J H
msg tools
mbmb
Hey guys,

MP:EE has been a game I've been interested in since its release.

I did have a couple questions though before I decided whether I should buy or pass

1. How impactful are the initial nations cards on one's strategy? I really like random initial setups that have a significant impact on how one plays a game. For instance, in Agricola, which is one of my top games, depending on what cards you get, your play style varies substantially.

2. I know that there are many ways to score points in the game, but is it more like "there is one main way to get points and several other minor ways to get points"? For instance, I really enjoy Viticulture, but one thing that kind of bugs me about that game is that in the end it's all about filling orders. Yes there are other ways to score points, but they're minor compared to the orders and towards the end it just becomes a tug fest for "fill order action".

3. Why do you think MP:EE hasn't been getting the attention it should probably get? I know that Rahdo selected this as his #1 game of 2016 and I know many other reviewers & websites who either selected this as the #1 game of 2016 or at least top 5. However, I'm surprised at the seemingly lukewarm response and attention. Its ratings and overall rank on BGG are quite low and there aren't many threads on the BGG forum here. I guess I'm just a bit surprised since I was super excited about this game but it seems like not many people share this enthusiasm and so I was wondering if there was a reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. They are moderately impactful, as they only dictate how you move up the UN track and nothing else. The resources required to do this will obviously guide a few purchases, but fewer than you think.

2. There are numerous ways to win. I've seen people win focusing on building, objectives and environment/global impacts. I've seen effective engines based on tons of power generation and focused clean power, focusing on one track (government, industry, commercial) and also balanced. Each game is different and you can go different ways.

Also, I've won Viticulture without filling a single wine order...

3. I think it's more the competition than the game. It's a pure worker placement/engine builder using the name of a moderately successful game that it shares nothing in common with. I think the lack of attention had more to do with Scythe, Great Western Trail, Terraforming Mars and Clank! than anything. I think it should have had its own name rather than the Manhattan Project, but it's a fantastic game that stands on its own merit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Each country card also provides a different starting setup which will likely push you in a certain direction right out of the gate besides needing something different to move up the UN track.

2. I'm uncertain if you can win if you have a ton of pollution. But there are quite a few ways to gain points.

3. I wonder if the Manhattan Project lead in for the title is hurting or helping. When I saw that I initially ignored the game thinking it was either an expansion or variant of a game which I disliked. This is nothing like that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Geraghty
Ireland
Kilkenny
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jerryboy86 wrote:
3. Why do you think MP:EE hasn't been getting the attention it should probably get? I know that Rahdo selected this as his #1 game of 2016 and I know many other reviewers & websites who either selected this as the #1 game of 2016 or at least top 5. However, I'm surprised at the seemingly lukewarm response and attention. Its ratings and overall rank on BGG are quite low and there aren't many threads on the BGG forum here. I guess I'm just a bit surprised since I was super excited about this game but it seems like not many people share this enthusiasm and so I was wondering if there was a reason.

It's an awesome game from a smaller company (Minion). Being a smaller company, TMP:EE doesn't automatically get stocked in stores like a game from Asmodee.

While Tom Jolly is no stranger to designing board games, co-designer Luke Laurie only has one other published game. And, this game is a departure from Jolly's other games. If this game had Feld, Rosenberg or Pfister in the credits, people would be falling over themselves to get this game. In a few years, they will be doing the same for games that Luke and Tom release jointly or by themselves.

Because it isn't in as many hands, it doesn't have as many ratings as some of the other hit games of 2016. It did recently get it's 1000th rating here on BGG, and it is averaging a rating of 8.0. That would put it in the top ten if thousands of people bought and rated it. Nevertheless, it's ranking has consistently risen since it released in November. Check out how "HOT" it's been on this list:
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/215866/bgg-climbers-games...

Lastly, this forum doesn't get as many threads on it because the rulebook is super easy to understand. Most games have so many rules questions that several times a day, somebody is asking for clarification. You rarely see that here, and if you do, it was probably covered in the FAQ thread found here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1696386/official-faq-manhat...

Finally, don't worry about purchasing this game. Just do it! You won't regret it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
larryjrice wrote:
3. I wonder if the Manhattan Project lead in for the title is hurting or helping. When I saw that I initially ignored the game thinking it was either an expansion or variant of a game which I disliked. This is nothing like that game.

FWIW, same here, this game was totally off my radar for the above reason but Larry's recommendation and the fact that Tom Jolly is involved (something I didn't realize before) has put it back on my map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hauke Kolle
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
larryjrice wrote:
[...]

I was confused, but wouldn't have found out about the game without it. It was a random find in a shop, when I was looking for The Manhattan Project, and then I was immediately drawn in by the theme. Imported it from the Netherlands soon after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Laurie
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad you're taking an interest in Energy Empire!

Regarding the reception of the game, the first print run of the game has sold out completely, and only some stores still have copies. Fortunately, a second print run was ordered immediately, and we're hoping that they'll be restocked before all the stores run out in the next several weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose the Manhattan Project brand name was a double edge sword... but the game could just sat there and never gotten any recognition without it. There are so many games these days, game stores are extremely picky on what they bring in. As such having something tied to a more successful brand takes away some of their fears. So the MP brand has probably helped get it off the ground faster then if it was just another game from Minion Games. Though yeah, some people just might over look it - but most of those people eventually research and learn what it really is. You can't always say that for a game store who hasn't the time to do that with every title.

Chain Reaction was released before it and Minutes to Midnight will come later this year, so I think people and stores are smart enough to realize what we're doing.

Keep in mind that only about 5000 EE exist in the world. That means that only a few people are ranking it, talking about it, and playing it. It's not like other games that may have had 30,000 units printed. But we'll slowly keep printing more and by next year the rank should be top 100.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks everyone for the awesome replies

That solves a lot of my curiosities

The answers to #3 are I guess a little unfortunate - maybe it will still gathering attention as time goes by

But hey what do you know the game is out of stock in all my usual online vendors. I guess it's popular enough after all haha

I'll have to wait for the next restock and get it then

Personally I do wish it would have more player variability due to initial cards but I am really intrigued by the tableau/engine building aspect

Looking forward to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.