GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

7,999 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: Card Clash: A Fighting Card Game (2017 2-Player PnP Contest) - Contest Ready rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robbie A.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb

This is my entry for the 2017 Two-Player Print n Play contest!

Details
Designer/Developer: Robbie Antenesse
Players: 2
Game Time: 5–15 Minutes (untested)
Ages: 8+
Current Phase: Contest Ready

Overview
Card Clash is a quick game that sees 2 players attacking and counterattacking with cards whose type preference beats the previously played card. If your opponent can’t counter your attack with any of the 4 cards in their hand, you win the round! But each successive round adds a new set of stronger cards into both players’ decks, so you’ll want to try to get the first attack in to knock out your opponent before they get a chance to play a devastating attack! The first to win 2 rounds wins the game.

Components
80 cards (2 decks of 40)

Contest Categories
Best Date Night Game
Best Game to Play with Your Child
Best Casual/Gateway Game
Best Game with Language Independent Components
Best Use of Theme
Best New Designer
Best Game

BGG Game Page
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/225164/card-clash

Print n Play Links
Rulebook
Cards (Full Ink)
Cards (Low Ink)
Card Backs (Full Ink)

Updates
Updated Rulebook and Fixed Rigid Teleport Card 2017-06-07 17:30:21

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie A.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Card Clash: A Fighting Card Game for the 2017 2-Player PnP Contest
Here are some more details about the game and how it's played from my original first post while I get the rulebook cleaned up and sorted out.

Gameplay
Each player takes a deck, shuffles only the Round 1 cards, and draws 5 cards for their hand. The first person the put down an attack card starts the round, and the other player must play a card that can beat it based on its type or power preference. Rounds continue until one player can't counter the other's attack. There are a few more cards that get added to the deck in Rounds 2 and 3 that are stronger and have added bonuses (like doubling the attack card that was played so it's harder for the opponent to beat it), so the longer it takes to beat your opponent, the more likely it is to be knocked out right away!

Mechanics
Card preference in Card Clash works kind of like advanced Rock-Paper-Scissors. There are 3 different types of attack (Punch, Kick, and Grapple) with 3 different power levels (Quick, Balanced, and Heavy). Kick beats Punch, Punch beats Grapple, and Grapple beats Kick, while Heavy beats Balanced, Balanced beats Quick, and 2 Quicks beat Heavy. If a card is countered by a card of the same type and power, then the flow of the fight is broken and both decks are reshuffled to start the round over.

Round 2 cards can only be countered by another Round 2 card or by 2 stronger Round 1 cards, and Round 3 cards can only be beaten by another Round 3 card or a defense card.

In addition to attacks, there are a couple of defense cards that you can play. Dodge avoids any attack but lets your opponent choose the next attack, while Parry blocks any attacks and lets you choose the next attack! Block blocks any attack but breaks the flow, restarting the round while giving your opponent the first move. Shout doubles an attack card that is played with it, and Backflip avoids any attack but breaks the flow while giving you the first attack. Finally, Teleport is the same as Parry, but it doubles the attack played.

Card Distribution
Cards follow a simple 3-2-1 distribution in each round's decks. Round 1 has 3 Quick strengths of each attack type, 2 Balanced, and 1 Heavy. Round 2 has 2 regular attacks of each type and 1 special with an added effect, and Round 3 only has 1 of each. There are also 3 Dodge, 2 Parry, and 1 Block cards in the Round 1 deck, 2 Shout and 1 Backflip in Round 2, and 1 Teleport in Round 3.

Inspiration
There's this web game called Spar that I really like that uses a deck with a certain number of cards numbered 1–10, and you have to play them in increasing order or else you lose the round. I wanted to do something similar that would take more thought and had more room for flavor text. While Spar is a game of 1-upping your opponent, Card Clash is more like those scenes in Dragon Ball Z where they're fighting ridiculously fast way too close together blocking and countering every attack blow for blow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed! Looks interesting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie A.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
Subscribed! Looks interesting

Thanks!

----------------------

On another note, I just tried my prototype with a friend at work, and while the game works really well, I think having a 5-card hand is a bit much. It's too easy to counter, and I can see every round going on too long when Blocks are in use, because Blocks cause the round to start over.

With fewer cards, there's more of a chance that you won't have the best card to counter with, which is kind of the feel that I want. I want both strategy and luck involved! And I also want it to be possible to actually end a round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie A.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Card Clash: A Fighting Card Game for the 2017 Two-Player PnP Contest
Update time! I'm working on getting the cards designed at the moment, but I only have about an hour per day to work on them.

