwick
Australia
Avalon
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
People will come back for Myth Master if they're happy with Journeyman. One lesson that MCG may have learned from Dark Frontier is that their miniatures are a huge part of their appeal as a company, and if a Kickstarter is lacking cool miniatures, it'll struggle to attract interest and hype.

Megacon have talked about Master being light on miniatures. That may be because it's getting harder to get quality miniatures produced at a decent price or in a reasonable time. At any rate, the Master KS might struggle if it doesn't have the sort of amazing miniatures that Myth fans are used to.

The best compromise I can think of is to forget about producing a bunch of minions, and concentrate instead on producing a few cool looking Mini Bosses and maybe alternative Bosses and Commanders. People will likely get excited by that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Schmidt
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soldier x4 x6 (M/F JM M/F)
Acolyte x4 x6 (M/F JM M/F)
Apprentice x4 x6 (M/F JM M/F)
Brigand x4 x6 (M/F JM M/F)
Archer x4 x6 (M/F JM M/F)
Skald x2 x4 (M/F x2 JM)
Spriggan x2 x2 (Spriggan/JM Spriggan)
Trickster x2 x4 (M/F JM M/F)
Hunter* x2
Outsider x2 x6 (M/F JM M/F)
Swashbuckler x2 x6 (M/F JM M/F)
Alchemist x2
Monk x2 x6 (M/F JM M/F)
Swordsworn x1

JM: 36 43
Master**: 36 43

Fixed your numbers. Per the $600K SG, they added 19 alt gender minis (10 for base game, 3 each for Outsider/Swashbuckler/Monk). Spriggan/Skald/Trickster had addons for JM mini's (1/2/2). Hunter was JM cards only. Only one that was not mentioned getting more than 2 mini's was the Alchemist in the $800k SG. Based on the lackluster funding of DF I don't know how much support the Swordsworn will get. MCG did say he would be available in Myth Master.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd seriously doubt that it would be run and fully delivered by then; unless it is really thin on minis as discussed.

They've clearly been utilizing/testing Master level hero cards as discussed in one of their videos around developing the world bosses,....

So I suppose; if the Master KS was really just 10 more cards for each hero,.... They could potentially run that with some tiles; module, and one new monster race,....

But if there is any craziness like the mentioned 43 hero sculpts,.... or a boatload of new baddies,.... then (run in 18 deliver in 20) is an ambitious goal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ehmschmidt wrote:
Soldier x4 x6 (M/F JM M/F)
Acolyte x4 x6 (M/F JM M/F)
Apprentice x4 x6 (M/F JM M/F)
Brigand x4 x6 (M/F JM M/F)
Archer x4 x6 (M/F JM M/F)
Skald x2 x4 (M/F x2 JM)
Spriggan x2 x2 (Spriggan/JM Spriggan)
Trickster x2 x4 (M/F JM M/F)
Hunter* x2
Outsider x2 x6 (M/F JM M/F)
Swashbuckler x2 x6 (M/F JM M/F)
Alchemist x2
Monk x2 x6 (M/F JM M/F)
Swordsworn x1

JM: 36 43
Master**: 36 43

Fixed your numbers. Per the $600K SG, they added 19 alt gender minis (10 for base game, 3 each for Outsider/Swashbuckler/Monk). Spriggan/Skald/Trickster had addons for JM mini's (1/2/2). Hunter was JM cards only. Only one that was not mentioned getting more than 2 mini's was the Alchemist in the $800k SG. Based on the lackluster funding of DF I don't know how much support the Swordsworn will get. MCG did say he would be available in Myth Master.

Sorry, those numbers I listed for each of the hero classes were supposed to be the number of additional unique sculpts that we would be receiving in Myth Master if they continued with both alt genders and separate sculpts for each path - I just didn't mention that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Ridinger
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yamato2 wrote:

So I suppose; if the Master KS was really just 10 more cards for each hero,.... They could potentially run that with some tiles; module, and one new monster race,....

This is essentially what I want out of the Master level content, the final cards for all the characters, a module or two and some epic world boss fights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Buitelaar
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Final?
Didn't you know that after master comes Legend?

I want full upgrades icluding mini's for the heroes.
I don't need another buttload of monster though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The_Voivod wrote:
Final?
Didn't you know that after master comes Legend?

I want full upgrades icluding mini's for the heroes.
I don't need another buttload of monster though.

Legendary heroes will have 2x2 bases and be at least the size of a Murker...

They'll also come fully painted and with a tiny sound-chip and speaker inside each mini, that makes customizable unit-acknowledge sounds whenever you move a figure...

And don't forget the "Legendary MYTH" app for iOS and really, really soon for Android...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Buitelaar
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Di Muro
msg tools
mbmbmb
And who knows what they plan with Master and Legend? Maybe it will be simple stuff like one character class being able to use cards from another deck. Or, it will simply be the heroes being upgraded and only a handful of epic monsters or bosses. I think they have pretty much covered every enemy type they intend to. Looking at what we are waiting on JM makes my head spin. So many enemy minis and abilities....

Then when you look at the homebrew stuff here on BGG maybe they will incorporate that stuff - like the dungeon maps idea etc. They did that previously with carlessopossums work...

The way I see it - my two kids will be teenagers by the time i get everything. Perfect! LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.