3 Posts

Hold the Line: The American Revolution» Forums » Strategy

Subject: The Louisbourg Scenario - some tweaking needed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Subudai (Pete) Khan
Australia
flag msg tools
By now, anyone who has read my commentary or game reports knows I am a huge fan of this game. However, the Louisbourg scenario has us stumped. Try as we might, there seems to be no way the British can win; but historically, they did. This being our 24th game of HTL, we are pretty sure that poor tactics is not the reason for our successive failures. Both of us are ex-military with decades of analysing real wars, modern and from this period (we have a total of over 75 years of military service). We have tried a number of different tactical approaches; none have worked, at least not in 18 game turns.

We feel a major flaw of the scenario is that the French do not need to hold the entrenchment line to win; they just wait until the right time, then pull off and use their cannon and other shooting to wipe out the closest British units, whilst the French avoid losing their own units. Effectively, the French are able to a-historically trade ground for time, but this was not an option for them in the actual campaign. This battle was about the British securing a beachhead that then meant the British could land the stores and guns that led to the later siege of the port and fortress (which are not on the map).

In the existing scenario the British invariably lose, no matter whether you try frontal assaults, double envelopments, single envelopments or a combination (we've played seven times and seven times the French have won easily). For us, that line of four VP hexes in the rear is just not credible as an objective because the British cannot get there and survive French musket fire from the woods two hexes away. We feel the French should be obliged to fight near their redoubts, not use a successive line of good woods hexes as cover to then pick off the British as they advance. In the real battle, the major British casualties came about because the British had to - in game terms - close assault the redoubt hexes to clear the beach hexes of French cannon fire.

We have three suggested fixes for this scenario: either place the two deepest VP hexes in a different place, i.e. in the two depth redoubt hexes (with a redoubt hex between them) thereby making a fight for the redoubt a consideration for the French i.e. the French abandon the redoubt at their peril; or, give the British 4 x starting AP each turn (a total of seven AP on a good turn); or, give the British 24, not 18, game turns to win. The first or third options are our preferred solution.

Thoughts anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aranubis
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
looks like someone else shared a similar experience
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/992695/louisbourg-june-8-20...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, quite agree. I soloed this about four times and the Brits lost every time.

I really like this game and particularly like the revamp but I've had to tweak about seven of the AWI scenarios (I haven't finished the F & I wars yet). I try to make the changes small but significant and so I like your suggestion about moving two of the VP markers into the fort. They would certainly focus the mind of the French player to defend the position.

In some ways it would also focus the British player on attacking the fort rather than spending all of the available time trying to sneak around the French flanks to get to the VP markers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.