Anyway, here's what I've got for the general design so far, featuring a basic Fluid style card and an advanced Rigid style card:

The cards are mirrored so that the Round icons (the circles) and the Power icons (little swirly things) will always overlap on the same side as you're playing them, no matter which style you play.

I'm working in raw SVGs in Inkscape at the moment, but I'm going to do some post-production work when I'm done with all the cards to get them looking like gritty, paint-spattered fight posters or something.

I'm also debating whether or not to add color to the cards, because color is nice, but I really like the bold black and white I have here. At most, for the non-low-color version, I'm thinking I'll make the Fluid card background solid black with its black swipe accent thing being white, because then it would be a full mirror effect, and I think the contrast would look amazing. Also, it'll be impossible to mix up the decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie A.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I've updated the OP with links to the WIP rulebook and cards!

I just finished the base level card set without any fancy extra styling. I'm honestly not sure if it needs extra fanciness because I think the solid, sharp edges actually look pretty nice, but I'll try it out and see when I get a chance.

I need to double-check the rulebook when I get a chance to see if I missed anything or if it needs any cleaning up, and I want to get some card backs finished as well in case people want to print them out. After I've hammered down the final design, I'll work on designing a low-ink set of cards, too. It'll be mostly the same, just without any full black backgrounds and gray accents instead of full black.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie A.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
The rulebook is finished!

I'm going to be working on the low-ink version of the cards as soon as possible, and once they're done, I'll focus on making card backs for the full-ink version and perhaps adding a little flair to the cards.

I rather like the bold, straight lines right now, though, so I may not change them after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Re: [Playtesting] Card Clash: A Fighting Card Game (2017 2-Player PnP Contest) - Components Ready
PLAYTESTER SPOT PRIZES

This game is eligible for a playtester spot prize for the next week!

See this post for more details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie A.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Re: [Playtesting] Card Clash: A Fighting Card Game (2017 2-Player PnP Contest) - Components Ready
ALL COMPONENTS READY, INCLUDING LOW INK!!!

The first post has all the links you need, but here are the links again:

Rulebook
Cards (Full Ink)
Card Backs (Full Ink)
Cards (Low Ink)

Have at it! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh! This looks like a very good and fun game (that I have to try)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Hoddinott
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I had a look at Spar to see the derivation. Its ok, but random card draws govern the outcome totally. I'm expecting there is more to Card Clash.
I am not looking forward to printing the cards. The layout means cutting them is more tedious than necessary. Perhaps another layout??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie A.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Quadrante wrote:
Oh! This looks like a very good and fun game (that I have to try)!

Thanks! I hope you find it as fun as it looks!

GarryHoddinott wrote:
I had a look at Spar to see the derivation. Its ok, but random card draws govern the outcome totally. I'm expecting there is more to Card Clash.
I am not looking forward to printing the cards. The layout means cutting them is more tedious than necessary. Perhaps another layout??

The random card draws are definitely still a factor here, though, because of the 4-card hand. If you playtest it, you can try more or fewer cards if you'd like (originally it was 5 cards), but more cards in the hand = more options to counter attacks with = exponentially longer game. Countering endlessly is fun, but I think the stress of potentially not having what you need drives the game forward. We'll see though, I guess!

For some reason I didn't think of the format being a hinderance, but I totally get it. I'll upload a new format with the cards all together as soon as I get a chance! Hopefully before tonight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GarryHoddinott wrote:

What was the problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie A.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Quadrante wrote:
GarryHoddinott wrote:

What was the problem?

I'm pretty sure it's just the number of cards combined with the horizontal space between them—makes it harder to cut multiple sheets at once.

I'm updating the cards so they're all up together with dotted cut lines to help with cutting multiple sheets at once, but they won't be online until I'm able to get home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Alamantus wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's just the number of cards combined with the horizontal space between them—makes it harder to cut multiple sheets at once.
Ah, I guess I have the same problem then, as I left space for bleed?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie A.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Alamantus wrote:
GarryHoddinott wrote:

For some reason I didn't think of the format being a hinderance, but I totally get it. I'll upload a new format with the cards all together as soon as I get a chance! Hopefully before tonight?

I've updated the cards so they should be easier to cut out! There are also dotted cut lines to help a little bit too.

Let me know if I misunderstood and that's not what you meant. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Hoddinott
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks. You understood exactly. I have returned from hols with about 30 games to pnp for the various contests on at the moment. I very much enjoy seeing the creative genius of you designer peeps. Thanks for sharing your makings with us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Yup, I can attest that Gary is a dedicated and energetic playtester. Without him and others like him these contests would not be nearly as successful, and fun.

