Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's a long shot (they've never done it so far as I know), but if there's ever been a cmon game that deserves resin minis this is the one.

Go ahead, crush my dreams with all the logistical and financial reasons this can't be done cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
ScoobyG wrote:
I know it's a long shot (they've never done it so far as I know), but if there's ever been a cmon game that deserves resin minis this is the one.

Go ahead, crush my dreams with all the logistical and financial reasons this can't be done cry

why would resin minis cost more? Plastic resin with an mfi of 1.3 is $2.85/lb. Do you mean pewter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
No. Supposedly they are using a more complicated type of mold this time that allows for a more detailed plastic though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Lowecore wrote:
ScoobyG wrote:

why would resin minis cost more? Plastic resin with an mfi of 1.3 is $2.85/lb. Do you mean pewter?

Resin minis are typically hand poured in small batched with a very sort lifespan for the molds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
cormor321 wrote:
Lowecore wrote:
ScoobyG wrote:

Resin minis are typically hand poured in small batched with a very sort lifespan for the molds.

huh interesting. all our molds are made of stainless steel. Why would you use a soft compound mold? Cheaper I guess?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Lowecore wrote:
cormor321 wrote:
Lowecore wrote:
ScoobyG wrote:

huh interesting. all our molds are made of stainless steel. Why would you use a soft compound mold? Cheaper I guess?

and why hand poured!??

minis are so small, we'd knock out 200,000 in a 12 hour shift. Must take a long time to make minis this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Lowecore wrote:
cormor321 wrote:
Lowecore wrote:
ScoobyG wrote:

The type of high quality resin David is asking about is considerably more brittle than plastic. All but the flattest, least detailed pieces would be destroyed removing them from a steel mold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Lowecore wrote:
Lowecore wrote:
cormor321 wrote:
Lowecore wrote:
ScoobyG wrote:

and why hand poured!??

minis are so small, we'd knock out 200,000 in a 12 hour shift. Must take a long time to make minis this way.

https://manticblog.com/2017/02/28/mantic-games-resin-miniatu...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
mbmbmbmbmb
It's already been asked a few times in the KS comments section.
Thiago answered that CMON has no plans to make resin minis for RS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
cormor321 wrote:
Lowecore wrote:
Lowecore wrote:
cormor321 wrote:
Lowecore wrote:
ScoobyG wrote:

and why hand poured!??

https://manticblog.com/2017/02/28/mantic-games-resin-miniatu...

What a great article! Thank you for posting. I was really interested in how this process is done on such a small scale.

I work in plastics but we mass produce the items. First step for us is the commissioning of a mould, all our moulds are made of stainless steel for durability. Then the mould is adjusted for the customers preferred thickness and the colour of virgin resin is chosen. Depending on how stiff the customer wants the plastic widgets we can soften the compound with magnesium silicate.

The first part of the process is the extruding of the plastic that will be used in the thermoforming process. We also use a vacuum sealing system in in our molding machines, but our form times are dramitically shorter. From super-heating, to forming, and cooling... it takes about 30 seconds per mould impression. Actual forming time is less than 3 seconds.

After cooling the product being produced moves along the assembly line to be die punched and packaged, then out to shipping and to our customers. We are capable of taking an order for up to a million units and have it produced and delivered within 14 days. To think about someone producing these miniatures in a single room by hand is just mind blowing for me hehe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ScoobyG wrote:

Well, it's not like CMON's the only manufacturer of Japanese feudal miniatures.

Lead Adventurers has a forum that might help: http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?board=86.0

Zenit Miniatures had some recommendations:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Schmidt
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
ScoobyG wrote:

I've never seen a resin miniature. Are they really that much nicer?

Though if they are more brittle I definitely want the plastic because I value durability very highly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skies wrote:
ScoobyG wrote:

Though if they are more brittle I definitely want the plastic because I value durability very highly.

They typically show fine detail better than plastics but yes, they are brittle and will break much more easily than anything but the hardest plastics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skies wrote:
ScoobyG wrote:

There are a couple of resin vs. hard plastic comparison shots on this page for Kingdom Death (they're of the Phoenix model):

https://shop.kingdomdeath.com/products/kingdom-death-monster

EDIT: Also, just google "resin vs. plastic miniatures" or something like that and you should find a bunch of comparison images.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just pulled a few minis from different cmon games; kaos ball, zombicide black plague, rum & bones 2nd tide, blood rage. All these games are top tier when it comes to mini quality. However, one of these games stands above the others; I'd totally forgotten how awesome Kaos Ball's minis look. The level of detail is pretty incredible:

Also it seems it's a different type of material than the other games - plastic seems harder. Not 100% sure about this.

tl;dr if we can't get resin can we get kaos ball quality? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Terpstra
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Anyone know what the actual Rising Sun minis are made from? Are they PVC still (like Blood Rage) or are they ABS (like Scythe)?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.