1 , 2  Next »   | 

Here I Stand» Forums » General

Subject: Here I Stand reprint is GO -- new rules and cards! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Muir
Germany
flag msg tools
The long awaited reprint of Here I Stand has been approved by GMT Games. It's out of the p500 process with 716 orders, and is currently expected to ship sometime in the second half of this year.

This "500th Anniversary Edition" includes a number of new rules and cards (see below). If you have one of the older editions, for $25 you can buy an "upgrade kit" that includes the new rules, cards, and French home card.

Apparently it's still selling for the low p500 price of $58 rather than the retail price of $85. Don't know how much longer that will continue, so if you're thinking to pick it up, now is probably a good time.

Doug M.

Here I Stand 500th Anniversary Reprint Edition

NOTE: Here I Stand was due for a reprint in 2017, but with October 31, 2017 being the 500th anniversary of Martin Luther's posting of his 95 Theses, Ed Beach and his team of Here I Stand enthusiasts have put together a series of enhancements to the original game that transform this reprint into a deluxe 500th anniversary treatment.

Enhancements include:

6 brand new cards added to the deck, including Thomas More, Thomas Cromwell, Rough Wooing, and Imperial Coronation.
Revisions to over 15 existing cards including Copernicus, Master of Italy, and Machiavelli to allow for more exciting in-game play and additional possibilities for diplomatic deals.
A new Chateau construction table is now used to resolve France's Patron of the Arts home card plays.
Several Virgin Queen rule updates are incorporated back into Here I Stand, affecting minor power activation, piracy, space trading, and foreign wars.

For those of you who already have a P500 order in for the Reprint Edition of Here I Stand, your order is still good - you'll just be getting an upgraded version of the game for the same P500 price. And for those of you who want to order it on P500, we're keeping the same pricing as the previous reprint version, but giving you more value! So order away!

For those of you who already own the game and don't want an entire new game, but would like to only update the new components, we are also offering a Here I Stand 500th Anniversary Edition Upgrade Kit for $35 Retail and $25 P500 pricing (+ shipping) that will allow owners of the existing game to enjoy this updated new version. The upgrade kit will include new card decks, a card of updated charts, six new power cards, a half sheet of new counters, and the new rules and scenario books.

We hope you enjoy this cool new edition of Here I Stand via either the full new boxed game or the upgrade kit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Allard
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you for the information. Upgrade Kit ordered.

JimA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vormuir wrote:
The long awaited reprint of Here I Stand has been approved by GMT Games. It's out of the p500 process with 716 orders, and is currently expected to ship sometime in the second half of this year.

This "500th Anniversary Edition" includes a number of new rules and cards (see below). If you have one of the older editions, for $25 you can buy an "upgrade kit" that includes the new rules, cards, and French home card.

Apparently it's still selling for the low p500 price of $58 rather than the retail price of $85. Don't know how much longer that will continue, so if you're thinking to pick it up, now is probably a good time.

Doug M.

Here I Stand 500th Anniversary Reprint Edition

NOTE: Here I Stand was due for a reprint in 2017, but with October 31, 2017 being the 500th anniversary of Martin Luther's posting of his 95 Theses, Ed Beach and his team of Here I Stand enthusiasts have put together a series of enhancements to the original game that transform this reprint into a deluxe 500th anniversary treatment.

Enhancements include:

6 brand new cards added to the deck, including Thomas More, Thomas Cromwell, Rough Wooing, and Imperial Coronation.
Revisions to over 15 existing cards including Copernicus, Master of Italy, and Machiavelli to allow for more exciting in-game play and additional possibilities for diplomatic deals.
A new Chateau construction table is now used to resolve France's Patron of the Arts home card plays.
Several Virgin Queen rule updates are incorporated back into Here I Stand, affecting minor power activation, piracy, space trading, and foreign wars.

For those of you who already have a P500 order in for the Reprint Edition of Here I Stand, your order is still good - you'll just be getting an upgraded version of the game for the same P500 price. And for those of you who want to order it on P500, we're keeping the same pricing as the previous reprint version, but giving you more value! So order away!

For those of you who already own the game and don't want an entire new game, but would like to only update the new components, we are also offering a Here I Stand 500th Anniversary Edition Upgrade Kit for $35 Retail and $25 P500 pricing (+ shipping) that will allow owners of the existing game to enjoy this updated new version. The upgrade kit will include new card decks, a card of updated charts, six new power cards, a half sheet of new counters, and the new rules and scenario books.

We hope you enjoy this cool new edition of Here I Stand via either the full new boxed game or the upgrade kit!

so just go to P500 page and order?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Muir
Germany
flag msg tools
umrmeche wrote:

Yes. Here's the page for the upgrade kit:

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-631-here-i-stand-500th-anniversar...

