Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Tin Goose» Forums » Rules

Subject: Making true secret bids during the Airmail Route selection phase rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I'm guessing at some point during the design of the game, money tokens were going to be used instead of paper money. I can only assume this because the rules in the 'Beginning the Game' section states: "Each player bids a secret amount face down on the table." Obviously with coloured paper money, and different colours for each amount, this doesn't work.

An easy work-around is to make your bid behind your screen, keeping your bid money face up on top of your stack of money, with the rest of your money face down. When all players have made their bid, screens are removed and bid amounts are announced.

An easy way to do secret bids with paper money!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just hold our bids beneath the table until it's time to reveal. Players select the money for their bid out of others' sight and place the unused money behind their respective screens.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
We just hold our bids beneath the table until it's time to reveal. Players selected the money for their bid out of others' sight and place the unused money behind their respective screens.


We tried that. But with neighbouring players sitting to my side we wanted to select our bids in completely hidden view. Doing everything behind the screen seemed liked the best option. Not that anyone was trying to cheat, but peripheral vision has a way of revealing things.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a set of poker chips instead of the paper money for the whole game, because the paper money is so very, very sucky.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DJ Kuul A wrote:
I use a set of poker chips instead of the paper money for the whole game, because the paper money is so very, very sucky.


Universal truth. So much so, there's no way game companies don't know it. I don't know how much adding cardboard money chits adds to the overall MSRP, but if it's a dollar or two more, then it's worth it. Rio Grande must have punches for cardboard coins already with all their games.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
freechinanow wrote:
Hi!

I'm guessing at some point during the design of the game, money tokens were going to be used instead of paper money. I can only assume this because the rules in the 'Beginning the Game' section states: "Each player bids a secret amount face down on the table." Obviously with coloured paper money, and different colours for each amount, this doesn't work.

An easy work-around is to make your bid behind your screen, keeping your bid money face up on top of your stack of money, with the rest of your money face down. When all players have made their bid, screens are removed and bid amounts are announced.

An easy way to do secret bids with paper money!
Last night, we all selected our bid secretly and slid it underneath our phones when we were ready (who doesn't have a flat smartphone in this day and age!).

But yeah, with secret amounts of paper money, it does seem quite ridiculous. But I think the game is fine as it is - the amount of VPs that we have to exchange in Airlines Europe is too ridiculous.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.