Gary, I hope you are well rested from your holiday because 30 is a lot of games to get through. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie A.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Quadrante wrote:
Alamantus wrote:

Ah, I guess I have the same problem then, as I left space for bleed?!

Abstract Network only has 12 cards, so it's not really an issue, plus the bleed space makes sure the cards look really nice.

Card Clash has 80 cards spread across 10 pages, so making them easy to cut in bulk is a lot more important.

---

Thanks Gary and John! I hope you enjoy my game when/if you get to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
milo del mal
Mexico
CDMX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.

I am already reading your rules, and your game looks interesting. In a way, kind of similar to mine (I do not why people compare mine to Rock, Paper Scissors, even thou I do not have an X beat Y beats Z beats X mechanic).

That said, I was going to play it tonight, but my fiancé had a issue with her work payment and she was not in the mood for anything.

I will hit you up tomorrow.

By the way, I think the cards are not in the right ammouts as said in the instructions. I counted 23 strict and 25 free one circle cards... Maybe I missprinted or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie A.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for checking it out! I hope your fiancé is able to get that payment figured out without too much trouble!

milo_del_mal wrote:
By the way, I think the cards are not in the right ammouts as said in the instructions. I counted 23 strict and 25 free one circle cards... Maybe I missprinted or something.

I'm not sure how that happened for you, but in the file, there are 24 Round One cards for each deck... Maybe double-check that it printed correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
milo del mal
Mexico
CDMX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Alamantus wrote:
Thanks for checking it out! I hope your fiancé is able to get that payment figured out without too much trouble!

milo_del_mal wrote:

I'm not sure how that happened for you, but in the file, there are 24 Round One cards for each deck... Maybe double-check that it printed correctly?

The mistake in the full ink version is one of the Teleports is missing two symbols. The other errors were my own human errors, I counted every card and I found out I was missing two kicks.

I already played with my fiancé. I am leaving you feedback immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
milo del mal
Mexico
CDMX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Card clash.

Two matches.

The players:

Me: I like all kind of games, from love letter, to Shogun (Euro + wargame), Agricola (Worker placement euro), Race for the Galaxy (streamlined 4X). I also like sports. I am very competitive, but when it comes to board games, I lower a notch down, to keep it friendly and fun.

My fiancé: Kind of casual player, she likes Pandemic, Dixit, Mysterium, and she quite enjoys agricola, but I think that is the heaviest she plays, and not very often. She refuses to play very long or complex games.

We played: One practice match and one full match.

We might have played something wrong, we need a few clarifications on the rules:

* Breaking the flow, point 2 says: "Shuffle the remaining cards". Does it mean ALL the cards, both used and not used? Or just the cards we did not use? We just shuffled the cards we did not use, bringing us to our next point.

* What do you do when you run out of cards? Nothing in the instruction booklet says anything about it. We just passed to next round... but if we played wrong, then, I guess you just reshuffle cards that were not eliminated by a flow break and continue.

* Doubling power: We did not get it, but if my previous point stands, and we were playing wrong, Does it doubles the "quick - medium - heavy" power? So, does that mean they are useless with round 2 cards?

*Priorities: Punch beats grapple beats kick beats punch, right? But then... A medium punch can be beaten by any strength kick or a heavy punch, right? But not by a grapple, even if it is a heavy grapple, am I right? If so, we were playing that right.

What happened during our game:
Game started really quick, we threw cards left and right, and so forth... Eventually we realized no-one was really connecting. We finished round one with no one connecting against each other, we just passed to round two not using round one cards, which, now I assume was wrong.

She connected in round two, we ran out of cards in round 3, declaring her the victor.

She said the game has a lot of potential, she really liked it and felt like fighting; she said it was very dynamic, but it was hard to connect.

I... I think we were not playing completely right, some things in the instructions were not completely clear to me... But that is the point of testing. Even thou, getting the notion of how the game should be played, maybe reduce the card count a little bit, and make card elimination faster. In a way it feels pretty much just play whatever you can play, which is pretty nice for a filler. After a few adjustments, and if the deck was smaller, I would most def play it while waiting for food.

That said, I hope this feedback was good enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie A.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
milo_del_mal wrote:
The mistake in the full ink version is one of the Teleports is missing two symbols.

Oh! I see it now, on the Rigid style Teleport card. Thank you for letting me know! I'll fix that as soon as I can.