Officially it's still in p500, meaning it hasn't been approved yet. But it went from zero to 420 in less than a month. So unless something strange happens, it should hit 500 and make the cut in the next week or two.

Doug M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vormuir wrote:
umrmeche wrote:

Yes. Here's the page for the upgrade kit:

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-631-here-i-stand-500th-anniversar...

Officially it's still in p500, meaning it hasn't been approved yet. But it went from zero to 420 in less than a month. So unless something strange happens, it should hit 500 and make the cut in the next week or two.

Doug M.

That page shows an upgrade kit. Where do I go to order the whole new edition game since I don't own the original but it has been on my "must have" list for awhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Beach
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
This one should do the trick, Jonathan:

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-508-here-i-stand-500th-anniversar...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello; apologies if the question is a dumb one. I am a GMT newb.

Does anyone happen to know if the upgrade kit will contain absolutely everything that the 500th Anniversary Edition will contain---or merely those that have a functional impact on the rules?

Even if there are game differences that are just aesthetic (ex. small board changes), I'd probably rebuy the whole game to get the new edition. Otherwise, if the only thing I'd be lacking would be a different box cover, then I'll just be happy to buy the upgrade pack and supplement my base game (still trying to get a game session together for this classic!).

Thanks to any who can answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed Beach wrote:

Thank you!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Beach
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Brother Jim wrote:

Does anyone happen to know if the upgrade kit will contain absolutely everything that the 500th Anniversary Edition will contain---or merely those that have a functional impact on the rules?

Even if there are game differences that are just aesthetic (ex. small board changes), I'd probably rebuy the whole game to get the new edition. Otherwise, if the only thing I'd be lacking would be a different box cover, then I'll just be happy to buy the upgrade pack and supplement my base game (still trying to get a game session together for this classic!).

It won't be ABSOLUTELY everything. The main reason is that a new board is not included in the upgrade kit. Now the board hardly changed at all, so that's reasonable. In fact the only changes are:

1) Stirling (in Scotland) is now a fortified space so a Fortress counter is placed there at game start.

2) The cost of declaring war on some minors was increased. So there is a new diplomatic status table (which is planned to be printed on a separate cardstock card like in Virgin Queen) and the one printed on the board is not used.

Not sure if these items bother you at all. But if so you'll probably want to order a new copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Kahrl
United States
Unionville
Nutmegistan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks for the intel, Ed. I for one very much hope that the updated diplomatic status table is included in the update kit as a separate cardstock card. Faith in GMT is almost always rewarded, but I figured it was worth giving voice to what many here might wish. Even if it runs an extra buck or two, it's worth it (for me) to pay it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gonzalo Pro
Peru
flag msg tools
mb
Many thanks for those #edleaks !!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed Beach wrote:
Brother Jim wrote:

It won't be ABSOLUTELY everything. The main reason is that a new board is not included in the upgrade kit. Now the board hardly changed at all, so that's reasonable. In fact the only changes are:

1) Stirling (in Scotland) is now a fortified space so a Fortress counter is placed there at game start.

2) The cost of declaring war on some minors was increased. So there is a new diplomatic status table (which is planned to be printed on a separate cardstock card like in Virgin Queen) and the one printed on the board is not used.

Not sure if these items bother you at all. But if so you'll probably want to order a new copy.

I placed the order! It won't bill until it ships right? Will we get updates on shipment status?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hall
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Latest GMT update has this scheduled for production in September 2017.

I think they bill when production starts, then ship some time later when production completed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
DiamondSylph wrote:
... Ed. I for one very much hope that the updated diplomatic status table is included in the update kit as a separate cardstock card. ..

Same question here. Will this be included in the Update pack? I expect it will be, as it is just a card to throw into the pack...but you never know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LordSun
Malaysia
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Always been interested, ordered via GMT already, is it true if play less than 6 players the game doesn't shine as much, sorry if this question been asked!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Raiden00 wrote:
Always been interested, ordered via GMT already, is it true if play less than 6 players the game doesn't shine as much, sorry if this question been asked!

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234432/good-6-players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LordSun
Malaysia
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talonz wrote:
Raiden00 wrote:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234432/good-6-players

Thanks!

Probably means I might just keep it without playing! Hardly get 6 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KC Mo
msg tools
Any insights into how Copernicus, Master of Italy, and Machiavelli have changed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gonzalo Pro
Peru
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah we would love another #edleak
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hall
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Latest GMT update (May 2017) still has this Anniversary Edition scheduled for production in September 2017, so at least there is no apparent slippage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Wachsmuth
msg tools
mb
Based on

Quote:
additional possibilities for diplomatic deals.

I'm guessing that some of the changes makes cards more flexible to make deal-making easier. I have no idea what the changes to Master of Italy or Copernicus will be, but some cards could be changed to allow other powers to play it for you, promoting deals. Machiavelli: The Prince is one such example, though it is a rather radical change.

There's a fairly substantial amount of cards that require the relevant player affected to have it in hand, and not allowing other players to play it for them (e.g. you can't deal for it). These include: Huguenot Raiders, Mercator's Map, Potosi Silver Mines, Maurice of Saxony, Andrea Doria, Auld Alliance, Smallpox, Venetian Alliance, Tercios, The Wartburg, Sebastian Cabot. As is currently, if you draw these cards and is not a relevant power, they are simply dead cards for you barring Diplomatic Overture.

Of course, not all of these should necessarily be changed so any player can play them for other powers (Wartburg clearly should not!), but some of them are rather weak and don't see much play to begin with as far as I'm aware, so making it possible to use them in trade deals could be an interesting change, for example Huguenot Raiders and Potosi Silver Mines.

With the changes to Foreign War Cards there's also likely to be some change to Revolt in Ireland, Revolt in Egypt and War in Persia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Wachsmuth
msg tools
mb
Colonial Governor/Native Uprising
First new card has been posted by Ed Beach to CSW by the way, thought I'd repost it here for discussion:

Quote:
Here's the first one which is paired with an additional Colony display marker that has two sides (with the marker used as explained on the card).

Colonial Governor/Native Uprising (2 CP, part of core deck)

May be played by any power to move this marker to a new position on either side of the colony display. During the Card Draw phase of subsequent turns, No Effect results from any colony of the chosen player are converted to Card (if marker on Colonial Governor side) or Elim (if marker on Native Uprising side). Marker is removed from display at the end of the Card Draw phase in which a No Effect result is altered (though it can return if this card is played in a future turn).

My first thought is that it being in the deck from turn 1 certainly seems to make this one more likely to get played than the later colony events, which all often end up appearing too late.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hall
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wachsmuth wrote:
First new card has been posted by Ed Beach to CSW by the way, thought I'd repost it here for discussion:

Quote:
Here's the first one which is paired with an additional Colony display marker that has two sides (with the marker used as explained on the card).

Colonial Governor/Native Uprising (2 CP, part of core deck)

May be played by any power to move this marker to a new position on either side of the colony display. During the Card Draw phase of subsequent turns, No Effect results from any colony of the chosen player are converted to Card (if marker on Colonial Governor side) or Elim (if marker on Native Uprising side). Marker is removed from display at the end of the Card Draw phase in which a No Effect result is altered (though it can return if this card is played in a future turn).

My first thought is that it being in the deck from turn 1 certainly seems to make this one more likely to get played than the later colony events, which all often end up appearing too late.

The cost of establishing a new colony of 2 for Haps and 3 for others. So the only people likely to spend a 2 value card to shift the value of an existing colony will be:
a) colonial powers who have already maxed their colonies
b) non-colonial powers trying to reduce the benefit for a colonial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Wachsmuth
msg tools
mb
gamer42_au wrote:
The cost of establishing a new colony of 2 for Haps and 3 for others. So the only people likely to spend a 2 value card to shift the value of an existing colony will be:
a) colonial powers who have already maxed their colonies
b) non-colonial powers trying to reduce the benefit for a colonial.

I can see various other upsides to it and reasons you would play it.

c) it doesn't take up a Colony slot for that turn. You can add further to your Colony productivity even while also sending out a Colony. In this aspect it's a weaker version of Potosi, arguably.
d) it is potentially a way to annoy a runaway player. Not that strong on its own, but sometimes you just need to attack someone who is doing well. Though as an attack it is slow, at the earliest it will hurt them two turns from when it is played (when a colony it removed could have potentially drawn a card).
e) It is cheaper in terms of CP than sending out a Colony for England and France.
f) It can move a previously placed Colonial Governor/Native Uprising token, thus both hurting and benefiting different players in the same turn. Or helping two, or hurting two.
g) If played on yourself, it can be viewed as a way to save CP from this turn to a later one. You spend 2 CP to be very likely to draw an extra card at some later time, unless someone else plays Colonial Governor/Native Uprising before you do. The value of the average card is above 2 CP, and many cards also contain events that are worth significantly more than 2 CP to you. And maybe the extra card comes at a time where you need CPs more than when you play Colonial Governor/Native Uprising (presumably you are not going to play it for the event if you are hard pressed for CPs).
h) Since it can be played by any player on any New World player, it fits flexibly into many deals. Probably not something you'd want to deal for typically, but it can be a part of a payment for something else.

Many of these reasons are of course not enough on its own to play the event. But they can be taken into consideration, at least.

And finally since it draws additional cards, this extra card on its own is not very disruptive to Mandatory Events showing up, as Kristian Thy expressed concern about in another thread. The new French Home Card also draws cards, so this concern may be largely mitigated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davidson
United States
Orland Park
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't see where the Aztec can be considered when utilizing this card, as they are not a 'colony'; but are a conquest and should not be considered when this event is in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.