Now for the rules clarifications:

milo_del_mal wrote:
* Breaking the flow, point 2 says: "Shuffle the remaining cards". Does it mean ALL the cards, both used and not used? Or just the cards we did not use? We just shuffled the cards we did not use, bringing us to our next point.

I was afraid that wouldn't be completely clear in the rules, sorry about that! But yes, you are correct that breaking the flow means you shuffle all cards, both used and unused, excluding your card that broke the flow and the opponent's card that the flow was broken on.

So if you play a Round One Quick Punch against a Round One Quick Punch, those 2 Round One Quick Punch cards are set aside and all the other cards excluding those two (the "remaining cards") are re-shuffled.

milo_del_mal wrote:
* What do you do when you run out of cards? Nothing in the instruction booklet says anything about it. We just passed to next round... but if we played wrong, then, I guess you just reshuffle cards that were not eliminated by a flow break and continue.

I should probably clarify in the rules that if you happen to run out of cards in your deck. The last person who plays a card wins the round because the opponent has "run out of moves" for the round and cannot counter it.

milo_del_mal wrote:
* Doubling power: We did not get it, but if my previous point stands, and we were playing wrong, Does it doubles the "quick - medium - heavy" power? So, does that mean they are useless with round 2 cards?

Doubling power is admittedly a little bit confusing, so I should put some example cases in the rules. I intended it for use like this: "Opponent plays a heavy kick. All you have is a quick kick and a shout, you can play the shout with the quick kick to beat it by effectively turning the shout into a second quick kick."

Put more simply, if something is doubled, its power is doubled, which allows it to beat cards of the same type with a stronger power. It also makes the doubled card only beatable by the attack type that is prioritized over it.
Alternatively, the rules also specify this:
Card Clash Rulebook wrote:
Round Two cards can only be beaten by either another Round Two (or Round Three) card of the superior type or 2 Round One cards of the superior type at any strength level.

So if someone plays a Round Two Punch card, then you can beat it with a doubled Round One Kick card of any power level. A "doubled" card counts as 2 of that card.

milo_del_mal wrote:
*Priorities: Punch beats grapple beats kick beats punch, right? But then... A medium punch can be beaten by any strength kick or a heavy punch, right? But not by a grapple, even if it is a heavy grapple, am I right? If so, we were playing that right.

Yes, that is correct. A grapple cannot beat a punch. However, I should specify in the rules that any card from a higher round can beat any card from a lower round, which means that a Round Two Grapple does beat a Round One Punch of any power level. That was not stated in the rules, but I will update them to include this point.

milo_del_mal wrote:
What happened during our game:
Game started really quick, we threw cards left and right, and so forth... Eventually we realized no-one was really connecting. We finished round one with no one connecting against each other, we just passed to round two not using round one cards, which, now I assume was wrong.

Yes, as I specified above but not in the rules, the last person to throw a card down wins the round, and no matter what, the following rounds always add the next set of cards into your deck.

Does that all make sense? I was trying to keep the rulebook small, but I clearly should expand it to make it more clear how to do certain things.

milo_del_mal wrote:
I... I think we were not playing completely right, some things in the instructions were not completely clear to me... But that is the point of testing. Even thou, getting the notion of how the game should be played, maybe reduce the card count a little bit, and make card elimination faster. In a way it feels pretty much just play whatever you can play, which is pretty nice for a filler. After a few adjustments, and if the deck was smaller, I would most def play it while waiting for food.

That said, I hope this feedback was good enough.

Thank you so much for playing and giving your feedback! I really, really appreciate it!

I have a bit of clarification to do in the rulebook, but hopefully what I wrote here makes sense? Please let me know if you are still confused about anything.

With the rules clarified, would you still say there should be fewer cards? I was thinking that fewer cards would result in unwinnable games or only winning by default from running out of cards, but I guess that should be tested as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
milo del mal
Mexico
CDMX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Alamantus wrote:

With the rules clarified, would you still say there should be fewer cards? I was thinking that fewer cards would result in unwinnable games or only winning by default from running out of cards, but I guess that should be tested as well.

I need to play the game correctly.
In my mind, as you could tell, I got the right idea from the rules but I was not 100% sure what was the right way to play.

I mean, your rules are simple and we picked it up quick, it is just the edge-cases and specific rules.

I still do not agree on "if a player runs out of cards he loses", because the starting player will always run out of cards, unless ONLY the card that broke flow is taken out (Currently you take out both cards).

Maybe you could reduce the cards on round one after implementing the rule above, and letting the players reshuffle cards once they run out, leading to increasingly smaller hands, with less useful cards because you were forced to break flow.

Once again, I hope my feedback was good enough, I tried my best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.